Camo Afghan for hubby finally finished!!

orangetulipgarden

I've been working on this since Mid-January and it was becoming a chore to get it done for Valentine's Day, so I figured that since I wasn't going to have it done in time, I made a new deadline for myself: the 10th anniversary of the day we were engaged (we're married 8.5 years now). It was the closest special occasion I could think of after Valentine's Day. Little did I know that he would win the Milwaukee Tech Expo (auto techs) Top Gun contest the next day (we won a cruise!!!-can you tell I'm excited?). I would have saved it for when he got home! :yay

It's a very basic sc pattern, if you could even call it that. It's 200 stitches across, so that came out to 85 inches wide (I hook - ww RH yarn in Camo - 45 oz.). I worked on it until the afternoon of the day I gave it to him, which was last Thursday, 3-8-07. It ended up about 42 inches long, so it's a decent size for two people sitting next to each other. I was hoping to make it twice as long, as I had so much yarn, but I was getting tired of working on it every minute he wasn't home, and then trying to hide the thing. :blink

The bow tied onto it (upper right corner) is tied around one stitch that I made a dc, to signify the two of us. It's the only one in the whole thing. The border is all triples. Along the sides it's 2 trc per stitch (gives it a nice ruffling effect, but not to feminine) and one per stitch on the long ends.

I've got it folded in the photo, since it literally covered the 6-foot table it was on, plus some, and this was easier to show the border and get it all in the shot. It's folded so the one edge is across the middle of the afghan. It's kind of hard to see with the busy colors.

Okay, here it is. The pic is clickable:

th_CamoAfghan.jpg

Thanks for looking and reading this whole post!! :D

Shannan

Very nice afghan! Right after I learned to crochet, my teenage son, (who thought I should be able to make anything) wanted me to make him an afghan out of the camo yarn. I used sc also and it was very long (he is tall). I got so tired of looking at that thing. But he would take it everywhere.... on the bus to football games and to his wrestling matches. Now he keeps it on his bed... no one else is aloud to use it. So, I guess it was worth all the time that it took to make. Yours looks great!!!!:cheer:clap:cheer

Thanks, ladies!

CrochetCatskills - that's partly the reason I don't tell my hubby when I'm making him something. An afghan takes so long for me to finish (I have to work on several things at once - I get bored) that I know he'd probably give up hope that I'd ever finish it. :D

This one could have gone 2 more months, but I stopped short due to my deadline. Now what to do with the 9 leftover skeins??? I told him I could make him a scarf or a hat, and he suggested a robe - we quickly decided that would be a bad idea and had a good laugh. :lol

nanacarr,

Thanks! It is worth all the work, but looking at the same colors for hours on end did turn it into a chore at times. Right now we're in the "brand new" phase, so he hasn't actually used it after that day, but I'm going to have to encourage him to break it in and not worry about ruining it. :)

My youngest son would love this! He is into camo in a big way and has been begging me to buy him some camo underarmour to wear under his football gear this fall. Yep, he's a few sports season's ahead but I do love him to death.

Super job....I am working on a camo aphgan for my son as we speak. If you are truly looking to get rid of your left over yarn, I will buy it off ya! Lemme know if you are interested.

Great job!:clap I like working with the camo yarn, still working on my DH's camo scarf(since Thanksgiving), I know...it's just a scarf, could have had a dozen done by now! I guess I have a habit of putting family stuff off and doing for others first. He said the other day " Boy, that scarf will sure be nice this summer when I get out of the pool and need to keep the chill off."!! So...I am going to get it done, and put it in his Birthday box..his birthday is June 23rd!!

Great job on the afghan!! :yay

Great job!:clap I like working with the camo yarn, still working on my DH's camo scarf(since Thanksgiving), I know...it's just a scarf, could have had a dozen done by now! I guess I have a habit of putting family stuff off and doing for others first. He said the other day " Boy, that scarf will sure be nice this summer when I get out of the pool and need to keep the chill off."!! So...I am going to get it done, and put it in his Birthday box..his birthday is June 23rd!!

Great job on the afghan!! :yay

Thanks! LOL about keeping the chill off. I know what you mean. I'm planning my winter projects now, so when they're actually finished, it might be cold enough to use them. :)

Archived