Casserole Carrier

Croshay

Question

Any idea where to find a pattern for a casserole holder with a cover to hold the lid on? I saw one years ago but can't remember where. It had a hole in the middle of the cover for the "handle" in the top of the lid to the dish, and if I remember correctly, the crocheted lid was attached to the crocheted base somehow & maybe SLID into place. :think

Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

I saw a similar thing at a potluck but the owner had bought it a craft show and didn't have any idea where it came from. I have been looking for something like this for a couple of years and haven't found it yet. Hope someone can help us out.

I don't have a "pattern" per se for the one I made for myself but I can explain how I did it for my 9x13 dish. (everything is done in sc and I used some cotton yarn I had sitting around)

I started off by making a rectangle the same size as the base of the dish.)You can do this granny style or just doing a base chain the length of the dish and sc additional rows as needed.) I then started going up the sides by sc in each stich w/o increasing for a few rows. The dish I have has a little bit of an angle to it so around row 3 or 4 of the sides I treated them like granny squares by doing 3 stiches in the corners every other row till I had the same depth as the dish (with the lid on). This accomadated the angles w/o a problem. (If you dish doesn't have the angles you can just sc in each stich)Next I made a separate rectangle about an inch longer and wider than the lid for the top (so I could get my hand in there). I attached 1/2 of the top rectangle to the 1st piece and left 1/2 unattached to act as the flap. The pieces don't match up exactly due to the size difference so some fo the base's scs were attached to 2 of the top piece's scs.

Hope this helps

I have a question about the casserole caddies. Don't they stretch with the weight of the filled dish?

Haven't made one, maybe someone else can say from experience, but I would imagine that the ones in this style would when picking it up, unless you used a very non-stretchy yarn, like rayon...

Archived