Question about shrinkage...

busymomof7

Could anyone tell me about how much your crocheted pieces shrink when you felt them? I especially want to know if they shrink more in one direction than the other.

Let me explain...I am making a felted bag using half double crochet. I am wondering if it will shrink the same from top to bottom as it shrinks from side to side. I need to know this so I will have an idea what proportions to make it. I have never felted before and I am trying to do this right. Thanks!

The only way to know for sure is to make gauge squares from each color you plan to use and felt them, carefully time and record the results you get. Each brand of yarn and each color within the same brand felts differently.

definitely swatch it... I knit a lunch bag for my Mom this past Christmas and it is the perfect size... (about the size of the common gift bag) I know that Crochet felts differently... but my knit experience produced something that shrunk about 30% in length and about 10% in width. The only way for you to really know is to just do it unfortunately.

Hi Michele,

I know that knitted items shrink more vertically and crochet shrinks more horizontally. My felted crochet items have shrunk about 1/3 each time, (1/3 smaller than the before) and it's been that way with hdc or sc, using about a size J-K hook with worsted weight yarn. I do crochet loose, too. Mary Jane

Well, I didn't think to tell you the yarn and hook I am using! Duh! I am using a K hook, Patons Classic Wool (Merino) and just a basic pattern I found here where you chained about 50, crochet around that 5 or 6 times doing 3 or 4 in the corners to shape and then start up the sides. It is about 24 inches across and the height is currently 16 inches.

That is why I am trying to find out if it will shrink more in one direction than the other...if I stop now and it shrank more top to bottom, I could end up with one very short and wide bag! :eek If on the other hand, it shrinks more from side to side, I may be getting to where I need to stop.

Michele, I also forgot to tell you that I used Paton's on 2 of my felted items. One was a tote bag. I used a J hook, hdc and doubled the yarn to make it extra sturdy. The before and after measurements were: Before - 11 1/2" tall x 16 1/2" wide, and the after was: 10 1/2" tall x 11 1/2" wide. Of course it may be slightly different if you are using 1 strand. Does this help? Let me know!

Mary Jane

My tote bag was

Well, I didn't think to tell you the yarn and hook I am using! Duh! I am using a K hook, Patons Classic Wool (Merino) and just a basic pattern I found here where you chained about 50, crochet around that 5 or 6 times doing 3 or 4 in the corners to shape and then start up the sides. It is about 24 inches across and the height is currently 16 inches.

That is why I am trying to find out if it will shrink more in one direction than the other...if I stop now and it shrank more top to bottom, I could end up with one very short and wide bag! :eek If on the other hand, it shrinks more from side to side, I may be getting to where I need to stop.

Archived