What to do with a UFO gift

Okay, so I've been making this baby blanket for my daughter's occupational therapist for almost a year now. Seriously. A year. Since she was about 4 months pregnant and the baby is now 5 months old.

At first, I put it off because "I have plenty of time". Y'all know how that goes.

Well, now I really need to get a baby blanket to her and I've run into a problem.

I freaking HATE this yarn. It's RH Soft Baby and if this stuff got ANY more slippery and splitty, I'd eat my own foot. To top it off, I'm making the pink baby blanket in Vanna's Gifts book - it's ALL rows of dc - 80 rows of just dc. There are three Irish rose squares in the corners and then about 4 or 5 rounds of edging (but I don't like the pattern's edging, so I'd planned on just doing some pretty ruffles or shells).

I'm on row 70 something, and I have three squares done.

Here's my problem - my crochet time is currently very limited. I'm committed to the Spring Swap, so I have to get a few things done for that, obviously. I'm making ANOTHER baby blanket for ANOTHER therapist of my daughters (no, I don't drink the water there, thanks for asking, lol!), but I'm using RH Baby Clouds and an N hook, so that should be done, oh, in about 5 minutes.

I also have a ton of doctor's appointments to go to soon.

What I WANT to do is shove this dern thing in a closet until it grows mold, go buy a Pound of Love and whip out a generic baby blanket to give her.

Only problem with that is:

1. Sarah, the OT, is not a generic person to me; she's a really special person and her daughter deserves a special blanket.

2. Sarah specifically stated no pink (so yeah, I could use another color).

3. This one is totally selfish, but her mother-in-law crochets, so I want whatever I give her to be really nice, so it doesn't look like amateur hour next to her MIL's gifts.

So, should I just take as long as I need to finish with the evil, but super soft and pretty, blanket or should I bury in the back of the closet, buy some easier to work with yarn and whip something out super quick?

Oh, and I did make a little toy snow monkey for her as a sort of a "please don't hate me for not having your blanket done yet" appeasement gift.

And if you have any tips on working with this evil, evil yarn, please help me!

I'm using a Boye "g" hook, and this stuff is just sliding right off. I'm going to try to find a bamboo hook here locally tomorrow and see if that helps...

I use that yarn all the time with no problems. Are you sure there is nothing wrong with the skein you are using?

It doesn't sound like you have that much more to go if you had enough time to devote only to this project, but since you don't, I would make something else. After all this time, I think you need to go ahead and get something to the baby before she's no longer a baby.

Does ithave to be a blanket? If not, I would suggest the Sweetie Pie Dress on the Coats and Clark site.

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/BabyChild/LW1396+Sweetie+Pie.htm

You could use any baby yarn that would give you the same gauge, but I always use the suggested yarn. That pattern always works up in about a week for me. With some embellishments, I think it would look as special as a blanket would.

Just to clarify, in case I misunderstand. You have 70/80 rows done, the 3 squares that needed done completed, and then the border is missing?

Personally, if I only had 10 rows and a border to do myself, I'd finish with it.

I have heard some people say that using different hooks can help with splitty yarns. I think I read here on C'ville some time back that people that changed their hook had better luck. (Link to thread)

Just go for it! If you don't finish it, you'll kick yourself later because you're so close! I'll cheer you on...:cheer :cheer :cheer:D

I say finish it. You are so close to the end. You just need to MAKE yourself do it. After all it's less than ten rows left and only one square, then the border and you are done. You've put so much work into it. And that baby isn't getting any younger.

I also vote finish it. You have 4 more weeks of swapping, so you have some time to spare for those projects. I don't know how much time you can devote to crochet each day, but you could probably finish it in 2 nights? One for the 10 rows, and the other for the border.

I agree with the people who said you'd kick yourself for putting it away.

Okay, I'll go to JoAnn's in the next town (it's an ETC) to see if they have a bamboo hook, or mabye a Baleen or a Bates.

It takes me about an hour to do two rows with this stuff, that's how bad it is. I think it's a peculiarity of this shade, b/c the squares I'm doing are in solids of the same yarn, and they aren't nearly as bad. But the body of the blanket is in a variegated shade, and it's super, super slippery.

I think I'll finish up making the squares today and tomorrow I'll work on the body of the blanket.

I WILL CONQUER THIS YARN!!!

I WILL CONQUER THIS YARN!!!

Good for you! I was going to join the others and say FINISH it! Try a Bates hook - really, I haven't found anything better than Bates to deal with frustrating yarn. It's a breeze!

Tiga, i want to encourage you as well. You will be so pleased with yourself when you finish this and it will be sooooooo pretty... You know it will and you will wonder why you didn't just do it sooner. :rofl

You are better than you think and you can do this!!!! :yes:hook:manyheart:hug:yay

*imagine a small train engine heading uphill* I think I can...I think I can...I think I can...I KNOW I can I KNOW I can I KNOW I can!

I haven't made it out to Joann ETC yet (amazing how much laundry a small child can produce!), but I should get out there this evening. I generally don't like to use Bates hooks - something about the throat or the thumbrest annoys me, but I'll pick one of those up and a bamboo one, if they have them. Has anyone used a Baleen hook? Any opinions on those Crystalite hooks?

Personally, I don't like Cystalite hooks, they feel like they are going to break each and every time I do a yarn over! But that is just me, I think I am a very harsh crocheter.

i am cheering you on to finish...i had this happen to me and it was like wearing a hair shirt every time i thought about working on it. anything but that...you are so close but dig in and finish it up and when you are done burn what you have left of the yarn....or cut the rest up in little pieces and then burn it...

I say go for it!! BTW if the thumbrest feels weird, get one of those cushions that the hook slide into. It's suposed to give you better grip and keep your hand from getting sore. I hope this helps.

Ellie 13

good luck.....and just remember that you are making this as a gift for a very special child of someone that you think is special. that should make things easier if you can think about that little baby that will cherish this blanket for a long time to come!

Personally, I don't like Cystalite hooks, they feel like they are going to break each and every time I do a yarn over! But that is just me, I think I am a very harsh crocheter.

i agree, i also have a habit of holding the hook in my mouth while i'm weaving in ends, and have bitten a few in half.

Have you considered trying a Susan Bates Quicksilver hook? I found using one of those really helped with yarn that split. Like you, I was ready to toss my entire project into the trash until I tried the Quicksilver hook. What a difference! I have no idea what that coating is on those things, but it really helps with splitting yarn. You can get them either online or at your LYS.

No, I haven't tried a quiksilver. I generally don't care for the shape of the Bates hooks; no idea why. I'm a Boye girl, all the way, lol!

I've actually ignored this for an entire week, working on an afghan for my Grandma.

I think I'm ready to start working on it again. If I get all irked at it, I'm going to buy a Pound of Love, whip up something cute, give it to Sarah, and then finish this at a slower pace so I don't feel so pressured.

She'll just have to live with getting two baby blankets from me.

Archived