Insta Blocking

So, I had to wash and block some squares really quickly today, but b/c I work only with acrylic, I couldn't use an iron on them. I wasn't sure how I was going to dry them superfast. Not that it takes acrylic long to dry, anyway, but I needed them dry in 10 minutes.

As I was pinning them to my oh-so-chic blocking set up (two towels folded together on my dryer), I noticed a dusty wire shelf sitting neglected on my washer.

It was the shoe drying rack that came with my dryer when I got it two years ago!

You take out the lint filter, stick two little tabs on the rack into the filter slot and voila, a stable shelf in the dryer!

Took me two tries to remember how to get it in there right, but once I did, I just put the towel with the squares pinned on it into the dryer on low heat for 10 minutes (after they got a quick spray of light starch) and they came out pretty darn good.

So, if you have a dryer that came with a shoe rack, you can use it for quick blocking of stuff that can handle the heat without turning into the yarn version of shrinky dinks.

You're really close - I'm 32!

And yup, they are heading your way. I decided to block them after I washed them b/c they curled up something fierce.

The hair dryer was my back up plan!

As a last resort, I was going to cover them with a thick towel, and iron on a low heat, but I was really afraid of one of the yarns not doing well with direct heat like that.

Archived