Speaking of "am I normal", how many projects is too many?

I decided to really prioritize the many projects I have going right now, so I wrote out a list in excel of what project I'm working on, who it's for and what needs to get done first.

I have 12 projects I HAVE to finish in the next two months; one I have to finish by the end of May; three, possibly four afghans that I need to finish by Christmastime and 4 projects for myself that I've set aside and are in danger of becoming UFOs if I don't work on them soon.

I have a total of 25 projects in some state of completion - with them started or promised to be done, and one afghan that I have planned as a "generic winter holiday" gift for my brother.

What is the greatest number of projects you've had at one time?

1. Mystery Item for Spring Swap
  2. Mystery Item for Spring Swap
  3. Mystery Item for Spring Swap
  4. Mystery Item for Spring Swap
  5. Mystery Item for Spring Swap
  6. Mystery Item for Spring Swap
  7. Mystery Item for Spring Swap
  8. Mystery Item for Spring Swap
  9. Baby Blanket for daughter's OT
  10. Ripple Afghan for my Grandma based on the N-hook quick ripple pattern from here
  11. Round Ripple Babyghan
  12. Purse for Purse Swap
  13. Work Sweater for my Mom (haven't started, but have promised it to her by her birthday
  14. Carson - 24 point round ripple (These three kiddos are the the ones I got all the yarn and squares donated for; after seeing the 24 point round ripples, I LOVED them, and it totally solves the problem of having different sized squares - I plan on putting squares in the regular points, too, and working around them, so they all get used)
  15. Imi - 24 point round ripple
  16. Kirsten - 24 point round ripple
  17. Daughter's other OT - Awesome 'Possum
  18. Me - Graphic Granny Afghan, started, but I'm only working on it sporadically
  19. Matthew (my brother) - Patchwork scrap afghan; this pattern is from a booklet that was just RAOK'd to me - no yarn for it but I'm hoping to have it done by Yule or his birthday next year
  20. My cat - Cat Bed - from a free pattern, started with scrap yarn and currently set aside
  21. Me - Knit scarf, knit socks; currently set aside
  22. Me - Bell Sleeve Tunic; currently set aside
  23. Me - Trellis Shawl; currently set aside
  24. Thread MCAL; currently set aside
  25. Stitch Sampler Afghan; I'm just working on this before I go to sleep at night and it has no "deadline"; I guess it's a "for fun" project to use up tons of stash yarn
  26. Several Dishcloths - these are what I work on when I'm at therapy with my daughter or I'm just bored with the big projects

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, lets see.... I feel a bit awash in projects myself, but I don't have that many. I have ideas for that many, probably though.

OK.

For Niece's birthday (end of April)

Teddy bear clothes:

-2 jumper s (1 big, one small) Can't find patterns that fit the Build-a-Bears well, have to adjust all and am feeling burned out.

-bikini, for small bear (by request of her mom, we'll be in FLA for her b-day)

- 2 or 3 other peices for little bear, probably vest, overalls, poncho and skirt?

Vest for Mom

-Wanted to get done for her b-day next Monday. (25th) It isn't going to happen. I love the yarn and the pattern, but I'm afraid I don't have enough yarn (and it's expensive stuff from my LYS) and that I'm not making it big enough. Kinda frustrated so not working on it very hard.

-Thought about overalls for my teddy bear

-Need something for a friend's birthday at the beginning of April (not gonna happen)

-4 more Project Linus blankets by the end of the year

-large lapghan/small afghan for my FIL B-day (October) (know possible colors, deciding on pattern, maybe a ripple...)

-same for MIL, also October (at least I think I know the pattern for this one... just need yarn)

-Thought about making a new afghan for my mom for Christmas, but no ideas other than that...

