Comfortghan for JessC031778 - Enough squares, Thanks!

Krystal16

I just looked at the first post and saw how many people are donating. This thing is going to be HUGE! Or make alot of blankets. That's cool!

I agree!!

What will go out in the mail this afternoon.. priority. I had a bunch of squares that were pink & 7", so I just added enough to make them 8.

If I have time, I'll make another purple & pink..but no guarantees.

sorry for the dreadful photograph.

th_MVC-008F.jpg

First of all, you all doing a really wonderful thing making these comfortghans for Jess and her children. I can't even imagine how horrible it must be to lose your husband like this. This situation is just awful.

I hate to rein in everyone's enthusiasm for this project, but I do need to get some clarification on exactly what type of money is being raised here.

I hope that the money that is being collected for this project is just people sending a few dollars toward the shipping costs of the comfortghans. There is absolutely no problem with this. And if so many people contribute just a few dollars that there is excess money after shipping (which it sounds like will happen), then there's no problem with using that excess to buy a gift card or something similar. With so many people saying they're going to send money toward shipping, there's really no need for anyone to send a large amount of money.

If anybody does want to donate more than a few dollars, we applaud you for wanting to provide extra assistance to the family. However, Donna and I need to request that those funds not be sent through anything related to Crochetville.

Jeff's obituary stated that a special trust fund has been set up with a local bank. If you would like to make a larger donation, please send that contribution to the following address:

Valley National Bank

ATTN: Louis Kanaub, VP

325 Palisade Avenue

Bogota, NJ 07603

Edited to add: There have been two custodial accounts setup in the girls' names. THere are two separate accounts, so you would need to write two checks if it is to be split among them. Due to privacy issues, we do not want to post the girls' names here on the forum. If you'll send a PM to Krystal16, she'll respond with the full names of the girls.

If you have any concerns about why we cannot allow a major fundraising effort to be collected here, please let me know via PM.

Amy, If some have already sent a check or anything for more than the few dollars, I will be sure to make sure it gets to the trust fund, or people can ask for me to VOID their check and can reissue for themselves.

To clarify: I can write "Pay to the Order OF" on the check for Jeff's fund and mail directly to the bank, OR people can have me void the check. This is only for those who have sent money, as you can't take back what's already in the mail.

I hope this is suitable to everyone. It's the best I can think of for those who may have sent more already.

Thanks, Krystal! If only a few people have already sent more than a few dollars, depending on the total you've received, it may be all right to just go ahead and do the gift card. Especially if we're talking in the $50-75 range over shipping costs. If people have sent much more than that, it would really be best to send the money straight to the official fund.

And for those who haven't sent anything yet, be sure to send your major donations to the trust fund at Valley National Bank. If you're sending squares for the comfortghans, you can still go ahead and include a few dollars toward shipping.

Thanks again to everyone for reaching out to Jess and her family in their time of grief and sadness. Crochetville people are the best people in the world! :hug

OK, I just called the bank branch there to make sure how to make out the checks, if you'd like to send them.

I spoke with the bank VP, and he is double-checking how the checks should be made out. I'll let you all know when I receive a call back...

OK.. there have been two custodial accounts setup in the girls' names. THere are two separate accounts, so you would need to write two checks if it is to be split among them.

I do not want to post the girls' names here, so anyone wishing to send to them can PM me.

Valley National Bank

ATTN: Louis Kanaub, VP

325 Palisade Ave

Bogota, NJ 07603

I hope this helps you.

Krystal, thanks for getting that additional information about the trust funds. I've gone back and edited that information into my post, just to help avoid any confusion about what's going on.

Thanks for volunteering to be a point of contact for the names of the girls' funds and for being so considerate of their privacy and security! :hug

I plan to ship all of the items that I receive priority mail / first class (as I don't want it sitting in USPS limbo forever). I plan on sending it delivery confirmation, number posted on this thread, as well as insured. I had planned on inquiring if I can require it to be delivered to a "person" rather than just dropped off on a front porch.

Krystal, just so you know... as long as you put insurance on this (for 50.01 or more), it will have to be signed for on the other end. If you want Jessie to specifically sign for it, you can request a Restricted Delivery, in which nobody but her will be able to pick it up. Hope that helps ya... heaven knows you could probably use a breather :hug

Several people have mentioned to me that they'd like to make a contribution so that Jess and her family have money now instead of in the future, like with the trust funds. I think it's terrific that people are thinking about what needs she may have right now.

First of all, Jess has not said anything as to whether or not funds are needed, and it seems from her posts and the guest book associated with the obituary that she has quite a bit of family involvement (although I do not know if they can help financially). I just want to make it clear to everyone (in light of other things that have happened here in the past completely unrelated to Jess) that Jess has NOT requested money, so you don't need to be worried about that. All suggestions of money have come from others who are concerned about the possible needs she might have in coming weeks. I just don't want anyone to have a mistaken impression that Jess has asked for money to be sent to her. This is all an outpouring from the generous spirits of our Crochetville members reaching out to another member in emotional distress.

While we cannot allow an actual fundraising event to occur (where money is sent to one person to collect and forward it all), we don't have a problem at all if anyone wants to send something directly to Jess and her family. If you want to send a gift card, check, small amount of cash, or anything else directly to Jess to use right now, I will be more than happy to provide you with her mailing address.

I am ready to start receiving these in the mail - my children are all ready to help - DD is going to label any that come in unlabeled (she's gotten this job already for my daisies) and DS is going to help me keep the records.

I will post a new post as well as update the first post with information on what has been received as it comes in.

Good night all ('cept for those on different time zones and good day to you)

I just checked the list again. There are 75 names on there, and it looks like alot of people are doing multiple squares. If my squares don't match what other people are sending in and there are more than enough for the 3 blankets I volunteer mine to go to whatever charities she might participate in or hats & scarves for the girls.

Ut oh!! I missed the info about having to label them! So sorry. My square went out yesterday. I only sent one since so many wanted to participate- which is GREAT! I just thought more people's squares could get on Jess' 'ghan.

LL

Krystal- It's great the kids are getting involved. There is a great sense of community when they get to participate. My kids LOVE doing charity work. (Not that Jess is one) We are involved in several different charity functions and they truly enjoy each thing.