Dyeing Cotton yarn tutorial

sammimag

• 3 months later...

Perfect!!!!

My husband works for a clothing manufacturer. Recently, while cleaning up after the company moved, he found a cone of thread that looks to be about the same as size 3 or 5. It's white cotton, and I was really wondering what I could do with it. Well, now I know!!!!

Well, I made the attempt to dye my thread this weekend......I picked up a kit at WalMart with yellow, blue and red in it, and started with red. I should have washed the thread before-hand. :angry But, I was able to work the color into the places I wanted it. Then I started with the blue......and had an idea! It's patriotic!!! I left off the yellow completely, and wound up with a tye-dye effect red, white and blue!!! :D

I washed my hanks (I made 4), and was very surprised when they didn't stay together as nicely as I thought they would (well maybe I should have known.....:blush ). They are on a drying rack now, because I couldn't bear the thought of the tangled mess I would wind up with if I put them in the dryer!!! I'll put some batteries in my trusty little camera, and share the results later on!!!

I bought some yarn and a pattern from Lion Brand online that has instructions on how to dye yarn with Kool Aide in addition to the pattern itself (a knitted or crocheted hat, can't recall which pattern it was). I did attend some years back a dyeing workshop via my Crochet Guild chapter at a yarn shop way up north of me in Santa Rosa, CA I believe it was. It was a blast.

I bought some yarn and a pattern from Lion Brand online that has instructions on how to dye yarn with Kool Aide in addition to the pattern itself (a knitted or crocheted hat, can't recall which pattern it was). I did attend some years back a dyeing workshop via my Crochet Guild chapter at a yarn shop way up north of me in Santa Rosa, CA I believe it was. It was a blast.

Just a reminder, kool-aide works with wool yarn not with cotton yarn. Kool-aide works with wool yarn because it's an acid dye and acid dyes work with protien fibers (wool) not cellulose fibers(cotton)

Well, here it is......my first attempt at dyeing yarn!!!!!

It really looks a mess, doesn't it? When hubby was coming up the stairs, he saw the hanks hanging out to dry, and thought they had frayed and unravelled...... He thought he was going into walk into the living room, and find me upset!!! :eek

There are 4 200 yard hanks that are ready to be made into something cool......a shawl, maybe?

RedWhiteBlueYarn.jpg

nice results. Have fun working with it!

I dyed a skirt, that's now stretched more than I anticipated, and so needs a tall thin person (about 6 foot?). the color turned out well. I dipped yarn in the leftovers, (some peaches and cream), and it took the color well. but I want to add some more color before I post a px. And I most of it for this summer, when we do our tye dye fun during camping. (turquoise and green...aqua...to match the bathroom, can't wait) :)

Christi - I am dealing with the same issue after my first try at dyeing. I put my size 10 cotton thread hanks in a little lingerie bag (individually, not together) to rinse them on the gentle cycle...won't do that again. I have 3 400 yard hanks to wind into balls with my trusty ball winder. I attempted the first tonight, and well, lets just say its not going well. After a few hours I set it down, and I think my daughter is working on it now. I was pleased with my first attempt at dyeing, but I learned my lesson on the rinsing in the machine. If I ever get them untangled, I will post pics.

It took a while to untangle and wind them into balls, but it wasn't really all that bad...... I spent 2 evenings watching tv with hubby untangling and winding by hand (read: no swift or winder :( ). I found it relaxing, believe it or not!!

I worked on it while watching tv too. I think the winder is a hinderance right now. I took it off and began winding by hand because I needed to go over and under threads and I couldn't do that with it on the winder. I figure I can wind it after it is in ball form. I don't think a swift would have helped in with it in the state it was in. I wonder though if I had used a swift to "hank" the thread instead of using a chair, if it would have made a difference in the end result.

Any other dyers out there have any tips on how to keep it from tangling during the dyeing process? Obviously, don't put it in the machine. LOL I would like to do more, and there is obviously a better (and right) way of doing it. I just don't want to spend more time untangling my thread than it took me to dye it!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

Just thought I would share this tip to keep the yarn untangled:

When you are tying the ends of the yarn together, wind each end of the yarn around separate halves of the yarn before tying. Not sure if I am giving you the right picture, but you will form a figure of eight with the yarn ends. You will do this with additional lengths of the yarn around the whole skein. This will keep the yarn from tangling.

Archived