So I guess that's about 15 things I want/need to get done, about half of which I should get done by the end of April.... I had more on my mind than I thought.... I'm just feeling burned out on everything right now though.

well I don't think I have that many ongoing. I have some other craft projects that are ufo's because I just lost the desire to complete them. I have lots of ideas in my head of things I would like to stitch but actual projects not to many. I have two scarves that just need fringe attached (started out as the two in my siggy, but then others saw them, and two turned into six). I have a few more dishclothes to make but I work on those between large projects because I still want to stitch but sometimes don't want to go from one big project to another. I want to to an afghan for my mom for mother's day, but haven't decided what pattern or color yet. also want to make one for mil sometime before July. and something for fil before september. Supposed to be making a baby blanket for new cousin (baby was born Jan 23, but I haven't committed to this out loud, it's still in my mind, lol). And still want to make a few more for Project Linus. Okay when I actually think about it I have a few more in the planning stage than I realized.:blush

I think I must be odd. I usually do just one project at a time. BUT strangely enough at the current time I have 3 on the go. I started a wedding afghan for my friend Tracey who is getting married on 12/4/07 but ran out of Twilleys Golddust in silver and had to stop as I couldnt get some anywhere. I ordered some on the net and they even had difficulty getting a supply. Alls well that ends well got some today in the post. In the meantime I had started a baby afghan for my work colleague who just had a baby boy. Then my friends sister is heading off to Australia to visit their other sister who has ovarian cancer. She is leaving Belfast on Wednesday and I have now started a comfortghan for her and need to have it finished by at least Tuesday. I should probably be crocheting instead of typing LOL!

Tiga, I am coming back to this...the most I thought I ever had was 16 at one time, but I think I that has grown. I am about to go out to dinner, so I will list mine a bit later...I may be joining you with the 25!!! :rofl

I think we are normal as I have a number of projects started also. all sitting in their own big popcorn tin, hats for charity, dishcloths for my DIL, a doily, slippers, purses, a barbie doll dress, a lacy shawl, Christmas decorations, a trinket box for a friends daughter, and pobably more that I can't think of offhand. I can also think of lots of others for my WIM list too.

Oh, I totally forgot to add the 63 Squares Afghan that I started and I think is officially a UFO, lol!

And the Mary Maxim kit I bought - a big starghan in a boucle variegated yarn.

I'm insane.

Oh, I totally forgot to add the 63 Squares Afghan that I started and I think is officially a UFO, lol!

And the Mary Maxim kit I bought - a big starghan in a boucle variegated yarn.

I'm insane.

But insanity is fun. Who wants to be normal anyhow? :D

Mine has only recently gotten out of hand. I normally only have about 1 or 2 projects going or in mind... I think the winter is getting to me....

Your timing on this is perfect. Just this morning I was thinking of making an excel spreadsheet to keep up with projects. I only have one WIP going on at a time. Luckily I am pretty good about that but I have so many projects lined up that I decided I needed to prioritize them so I could decide which ones to do first.

Here is my only WIP:

Homespun Hexagon Afghan - (46 of 59 hexagons completed)

These are future projects (WIM) and the order I plan to complete them (I haven't started them but I have bought the yarn for the 1st five projects) :

:yarn 12 Cross Bookmarks for Bible Study Group (to complete by Easter)

:yarn Poochie Scarf for friend (knit)

:yarn Shark Dishcloth for friend (knit)

:yarn iPod Sock for me

:yarn iPod Sock for sister

:yarn Sugar & Cream Tote Bag

:yarn Paton Rumors Purse for sister

:yarn Felted Rock & Roll Purse (knit)

:yarn Cream Color Afghan for niece

:yarn Prairie Star Afghan for friend (not sure if I will do this project)

:yarn Felted Needle Roll (for my knitting needles)

Ok, I am back from eating dinner. Had a LARGE margarita, perfect for me going thru my WIP's - because, at the moment, I really don't care.

This list is in NO order, just going thru my WIP HUGE BAG/TOTE/THING/WHATEVER it's called.

