How many projects do you take on vacation?

When I am trying to decide what I want to work on while going on vacation with the family I try to choose something that I am very familiar with. My husband has family in MS so I am in the car with my husband & 3 year old son for 10 hours so I have to keep myself kinda busy.

I only take one project with me to keep me occupied while on the plane and when I'm not doing anything else. I'm usually pretty busy on vacation, so there's not much time to crochet.

I take a Rubbermaid tote filled with crochet cotton when we go on vacation. Yup the whole tote along with my pattern binder and a few books for mini doilies. We go camping in a pop up camper for two weeks the tote keeps things cleanish and dryish and provides a handy table and footrest around the site. I also have an afghan that i have been working on for many years that is a simple repeating ripple pattern so i work on that after dark with my lighted hook or on cold days

• 1 year later...

When I am trying to make up my mind as to what I am going to take on the trip w/ me depends if I am going to be the one driving or is my DH going to drive. For the most part I would bring a project that does not require me to have to pay attention to what I am doing & that I already have the stitch pattern memorized for the most part. I think on my next trip I am going to be bringing some sort of afghan to work on because my husband is probably going to be driving & I am going to be sitting in the back with our DS.

I usually take 2 and just work on them on the plane. I rarely actually work on them during the vacation itself.

We are taking a road trip to New Orleans in a few weeks and I'll DEFINITELY be working on projects in the car.

We are going to Playa del Carmen in September and my husband said I'd be the only person laying on the beach with a crochet hook in my hand!

I'm so happy to hear things like this!  Whenever my DH goes to Menards or Lowe's or Harbor Freight--I'm sitting wherever I can find a seat--crocheting!!  I'm old enough not to care if people stare at me!  And most of the time, they ask me what I'm "knitting"!  I just tell them what I'm crocheting and keep on going!

• 2 months later...

I don't like to take big projects on an airplane, but in a car if there's plenty of leg room I don't mind big projects. I take whatever I'm working on and usually supplies for the next in line--although often I get in a panic ("What if I use up all this??") and take along lots more than I'll ever get done because I end up looking out the window most of the time! :-)

For some reason it's hard for me to get started crocheting while traveling, but once started, I can get a lot done unless we're going through scenic country. It depends on how tired I am, too, and how eager I am to get done with whatever I'm working on.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went out of town twice in June and took a project with. I did a total of about 10 stitches. I don't think I'll bother next time...

We drove down to Princeton, IN yesterday (a little town only 25 miles away) and I got one of my shawls finished on the way down, and started on another one on the way back!  I probably do at 1/10 of my projects while in the car!! 

Archived