when did you start crocheting?

Kim2u2

hi everyone, i am new to this site, and look forward to getting aquainted with other crocheters...i would like to know when you started crocheting?

as for myself, i got started crocheting with help of my grandmother, and through the years with practise i got to be fairly good at it. crocheting has been and is a comfort for me, a stress reliever, its like a friend you can turn to anytime...i love crocheting and my grandmother would be proud...

thanks for sharing...have a great day!:c9

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

I started crocheting about 10 years ago. My aunt taught me (we're both left handed) when I was pregnant. I still don't use too many patterns and just make things up as I go along (and still end up throwing a few things in the trash..lol). Although, today I am off to buy some lovely mohair to make a start on a shawl for myself so I will be attempting to follow a pattern I found online. :)

My Mom taught me to crochet many years ago when I was about 10 yrs old. I really wasn't interested in it then. A few years ago I started working at a craft store and later became the classroom coordinator (in charge of hiring instructors and doing all the store displays). We had a company wide Coordinators Seminar, where the company brought in several yarn mfg. reps. to unveil new products and one of them taught us how to crochet. I have been hooked ever since:c9 !

Kim

My Aunt started teaching me when I was 5 so it's been 41 years now and I don't remember not knowing how to crochet.

It was great when I was a teenager in the 70's. I was the one making all the granny square belts, bags and ponchos for me and all my friends.

I've actually only been crocheting for a little over a year. A friend of mine taught me the chain and sc in January of 2006. After that, I taught myself everything else I know so far. I've come a long way in just a year...from very simple basic patterns, to just about anything and everything I want to make. I've been told I'm a "natural". :hook

I started crocheting about 1958. I had just married & my Mom taught me. Several others had tried before but it just hadn't taken. Been doing it ever since.

I love that so many people learned from their moms, grandmothers & aunts. I have 8 aunts, a mom, a sister and had 2 grandmothers and NONE of them are crafty (well one of my aunt quilts). None of my cousins either - I have no idea where my crafty genes came from (I crochet, knit, cross-stitch, scrapbook - have done painting, embrodery, crewel, hook rugs and even string art - remember that?)

Anyway, crochet is my very favorite craft, I guess because I have been doing that the longest - since I was 9 years old. I had a next door neighbor whose mom made me a crochet outfit for my Barbie - well I had a fit over it and asked her to show me how. She only showed me how to do a chain stitch using my fingers and we moved about a month later. When I was 10, I bought a "how to book" and a purple hook and I taught myself how to crochet.

So I have been doing "real" crochet since I was 10 - for 33 years now!

Hi, my mother tried to teach me also when I was about 11, I just couldnt get the hang of it, but when I was 22 and was quiting smoking I bought a book and learn from it, that was 38 years ago. I would be lost with out it, I have sold a few things but only because they were made and someone really wanted them . It is my hobby, to relax. I have made lots of baby sets, christening sets and afghans, I give most away, Although I have started put some up for my teen grandsons if and when they ever get married, just in case I get were Im unable to do it.

I taught myself how to crochet when my children where young (24 years ago). All three of my children where ADHD and I needed a stress reliever and something that I could put down at a dropp of a hat. I still use it as a stress reliever as I have 2 of my children in the military, and I work in the medical field.

I started crocheting in October 2006. I learned from books and the internet. My grandmother used to crochet, but I was never interested in learning how to do it while she was still alive. She passed away 2 years ago. I wish I had learned while she was still alive. It would have been fun to share that with her.

My grandmother taught me when I was very young..but it didn't take, when I wanted to learn a year ago I picked up a book, well the book didn't help me very much....so I was determined to learn so I went and got the Crocheting for Dummies book. Well that worked...I have been crocheting ever since and just love it....:manyheart

i learned to crochet when i was in high school.. about 25 years ago now LOL. and then i forgot how to do it, i guess i didnt really forget but i stopped doing it... then i re-learned about 3 years ago... LOVE IT! dont think i will be putting it down again anytime soon lol.

I am self taught, taught myself though the net it came very handle. Been crocheting for now about a year on and off crochet when I have time most into blankets, purses, shrugs, ponchos, shawls and lots more still open to learning new things.

I've crocheted over 30 years. As a kid, I found my maternal grandmother's crochet hooks in my parents' garage and asked my mom who they belonged to. When she said they were her mom's, I looked in our family library, found the readers digest complete guide to needlework, and taught myself to crochet. Admittedly, since I learned how to knit just about 7 years ago, I haven't crocheted all that much, but I still try to keep current with what other crocheters are doing, so I subscribe here, on delphi's knit and chat forum plus some yahoo crochet and knitting groups.

My Mum taught me to crochet when I was 8. She was essentially a knitter and taught me to crochet with the hook held the wrong way round and bringing the wool overas if knitting LOL! A schoolfriend then showed me the correct way to hold the hook, wool etc and I tried to teach my Mum but she just could never catch on to it. At first I used to make clothes for my dolls but when I was about 11 ponchos became the height of fashion so I made ponchos and berets for my sister and I. I then became known as the girl who could make ponchosand had loads of requests for them. Dont think there has ever really been a time simce then that I wasnt crocheting something. I am indeed a 'happy hooker' and so glad to have found this site with so many cyber buddies who share my passion.

Archived