SnB HH...Good how to crochet book?

LadyBeBop

I was debating whether or not to get Debbie Stoller's Stitch & Bitch/Happy Hooker book, and the Fat Bottom Bag CAL put me over the edge.

Bought it last week, and I'm about halfway through the pattern (I had trouble at the beginning, so I put it down and finished a baby afghan for my niece). Anyway, DD (she's 19) picked the book up, and leafed through it. She wants to attempt a few of the patterns.

She doesn't crochet. When it comes to teaching, Mommy (me) isn't a good teacher, so she's probably have to learn by herself (with a little help from Mommy).

My question: I know that Debbie wrote her book primarily for beginning crocheters. But we all have been crocheting for a while. Is it really a good enough book to learn to crochet?

I know everyone raves over the S & B books, but I'm not wild about them...I really don't think I'd ever give one to a brand-new beginner. Believe it or not, when I started crocheting, I found the best bet to be the Lion Brand "how-to" site (and/or the pamphlet) and the Coats and Clark "how-to" pamphlet.

Also, look for an online stitch guide...I'm not sure of the url, but there used to be a really good one where you could watch video clips of people doing the stitches. I could not get the hang of a treble crochet until I watched the clip on it...

I do like the book for teaching crochet. The descriptions of the stitches and the drawings that go with each one, are very clear. But I do agree with Pam, in that the patterns aren't good for a beginner.

I wasn't a begining crocheter when I got Happy Hooker. However her how-to section in the front of the book really have taught me a few things, and corrected some things I didn't know I was doing wrong.

I have also read over and over about knitters who taught themselves to crochet with this book. It's worth letting your dd try it.

I love HH but for clear instruction on basic technique, I think Crocheting School: A Complete Course is much better. It has easy-to-see color pictures that show each stitch; increases and decreases; basic shapes; motifs; and some fancier stitch patterns. Link below:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?isbn=9781402708312

The instructions in the beginning of the book aren't bad. If your DD is 19, i don't see why she wouldn't be able to teach herself how t ocrochet. I taught myself many years ago, from a booklet that, when compared to books of today, really bad "how to" instructions. If she tries something easy and basic for a first project, she should do just fine.

I just thought I would weigh in on this one. I actually am a relative beginner. The HH is the first crochet book that I ever picked up, and is primarily what I used to teach myself how to crochet. There were a few places where I was confused. One thing to be aware of is that the illustrations for single crochet are not correct. So, at that point, once I did a google search and discovered that, I went back to the book, and learned all of my other stitches and general techniques from that book. I have since completed several projects. So, I guess my point is that one can learn how to crochet from this book. It is possible that there are other resources that are better, but I didn't find it difficult to learn from the descriptions in the book.

When I got the book, (from the library) I already knew how to chain stitch and sc, but nothing other than that. I found the tutorial at the front to be very thorough and easy to understand. This book is how I learned all the stitches other than ch st and sc. As many others are saying, I would not recommend most of the patterns to a beginner who gets frustrated easily, as there are quite a few errors in some of the patterns.

I really liked this book. I am a knitter who had only managed a very rudimentary understanding of Sc when I picked it up, and I've found it very good. Haven't tried any of the patterns yet, though. If there are errors in older books they may be corrected and or there may be errata on the website, maybe check the errata before DD gets into it too far, to head off frustration?

Congrats on a daughter who has twigged to your own hobby. Yay!

My favorite instruction book is "Get Hooked" by Kim Werker (of Crochetme.com). It's geared toward teens and so was simple for me. Plus, it's small and fits in my crochet bag for quick reference and the projects are trendy (which your daughter would like) and simple. I'm looking forward to her next one. :yarn

Well, I recently aquired "Instant expert Crochet" thru Amazon. With shipping it was still under 15.00 and it goes thru the stitches, techniques, and has quite a bit of patterns in there also ( 30 ) . It is a hard cover book with a spiral bind, so it lays flat while you are crocheting. I think it is a great book for starting out. Has step by step photos.

I love the book. I'm an intermediate crocheter and I still have to reference diagrams occasionally. But beware! Some of the patterns have errors, if you go to the SnB website, you can get the corrections.

Another good one is The Crochet Encyclopedia (can't think of who it's by)

it have very good photos for lefties and righties and tons of stitches.

Kim

The SnB HH book came out after I first started learning how to crochet. A friend of mine taught me the chain and sc; everything else I taught myself using various sources. This book was not one of them, although it is a good reference book. The book that helped me the most was primarily for knitting, but had a small crochet section in the back with clear instructions and great photos. (I can't recall the title offhand...) I probably used that book the most in the beginning. Since then, I've referenced the internet as well other books. I think it all has to do with how one learns. If your daughter understands the book, it may work for her. Other options would be to see what the public library has, and see if any other book might work better. Even check online. There's several really good sources on the net.

I recently flipped through Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting at Joann's. I could have learned from it if I'd had a copy when I needed it--it might be one worth looking into.

• 2 weeks later...

I JUST (yesterday) taught myself to crochet using "Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting." It's fabulous - very clear photographs and explanations.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this book and I refer to it often. I also have her knitting one and I really enjoy that also. I really think your daughter would like it and I have found it to be money well spent.:clap

I've never full-heartedly sang the praises of the instructional part of SnB HH - the patterns, in my opinion however, rocks!

After learning -quickly- how to knit in big part thanks to SnB, I was disappointed in the less-than-thorough explanations in HH. I think HH is a good supplement when combined with a book such as Crocheting For Dummies (which is a hit!). I almost waited until HH was published before attempting to crochet - I'm glad I didn't for I believe I would've been confused. Instead,I bought Crocheting For Dummies and I was hooked! :hook

• 1 month later...

I was debating over buying s 'n b hh and I finally got one today from our local Barnes and Noble. As I was skimming through it, I noticed several pages are missing and some pages are included more than once! Geez, guess it's back to B & N tomorrow. Think I'll just get a refund on it. There's some nice stuff but nothing I was able to see really excited me.

:cheer I was able to exchange the book with no problems. There are some really cute patterns in it. So many patterns, so much yarn, so little time! LOL!

I knew the sc and dc going into the SnB book, and it's taught me every stitch I know since.

My sister is now in the same boat - she already was familiar with the sc and dc, and is now borrowing my SnB book to absorb all the different stitches she can!

~ Joy

the book is a good teacher to those who need a refresher but for the patterns I think that the purse patterns are ok I dont think that they would be to hard that or the granny square afghan thats in the back of the book would be good I learn how by teaching my self with books and the internet and my mom and let me tell you moms are the best source when it comes to teaching someone how to crochet....:hug

I just received my SnB/Happy Hooker book yesturday. I LOOOOOVE it!:manyheart

I consider myself a novice at crocheting. The book was really good. It covered all the basic and gave several different stitches. It also has several good patterns in it. I would recommend this book for a beginner. I only wish I had it sooner :c9

Archived