to felt or not to felt?

indililu

OK I need some expertise from the best of the best in the 'ville!

I got a great deal on some yummy wool and I can't decide what to do! Most of it is kinda scratchy, I'm assuming because it's hand dyed 100% wool, so I don't want to make a wearable. I'm probably going to make handbags or totes, but I don't know if I should risk trying to felt squares and sew them together, or make the bag and then felt it... I'm SO torn!! :think I need some expert advice!

PS I would also be sewing a lining in the bags, I don't know if that makes a difference. I've used felted sweaters from the thrift store, they are really thick if you try to sew them together, but I can do it.

Thanks in advance!

I agree... felting tends to soften the scratchier yarns. It's not that easy to sew felted pieces together... better to assemble before felting.

Start with a small clutch to see how it goes. If I have a lot of yarn instead of just swatching I'll often make an eyeglass case. First of all, it's a truer test of how the yarn will felt and at least you have something to show when you're done.

Joan

I agree with the others....put the bag together first before felting. I have made numerous totes and have yet to line any of them. I think a lining is a nice touch, but not neccesary in a felted bag. They are pretty sturdy without a lining.

Archived