How many projects do you take on vacation?

And how do you decide what to take and what not too? I'm guessing an afghan not worked in motifs wouldn't be a first choice for traveling. But, out of curiousity, how many of you are monogamous to a project while traveling/vacationing :plane or do you take all of them to work on?

Usually I only have one project I'm activly working on at a time, maybe two. I take baby blankets with me when I travel mostly. They're small enough that you can work on them on a plane and not get in anybody's way too much. Also, I wouldn't take any thread projects unless they were in my checked baggage becase I'm not sure how some TSA people would feel about those ultra-fine hooks you sometimes use.

I usually travel about 50-60% of the time. I can often get a baby blanket done in about a week or two traveling.

It also depends on if I'm going on vacation or traveling for work. If I'm traveling for work, I usually have more downtime in the evenings to sit in front of the TV in my hotel room and crochet. if I'm on vacation, I only take something to keep me out of trouble on the plane (besides, that leaves more room in my bags for more goodies). I've got too many other things planned to have two or three projects taking up my time. I can work on those when I get home.

We travel by motorhome and car. Usually 10 hours a day. I take whatever I am working on, usually a thread tablecloth. But if I am going to be in hilly country it makes me sick so I will do something in yarn, not as close of work and it doesn't bother me as much. Since I am in my own space, size is not a problem....Take whatever you want...LOL

I will usually take 1 project. If I am flying usually a motif afghan. Although I used to take a long a thread project. I have had to turn over my steel crochet hook at security so thread project don't fly with me. If we go by car, anything goes, but just 1 project.

No matter where I'm going you can bet I'm going to find a LYS and get something to take home.

Sheryl

For our monthly long weekends away, I pack one suitcase with clothing and TWO with knit and crochet projects. During the long drive (just DH and me in the car) I can spread out and work on something large. When we are with our friends en route somewhere, and it is a bit more crowded in the car, I take along a scarf or potholder, something that doesn't take much concentration or space. And I always take more along than I can finish, because sometimes I just feel like doing something else, or for one reason or another, can't continue with the present project.

I took 3 on a trip I took last week. A wool purse that I knew would go fast that I wanted to do for my Mom so I could felt it when I got home. A Hat/scarf set in ribbon yarn that I am going to frog...I just dont like it, and a camo baby blanket.

I never know what kind of mood I will be in, so I take a couple. I try to take new projects though. If I take something that is almost done I run the risk of finishing it on the airplane and then I am stuck with nothing to do.

On the cruise I took last week there was a woman crocheting edgings onto baby socks. She was just sitting in a common area, and selling as she worked. It was soooo fun to find another crocheter on ship!! :hook

..... And I always take more along than I can finish, because sometimes I just feel like doing something else, or for one reason or another, can't continue with the present project.

That's my personal theory actually. I tend to have a short attention span... especially if the project isn't going quite the way I planned it.

Well...since DH and I are full-time travelers and we are on vacation ALL THE TIME, I tale ALL my projects with me! :lol

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT VACATION!

I work for my lawyer-brother in a one person office and I get exactly ONE day off a year, my birthday. (Not counting weekends and holidays, of course) He doesn't GIVE me my birthday, I just tell him each year that I'm not going to be here that day.

Until I was downsized 5 years ago from a german-owned chemical company I had 6 weeks of vacation! Oh the crocheting I could have done then...

I usually take a larger project and a a couple of smaller quick ones that i can finish while in the car, breaksdown the urgency to finish my larger item :)

The last time I went on vacation, I took three projects with me. I didn't crochet on the plane but in our room while my DH was at his Golf tournament. I like to take more than one in case my hand starts to bother me after doing a particular stitch or pattern - I can then switch to a different project. Or in case I simply get tired (read "bored") of working on a project for a while.

Well...since DH and I are full-time travelers and we are on vacation ALL THE TIME, I tale ALL my projects with me! :lol

I'm picturing a motorhome, with a trailer attached to the back full of yarn, patterns and hooks. :D

On long trips, I probably take 2-3 projects. I came home from one long road trip with MORE stash because I found a HOBBY LOBBY while we were in Louisiana, and they had the brand and all the colors of crochet thread that I like! (I haven't found a Hobby Lobby here in CA:( )

I LOVE taking my projects with me when traveling! Especially when we had a 5th wheel trailer...I crocheted an afghan for the trailer while traveling in it! Still have the afghan, but not the trailer:( . Recently on an overnighter to see our son, I brought my crochet, and worked on it in the hotel room while hubby watched TV. I used my new Ipod Nano and it worked GREAT while I was working, could listen to my music and drown out his TV!:lol Now I've downloaded a book on tape, and can't wait to listen to it on our next little getaway!

I usually take 2 and just work on them on the plane. I rarely actually work on them during the vacation itself.

We are taking a road trip to New Orleans in a few weeks and I'll DEFINITELY be working on projects in the car.

We are going to Playa del Carmen in September and my husband said I'd be the only person laying on the beach with a crochet hook in my hand!

I was once told that you can not take hooks and other crocheting supplies on a plane. I have never have been on a plane before.DH will be having heart surgery in Minneapolis,MN. We plan on driving up with daughter,but they say he will have to fly back. Just wondering if it was true or not When we travel I like to take as many projects as I can.

I'm heading to England and Scandanavia in 2.5 weeks (17 days to be exact!). I plan to take some knitting needles and yarn for dishcloths (I'm new to knitting so I'm doing dishcloths and scarves to get better) and also, probably enough yarn to make (read: crochet) a bag, may work on a tank top for myself if I don't finish before I leave, and I plan to make little purses for my friend's twin girls who I should be able to see for the first time since they were a week old (they'll be 2 in July), so I'll take that, too (one skein of Twister each so not big stuff).

Did I mention the 6 hour layover? Ugh. Plus, the boy I'm going to visit will have to work one day while I'm there so I'll have time then, too. I hope he won't think I'm too weird when I drag him yarn shopping. I imagine us having a grand time playing, "Ooo! Feel this!" ;)

Keschut - you can most definitely take your hooks on a plane. I never travel without them!

I was once told that you can not take hooks and other crocheting supplies on a plane. I have never have been on a plane before.DH will be having heart surgery in Minneapolis,MN. We plan on driving up with daughter,but they say he will have to fly back. Just wondering if it was true or not When we travel I like to take as many projects as I can.

I travel tons for work and yes, you can take your hooks with you. They don't even have to be plastic or anything. You can also take snips with you as well. I once had a very helpful TSA agent tell me that I could have scisors with me as long as the blades were less than 4 inches. :eek I can take 4 inch blade scisors, but not my pocket knife with a 1.5 inch blade? :think:shrug

Just realize that space on a plane is at a premium and you don't get much elbow (or anything else) room and small projects work best then....

I took a trip the weekend before last and brought 3 yarn projects and one cross-stitch project. I primarily worked on my socks after being frustrated on the other ones.

I take a big project I haven't done for awhile. I grab it and do it in the car on the way up and on the way back. First it keeps me awake for my husband when he drives and second I get a lot done especially if the drive is between 3-5hours.

well I am on my last day of vacation right now and I brought...

2 balls of size 30 thread, 1 ball of size 10 thread, 2 balls of size 3 thread, 1 skein of fingering weight yarn, many many hooks and 2 circular knitting needles.

and it looks like our plane is going to be delayed 2 hours today so I will have more than enough time to work on ONE of them lol

Archived