My first class

I taught my first class last night! :hook

Seeing as I had only put my flyers up 4 days before the class and had no time to do a demo, I wasn't really expecting anyone to show up, but two people did! One already knew dc but was happy to get a sc refresher; the other only knew how to chain. I taught how to make a slip knot; how to sc and sl st; I talked about yarn weights, fibers, dye lots and yarn label information; hook sizes & inline hooks; gauge; recognizing sc front and back; counting stitches; adding new yarn; crocheting around a piece; and finishing off. It was a 2-hour class, and took almost exactly 2 hours.

We did a square sc coaster from start to finish, starting with foundation chain and ending with weaving in the ends (using Simply Soft). And we did a color border all around it, working in the end of rows on each side, which they caught on to really fast. I gave them a handout with the stitches and everything I touched on during class, so they have that to go back to.

They both enjoyed the class, and one is coming back next week (she wants to learn how to read a pattern). The other wants to practice first, and if she's ready, then she'll come too. Otherwise, she'll wait for the next rotation.

Next week, I'm teaching hdc, dc, increasing/decreasing, V stitch and shell, and how to read patterns/abbreviations. Hope I get as good a turnout.

:bounce

Archived