{Closed.new thread for the CAL}Begenning Threadies CAL soon**

heart

Wendy, I hope I didn't confuse you! And thread sizing is confusing!:think I hope you can find the #3 thread. Just read Sarah's post again. I think it was helpful but I don't exactly remember what she said!

The bigger the size # on thread, the finer it is. Regular sewing thread is a size numbered in the 3 digits!

The Aunt Lydia's 100% mercerized cotton, Size 3 thread I have recommends a size 3.5mm crochet hook.

Hope this is helpful!

:manyheart:hug

Ok, I'm not sure how to answer the questions about thread with out giving it away. The pattern is written specifically with this suprise element in mind. However, If your size is off, you can substitute a different suprise element, we will just have to get creative with it. (I know I'm confusing you now, but it will make sence in a few days)

So, as long as it is cotton, and you can use a size D hook. It should work.

We need the liquid starch b/c it gets really stiff and holds shape. The spray starch doesn't hold/harden as stiff.

I am a little embarrassed, but I have never used the Senso.

If the Semco Milford knitting crochet cotton is almost the same thickness as 3 strands of # 10 held together, and you can use the D hook (3.25mm) Then it will work.

The cotton starches the best, I did acrylic 1 time..and it won't happen again. lol..it was terrible.

But the cotton blend may work. (Loopy1) Might be worth a try. :)

I hope I've helped. I don't want to confuse anyone, just be as helpful as possible. I'll work up a swatch and post the results in a minute. Maby that will help.

The next Mystery CAL will be in # 10 thread. It's more redily available, and it would be fun too, there are more colors to choose from. ;)

Here is a very simple way to check your gauge... 2 rows of 7dc equals 1"

ch 10, dc in the 4th ch from the hook, and in each ch across. equals 7 dc, ch3 turn

dc in each dc across equals 7dc, lay this on a ruler, it should be 1" square, so it is 1" across and up.

( or 2 and a half cm ) same length.

** If it is off by like a millimeter, it will still work, gauge is not to important, were just trying to figure out the size the the other thread.

gauge... 2 rows of 7dc equals 1"

ch 10, dc in the 4th ch from the hook, and in each ch across. equals 7 dc, ch3 turn

dc in each dc across equals 7dc, lay this on a ruler, it should be 1" square, so it is 1" across and up.

Sarah, if you count the 3 skipped chains as 1 dc, then there are 8 dc. For the 2nd row are you counting the ch 3 as 1 dc?

Whether I use Aunt Lydia's or Senso, I can almost get the 1" in 2 rows but I'm about 1-1/2" across with the 8 dc.

:hug:manyheart

Don't count the 3 skipped chains, they tend to bump out and make it look larger than if it were a regular dc.

Across is definately more important than the rows going up.

Do you have a size C hook? Maby try that, I don't have that size.

Can somebody tell me how this works? I'm intrigued but totally confused.

Also, where can I find photos of threads and their thicknesses with something alongside for scale? I have a bunch of mystery thread I got from yard sales, have never bought any labelled from the store, so I have no idea whether anything I have will work.

Maybe I am asking too much and should just watch and learn this time....!

The only difference in crocheting with yarn and with thread is the thread is much skinnier. The instructions are exactly the same. Here is a photo of # 10 next to # 3, the # 3 is the thicker of the two threads. As far as unmarked thread, you could have any size. From # 3 to # 80. My experience is only up to # 20. (Mostly # 10 and then the # 3 to help others try it out.)

I don't think the photo will show exact size, but you can see how much difference there is in the two sizes...May not looklike much, but believe me, it is. Clickable

th_threadsizes.jpg

Oh thanks so much, Heart, for posting this picture. I can't believe you took a pic like that just now!

What I meant by 'how this works' is the mystery CAL part. Is there another discussion thread that explains what it is and how it happens? Do we all crochet along at exactly the same time period, are the instructions releases bit by bit....is it as simple (and fun) as following pattern and not knowing what ti will be when you're done? I guess that is the kind of info I am wondering about.

Thanks again for your quick reply about the thread thicknesses.

Jacquie

Silver Dragon, I'm sorry, I forgot to answer your first question. Each morning, starting tomorrow morning, I will post a few rows of a pattern I made up, and as each day goes by, you will get more and more of the pattern to work. In about a week, you will have a finished project, It's a mystery because you don't know what you are makning untill you are done. It is fun. Basically all you need is # 3 cotton thread, a size D hook (3.25mm) and some liquid starch. There is a suprise element, but most of us already have it in our kitchen. It is very cheap, easy to get, and is available pretty much everywhere.

You are very welcome. I hope you will join us tomorrow. ;)

Oh thanks so much, Heart, for posting this picture. I can't believe you took a pic like that just now!

What I meant by 'how this works' is the mystery CAL part. Is there another discussion thread that explains what it is and how it happens? Do we all crochet along at exactly the same time period, are the instructions releases bit by bit....is it as simple (and fun) as following pattern and not knowing what ti will be when you're done? I guess that is the kind of info I am wondering about.

Thanks again for your quick reply about the thread thicknesses.

Jacquie

Sarah will post a new thread called Spring Time Mystery CAL (I believe that's the title...she mentioned it in Post #1). Each day she will release a bit of the instructions. You make it up on your own time. This is for beginner threadies so it should be simple AND FUN :cheer:hug:jumpyay:woo:dance:ghug. You can post anytime with any comments or questions you may have. Sometimes, we post pics of our progress or not until the item is finished. We can also try to guess what it will be.:clap Hope that answers your questions. If not, ask again and ask more!

:hug:manyheart

Sarah, I don't have a C hook but just measuring the 7 dc I get 1-1/4" with both threads. I emailed Senso to see if this thread is starchable. But who knows when I'll hear from 'em.

Nicky, you should be fine. We'll all help you. I learned to crochet with baby yarn which is a fine yarn. A chain is still a chain as well as a sc, dc, etc. Hang in here with us!

Ok I managed to get #5 thread. trouble is no matter what hook I use I cant get the swatch right. Are we supposed to have 8dcs there including the 3chains. I keep getting 1and a half across and 3/4inch high using a 3.5mm.

I think I will just keep with the 3.5mm hook and see how I go. I also forgot that we needed springy colors and went for my favorite color blue.

Blue is perfect.

Less than a ball is needed.

I'm going right now to start the new thread with today's instructions. Sorry I'm a little late this morning. Hubby and I were discussing me going to school.

Ok I managed to get #5 thread. trouble is no matter what hook I use I cant get the swatch right. Are we supposed to have 8dcs there including the 3chains. I keep getting 1and a half across and 3/4inch high using a 3.5mm.

Go ahead and start with what you have..we will work out the gauge issue with the suprise elemen

Aly...I've started a new thread.

Archived