Converting Square Afghan to Rectangular Shape

Croshay

Question

I need some suggestions for making my next Lace & Bobbles afghan in a rectangular shape instead of a square. I thought I could just make the square as it is in the pattern & then add a few rows to each of 2 ends, and then put a border all the way around it. But I don't think that would look right where the border would be attached to those extra rows - because the border would be worked into the SIDES of those stitches (not in the top of the stitches like in the "square" part). I hope this makes sense....and I hope somebody has some good suggestions because I really want to make this! :think

Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

The center is a circle...then it turns into a square...so that would be a good point to change it into a rectangle (by just adding a few extra rows on each of 2 ends of the square)...but then I think it's going to be a major headache working the rest of the rnds because the number of stitches is not going to work out perfectly. I really don't think I have the patience to have to fudge every row.

It could probably be made into an oval...but I'm back to my problem...the rest of the row counts will be off after that. Since that's in the very center of the afghan, that means the rest of the whole afghan is gonna be a hassle.

I'm thinking it will be easier to convert this into a rectangle after the whole square part is worked & maybe just add some rows to 2 ends...but then I think the edging is not going to look right.

I've just gotta get this figured out. I made this in a square and now I'm dying to make it in a rectangle for my bed!

I was thinking about this too lol. It looks like you'd have to elongate the 2nd section right after the circle. You could do the square that's there and add to bothe ends of the rows. Since it's in rounds you don't have to worry about the ch st end.

Or you could do the top and bottom in dc and the sides in sc.

Make sure you post some pics so we can see how it's turning out!!!!!

RoseRed, I'll be glad to post some pics if I can get this figured out.

I went to buy yarn today & talked myself out of buying any because I don't want to get frustrated with this & have it end up in a pile. :eek

Maybe a better solution is to find a sampler type afghan that's already in a rectangular shape - but NOT squares sewn together! :thair

It could probably be made into an oval...but I'm back to my problem...the rest of the row counts will be off after that. Since that's in the very center of the afghan, that means the rest of the whole afghan is gonna be a hassle.

I'm thinking it will be easier to convert this into a rectangle after the whole square part is worked & maybe just add some rows to 2 ends...but then I think the edging is not going to look right.

I've just gotta get this figured out. I made this in a square and now I'm dying to make it in a rectangle for my bed!

so, I'm guessing there's a specific pattern or stitch count for each round, not like a granny where you can just add and everything will work out?

if this is the case, than it would be best to do the increaing of the ends after it is finished, before putting on the edging, but then you don't know if this is really going to look right. if it doesn't look right, then you would end of frogging, and end up with a square, which defeats the whole purpose!

sorry I wasn't able to help you figure this out. maybe someone else will be able to figure this out for you. good luck.

Each round has a different stitch count, so you're right & it's not as simple as just enlarging a granny square. Thanks anyway!

Hopefully somebody smarter than me will come along & be able to figure this out. :blush

Archived