1) Mystery Project for Spring 07 SP Swap (currently working on)

2) Purse - probably for an RAOK

3) Cap on my newly purchased "Knifty Knitter" - UGH

4) Bodice of the Little Maiden Sundress - due by March 31 - I am designing a crochet/fabric dress with this.

5) 1 Hour Baby Sweater - HAHAHAHA - No way is this only one hour, this is giving me FITS!!! - this is so way a joke! But I can't bring myself to FROG it!

6) Summer Sky Halter Set for my daughter this summer, would love to have it finished by 1st grade graduation - I am having problems with the thread part - UGH

7) Honeycomb Purse - UGH - I started this for the Fall Purse Swap, turns out my partner wanted a Tote not a purse, so I haven't picked it up since. Can't bear to frog what I have tho - anybody out there just LOVE orange? I would really like to finish this thing, but can't find anyone that loves orange.

8) I am testing an afghan for Lisa at Crochet Garden, and just waiting for the Edging instructions, but until then it just sits there.

9) Started the Grandma's Scrappy Bear for my stashbusting efforts, got to the ears and stopped ... how sad is that? Sorry, don't have the link for this one.

10) Berry Bobble BackPack - do you know I started this thing for my vacation over the winter break and never finished it...ugh.

11) Started the Thread Mystery Crochet here at crochetville and never finished...ugh

12) Preemie Cap

13) Preemie Blanket

14) Mittens for a friend - one down, and winter is almost over.

15) My never ending UFO Sage Green Afghan

16) Garden of Lace thread set I was going to make for the County Fair LAST OCTOBER

17) Thread Stole I started LAST FEBRUARY (2006) for my sister, but lost complete interest in because it's simply TOO MUCH WORK

18) A doily by Patricia Kristofferson that became too complicated for my weak feeble mind to understand.

19) Stashbusting RectangleGrannyGhan

20) Sweet Miss Lacy Cardigan - One sleeve missing

I have two other things that at the moment, I really do not have any idea what I was planning to do with them. Usually I stick the pattern in with the Ziplock bag so I know what they are, but these two things? No earthly idea...they are going to the FROG pile.

So no Tiga, I thought I would have captured your number, but alas, I have fallen short, but in all honesty, beaten my own record.

How sad. I need help.

:rofl

Oh, I've made that honeycomb purse - it's cool, but it is small. Mine holds one ball of Peaches n Cream and a partially started washcloth and that's about it.

I'm going to make another one, but make it bigger somehow.

The pattern is actually pretty easy once you do a few rows.

What color orange is it? I'm not opposed to some shades of orange; I'd be willing to swap for it.

Tiga - It's Sugar and Cream Pumpkin - Thank GOD AmyS was around, that lady lead me thru such a difficult to understand pattern, once I got it, I got it, but until then it was a purely difficult to read pattern.

Wow, pretty orange then, huh?

And yeah, I frogged it several times before I got it, but then it was smooth sailing.

I used RHSS Earth and Sky; it's really pretty, but small.

ok well i think you all should sit down and get to work HAHA!

me mysel can't handle having unfinished work so i have tried to limit myself to only one or two. and currently i am working on cupcakes fairy penguin blanket still. i said no more projects until that is done, but my daughter came home with a birthday party invite so i have to do a quick stuffie, and i think i will do a quick poo for my husband to bring to work (if he will) for a conversation piece. but the only other thing i have going is a christmas tree skirt for a friend. i have yet to make anything for myself, one of these days, maybeee.

so it looks like i might be in the minority here.

In crochet I really don't have many.

I have a shawl I am working on

some on going granny squares for comfortghans

A scarf I am pattern Testing (really should finish that first)

a project tote

so really not that many. Just looks like a lot piled on my table.

Without actually going through my stuff (which would totally mess up the living room I've cleaned twice today), here's what I can actually think of:

:yarn a smallish purse for my 10 y.o. dd. Actually working on this one now, will probably have it done by tomorrow.

