first handspun yarn!

ruthieruth

Here's what I accomplished on my drop spindle during the weeks I was taking my spinning class.

IMG_2058.jpg

it was about 30 yards (not much!) and very bulky. I dyed it with kool-aid and then turned it into two flowers (below). I tried to felt one of the flowers, but it didn't take very well . It shrunk a little, but I still have good stitch definition and the hot water mostly just faded my dye job. :lol

IMG_2065.jpg

Anyway, I love the drop spindle and was sad to give the one I got to borrow from class back! I'm putting one on my birthday wish list for sure! :hook Any suggestions for a versatile beginner, low whorl spindle?

Use a hdc when you want to felt.

Do you use a spin & park? That's when you pinch your roving and spin your spindle, letting the twist build up. Park your spindle between your knees or with your feet and draft the roving, letting the twist come up into your draft.

You have more control over the yarn this way.

Very nice!!! Congrats on your first yarn. Spinning is very relaxing I find. Your flowers are lovely.

Use a hdc when you want to felt.

Do you use a spin & park? That's when you pinch your roving and spin your spindle, letting the twist build up. Park your spindle between your knees or with your feet and draft the roving, letting the twist come up into your draft.

You have more control over the yarn this way.

Hehe...that's what I do but I didn't know there was a term for it! I thought I was just being lazy.

Archived