Lace and Bobbles Afghan

Croshay

This was supposed to be 61" square but mine came out only 54" square. I used an H hook. I'm not sure yet if I'll add more rounds or not.**

I used a bunch of scraps I had and I really like the way it turned out. I had planned to give it as a Christmas gift, but my daughter said, "Mom, it looks like you used a bunch of scraps of yarn & tried to see what you could come up with." So now I'm not sure what I'll do with it. What do you all think? :think

Hope you like it.

**Photo edited 3/19 to show more rounds added to make this come out to 60"

LB31707-1.jpg

Love it! I'm starting that pattern right now, using a bunch of Homespun I bought for another project that I decided to use another yarn for.

Question for you: on the bobble rows, do you think I could use another stitch? I really hate bobbles. I do have some worsted weight yarns I'm going to use on the rows that need a smoother yarn for the stitches to look nice. Anyway, I was thinking maybe I could use a cluster stitch in place of the bobbles? Would that mess up the width of row at all?

And your daughter was probably just having a mood - it's a gorgeous afghan and I love the colors you used. I wound up having to buy a few skeins to fill out what I had, b/c I didn't have quite enough. I hope mine comes out as lovely as yours!

Tiga, yes, you could easily substitute another stitch. The bobbles just take up one stitch. Those rounds have 4 sc's & then a bobble.....so you could very easily just do sc's all the way around. :hook

Hmmm...I *was* wanting something more interesting than just sc...maybe I'll just make smaller bobbles, lol!

Thought I did figure out that the picture is incredibly enlarged. Once I started making it, I saw that they must have done some trick photography or something to make it look bigger than it is, b/c the stitches are huge in the picture, but not when I'm doing them, and I'm at gauge.

So, maybe the bobbles aren't going to be as big as I think.

:wooI think it looks fabulous!!! :woo

Great Job Croshay!!! I think your MIL would love it! Aren't you glad you made this afghan now? I can't wait to see your next one.

I'm almost done with my 3rd one...:jumpyaystill have the last bobble row to go....I think I might just do a seed stitch for the last rows after the last bobble row...

Linda :sun

http://madcrochetingfool1.blogspot.com

Linda, you've done 3 of these?

What stitch would you recommend in place of the big bobble? I'd like some texture there, but just not a huge honkin' bobble (it's a personal thing, I just don't like bobbles). Could I make the bobble smaller or do a cluster puff stitch instead without messing up the row?

I will be using worsted weight for the rows with textured stitches, not the Homespun.

Linda, you've done 3 of these?

What stitch would you recommend in place of the big bobble? I'd like some texture there, but just not a huge honkin' bobble (it's a personal thing, I just don't like bobbles). Could I make the bobble smaller or do a cluster puff stitch instead without messing up the row?

I will be using worsted weight for the rows with textured stitches, not the Homespun.

Yes I'm on my 3rd one....

I think a cluster or a puff stitch would be fine...just as long as your end result stitch equals the row your replacing you'll be fine. One part of this afghan called for a bobble and I made a row of skip 1 stitch *2 dc stitches in next 2 stitches skip 1 repeat from * and it looked fine. Also sometimes a pattern will say to yarn over 6 times well that's way to many yarn overs for me so I usually only do 3 yarn overs...hehehe Like on that pattern Kittens in a row..I only yarn over 3 times for that stitch...and it looks fine to me...

Linda :sun

http://madcrochetingfool1.blogspot.com

Oh, yeah, I have an "official" copy of that kittens in a row pattern in one of my afghan books and it's waaaay puffy.

Well, I'll play around with a few different stitches with the yarn I'm using and see what looks good when I get to that row. I have a stitch encyclopedia, so I shouldn't be lacking too much for ideas.

I just have to finish the baby blanket from hades, a ripple afghan for Grandma, a few more spring swap items, a purse swap purse, everything listed below, a sweater for Mom and then I can really concentrate on this, lol...

Not that I ever over extend myself. Moi? Never...

Well, yours look great, I finished mine and will post a pic of it on Monday, it was way too dark for me to take pic when I get home from work in the evenings, so this weekend I am gonna try to catch the morning sunshine if that happens ("LOL")!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours looks really great, I stopped at row 49 and then started doing my own stuff, I hope it doesn't look weird.....("LOL"), and I finished mine with a kind of ruffly border.

Archived