$1 Lacy-Flap Purse

laureni526

DSC04404.jpg

Well, spring is springing here in NC and the wooly season is just about over. But for one last hurrah, here's a felted purse I recently made that is going up for auction on Sunday to support a local preschool.

The wool is actually recycled from a sweater that I found at the dollar store, for yes, $1. The flowers are attached to the points on the lacy flap and the wooden bead of the center blue flower is actually sewn to the body of the purse and acts as a button when slipped through the ring of the flower.

The free pattern is available on my website.

Plenty of details and backstory are available on my blog.

That is the cutest crocheted bag I have ever seen! And it's absolutely perfectly shaped! :clap I had no idea that you could felt a lacy fabric and have it turn out like that. And Now I want to try that on my next felted bag. Thanks for the brilliant idea!

This has re-kindled my interest in felting. I have not felted anything crocheted yet...just knitted, but love the effect you got with the crochet as well as your design is just a definite "gotta' do". It is servicable, classy, and by far....more than unique. Thank you so much for sharing your talents!!!!!!!

MaggieTee:clap

OOOOOOOOOO - that's terrific!! Where'd you begin to unravel the sweater?? At the bottom, sides, neck??

Smiles, Louise

Most knit sweaters are made from the bottom up. Raglans are usually the exception if you don't see any sewn seams. This sweater was a faux raglan and had sewn seams at the shoulders. This sweater also had stitched seams with selvages inside the sweater, so you could kind of see where the seams were.

First, I used a seam ripper and took out the side seams and raglan shoulder seams. Next I worked on taking out the sleeves and then the sleeve seams. Finally I disconnected the neck band from the front and back of the sweater. It's a little hard, since you have to work on removing the sewing yarn/thread and not cutting the actual knitting. It helped that there were knots at the ends of rows for joins. It made it a little easier to pick things out.

The best thing I did was move around to different parts of the sweater when things got too difficult or frustrating. When I was really frustrated I'd start ripping into the knitting, making small pieces of yarn in the process which aren't very good for future use.

Hope you're as lucky at finding a cheap sweater as I was.

Lauren

Archived