Felting with 100% Alpaca?

LeahB

I love the look of all the felted projects that I've seen other people create. The only problem is, I'm allergic to wool. So, I started to wonder... is it possible to get the same effect using 100% alpaca yarn? :think Has anyone ever tried this? Any advice would be appreciated!

Alpaca felts, I've only used blends, not 100% but it does felt. If you're needing a certain size, always do a test swatch with each color and felt it, taking notes on how long it takes to get the effect you want. If you're like me, toss it in, and keep checking it till you like what you see.

I had never felted before, and so wanted to try, then remembered I had knitted a pair of mittens (turned out way too large for me) in 100% alpaca and decided to try it.

It did felt, although mine was VERY fuzzy, long strands sticking out, which made the resulting mitten (shrunk it down to be an ornament) look rustic.

Sally

If the result of your felting is too fuzzy, you can 'shave' it with a sweater shaver or stone until it's more to your liking. Some wools need to be shaved after felting to bring out the color while others like the softened, muted colors that you get with fuzz.

I know alpaca is supposed to felt, and I bought some on eBay. It didn't felt at all. I don't know if it was treated like superwash is... it was imported form Peru and didn't have any info on the label.

I'd ask whomever you buy it from whether or not it would felt.

Joan

FWIW

Peruvian 'alpaca' doesn't have to be 100% alpaca to be labeled 'alpaca'

You don't happen to know if this is true for Alpaca from Chile do you? I have some yarn that is labeled as 100% Alpaca that I was thinking I would try felting. It says Chile on the label. I am wondering if this might have the same problem. The brand is Atacama. Has anyone ever used this yarn?

Best thing to do is to make a swatch and then felt it. THat way you will have an a better idea of the time it takes to felt and just how much it will shrink.

I had to do this with some wool I got that did not have a lable. It passed the wool burn test but I had no idea if it would felt, so I crocheted up and swatch and threw it in the washer....it must have been superwash because it would not felt at all :no

• 1 month later...

Oh yes, alpaca does felt. For a trial project, put some alpaca fleece in a sandwich baggie (zip top kind) with a cd in the middle. The fleece should cover the cd well. Squirt in some Dawn/water and start rubbing your hands together with the baggie inbetween. In about 15 minutes or less it will have felted. You can check every min or so and see how the shape is coming. Mine kinda went square at the bottom instead of round so I moved the fleece where I wanted it and started rubbing again. Once your piece feels felted enough take it out. If it has fused completely over the CD then just cut an opening about 2/3rds of the circle. This will make a cute coin purse, or cell phone carrier, or little girls purse with a strap added. It can also be embroidered. Try it, it might be your answer to avoiding wool!

Archived