:yarna replica of something I made for my Wild & Woolie swap partner (can't say too much, because as far as I know, she hasn't received it yet) to try and sell on Etsy

:yarn a double-stranded triangular shawl that was supposed to have been done for my neighbor's mother's birthday this past September (the really sad thing is that I was nearly done with it, but put it away and totally forgot about it). I think I'm going to frog it and make a half-moon shawl with it instead.

:yarn an amigurumi for my mother (I was making this with a pink baby yarn [the kind with the silvery thread woven throughout], but I just found the most GORGEOUS yarn today in a different color, so I think I'm going to start over with that one.)

:yarn a double-stranded ripple for a baby that's already 8 months old. I think I'm going to frog it and just keep the yarn for something else

Works in Mind (some of which I already have the materials for)

:yarn an EXACT duplicate of a different item I made for my Wild & Woolie swap partner. My SIL saw it and said "I love it! Can I have one?" :lol (have the materials for this one)

:yarn another EXACT duplicate of yet ANOTHER item I made for my swap partner, with another item to match it (need to get the supplies for this one)

:yarn Afghan for my sister and stuffies (probably amigurumi's) for my neice and nephew. I've ordered the yarn for this but haven't gotten it yet.

:yarn Towel toppers (complete with towels) for my mother. (I need to find some towels I like - I've looked several times but just haven't seen anything that looks good enough to me)

:yarn Bell-sleeved tunic for me (need to get the yarn for this one).

:yarn scented sachets for my drawers (have everything I need for this, just need to stop making OTHER things for a minute to get them done!)

I usually only have up to three projects going at once. If I get too many, it makes me nuts because I want them all finished in a reasonable time.

I just finished a baby blanket last night and then I am making some hats to use up the yarn.

It just makes my life more structured having only a few projects going.

Each person needs to do what's comfortable for them. 20 + projects may be ok for some, but not me. And there is no judgement here at the ville. Each person can work at their own pace. And that's the beauty of crochet.

:manyheart

Speaking only for myself, it's not so much that I LIKE having so many projects at once. It's more that I get so excited about something new that I just can't wait to start on it. I just can't help myself. So I start something new, which means that SOMEthing is going to have to be at least put on hold for a while, until I either lose interest (or lose as MUCH interest) in said project or something ELSE catches my attention and then I just "GOTTA" make that one too.

That's why I call it crochet ADD. I'm not like this in ANY other aspect of my life... just crochet. :lol

Exactly, I start one project (like the 63 squares afghan), then something else catches my interest, or I have to make something for someone (baby blankets, swap stuff), or I just need a quick project to finish (dishcloths).

I looked at my list again, I really only have 10 things with hooks in them right now.

ok well i think you all should sit down and get to work HAHA!

me mysel can't handle having unfinished work so i have tried to limit myself to only one or two. and currently i am working on cupcakes fairy penguin blanket still. i said no more projects until that is done, but my daughter came home with a birthday party invite so i have to do a quick stuffie, and i think i will do a quick poo for my husband to bring to work (if he will) for a conversation piece. but the only other thing i have going is a christmas tree skirt for a friend. i have yet to make anything for myself, one of these days, maybeee.

so it looks like i might be in the minority here.

I was that way.... but then I turned around three times and suddendly I'm awash in projects. :shrug

Exactly, I start one project (like the 63 squares afghan), then something else catches my interest, or I have to make something for someone (baby blankets, swap stuff), or I just need a quick project to finish (dishcloths).

I looked at my list again, I really only have 10 things with hooks in them right now.

Currently I have one actual item with a hook in it, my mom's vest. I have started and restarted some teddy bear clothes for my niece about 5 times yesterday. So that makes 2 things 'in the works'. I just have too many other things I have suplies for or 'need' to make/get done by various times.

i get the crochet add thing, ireally do, cuz i think i have it, i see something get so excited i just can't wait to do it, that why i limit myself, if i did not i would never finish anything!!!!!!!!!i know me and it would not happen that why i limit myself, i need to have some sense of accomplishment somewhere in my life.

Archived