darski

Spring Blizzard – 18” doll :pinterest

post-4896-135897798259_thumb.jpg

The parts of this include

Snow jacket – yet another B.I.C.O.

Snow pants

Warm hat

Mittens

The jacket and snowpants are made with an Extra bulky Bouclé. I wouldn’t guarantee the results with any other yarn.

It also requires 4 pretty spring colours in WW yarn

EBBouclé needed an 8mm hook

WW yarn used a 5mm hook

Snow Jacket… made as a BICO done in SC but with the fronts worked straight down and colourful additions come later

Begin at back

Chain 15, sc across (14sc) – work 5 rows of SC even. Break off

Chain 9, pick up back piece and work sc across, chain 10

Work SC across (32 stitches) for 7 rows.

Work 1 row of sc in 13, slst in 6, sc in 13

Work seven rows (for right sleeve) even

Work sc in 5 turn

Work even for 5 rows (to match back)Break off

Attach yarn in sc next to neck edge to complete left side to match right side. Break off. Sew seams and tidy ends.

With White WW yarn, attach yarn in CB and work sc around the entire edge of the jacket work it so that the white sits well on the bulky yarn rather than one in one stitches. Decrease at neck if needed to maintain circle.

Secure the white but do not break off.

Following the picture, attach yarn and work 2 rows of pink HDC along the CF edges.

Attach Green yarn at bottom right edge and work 1 row of green HDC around entire FRONT of jacket.

Go back to the white yarn and work a row of HDC around the entire jacket but work 3 buttonholes along the right front side with a ch 2 loop and work a sc increase in every other stitch around neck edge.

Work another row of stitches around entire jacket but work an (HDC, FPdc in next) ribbing along the bottom edge

Work sc on front opening (3ch in buttonholes)

Work HDC collar around neck edge

Add large buttons at front.

Snowpants...

post-4896-13589779826_thumb.jpg

Because of the shape of this sweetie, it is necessary to break off after making both legs so that they can be aligned and put together. (yes you can do it without breaking off if you put in a whole lot of thought and planning – if y’all wanna do that… go for it :wlol )

Legs Make 2

Chain 16 and join

Work 1 row DC

Work 4 rows of hdc evenly

Work 3 rows of hdc increase by two stitches at the back but change the locations. Pick a part to be the back and make the increases in that area.

Break off.

Align the two legs so that the back portions are together and begin near the back and join the two legs with sc along 6 stitches…

continue around the two legs working in hdc to begin the torso and increase one on each side of pants back.

When you are working this remember that you are really starting and ending at Centre Front so put your “back” increases in the right place.

Work 4 more rows of hdc but reduce by one at CB on the last two rows. Break off

Centre 8 stitches across the front as a bib.

Decrease one stitch at either edge of the bib on row 2 and finish with one final row of 6 sts. Break off

Centre at back and work 8sc along but begin and end with a decrease SC so you have 6 sts

work another row of sc turn and

work slst, sc, hdc in the first three stitches.

Work 10 rows of dc on these 3 stitches and then work ch 2, dc into last st. Break off with a long tail. Use the long tail to secure and tidy up the buttonhole on this strap.

Return to brace and work another strap as the first. Sew large buttons to bib front section.

Hat … Wit EBBouclé

post-4896-135897798263_thumb.jpg

Work standard hat base

Ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook

Row 2: work 2 sc in ea sc

Row 3: Work Sc in 1, 2 sc in next around

Rows 4 -8: HDC around evenly. at end of row 8, ch3 and turn work

DC around increasing by 3 evenly around. Join. Break off. Tidy ends and turn up last row as brim.

Make your favourite flower and leaf motif and attach at front of hat. Can be coordinated with the colours of the jacket front.

Mitts.. WW yarn. Work in any colour pattern that suits you

post-4896-135897798262_thumb.jpg

I did

White -4 rows

Green – 2 rows

Pink – 2 rows

Yellow – 2 rows with the last row as ribbing (sc, FPhdc in next)

Begin with chain 2 and work 6 sc into 2nd chain from hook.

Row 2: Work 2 sc into every sc.

Rows 3 to 10 work evenly in colours you choose.

Copyright: Darlene Cutler, 2007

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

post-4896-135897798234_thumb.jpg

That is really nice:) Do you know if I used 2 strands of ww, if that would work the same? I can't wait to get to the store to get more yarn!! I'm finding out that I don't really have much yarn:( (My daughter also informed me that my yarn stash was boring!!!haha)......................Lise

What does BICO mean?:think sorry, didn't know where else to ask:blink ....................lise

BICO stands for BAby it's Cold Outside and we have a running CAL here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36185

it is for a very easy to make baby sweater that has been made in every possible way and size up to a size 2XL.

Thanks Darski:) I just printed that pattern last nite, hoping to make it for my new Grandbabies that are coming. I might give it a try, but for a doll. I couldn't see if anyone tried it that way yet:think ..............Lise

That is really nice:) Do you know if I used 2 strands of ww, if that would work the same? I can't wait to get to the store to get more yarn!! I'm finding out that I don't really have much yarn:( (My daughter also informed me that my yarn stash was boring!!!haha)......................Lise

i don't know if 2 strands of WW would work or not.

I got two st/in and confirmed over 4 inches

I got 9.5 rows over 4 inches.

I used an 8mm hook

Thanks Darski:) I just printed that pattern last nite, hoping to make it for my new Grandbabies that are coming. I might give it a try, but for a doll. I couldn't see if anyone tried it that way yet:think ..............Lise

I have used the BICO style 3 times so far for dolls and I know someone did a bear version a while back.

Spring Blizzard – 18” doll

sb1.jpgsb2.jpg

The parts of this include

Snow jacket – yet another B.I.C.O.

Snow pants

Warm hat

Mittens

The jacket and snowpants are made with an Extra bulky Bouclé. I wouldn’t guarantee the results with any other yarn.

It also requires 4 pretty spring colours in WW yarn

EBBouclé needed an 8mm hook

WW yarn used a 5mm hook

Snow Jacket… made as a BICO done in SC but with the fronts worked straight down and colourful additions come later

Begin at back

Chain 15, sc across (14sc) – work 5 rows of SC even. Break off

Chain 9, pick up back piece and work sc across, chain 10

Work SC across (32 stitches) for 7 rows.

Work 1 row of sc in 13, slst in 6, sc in 13

Work seven rows (for right sleeve) even

Work sc in 5 turn

Work even for 5 rows (to match back)Break off

Attach yarn in sc next to neck edge to complete left side to match right side. Break off. Sew seams and tidy ends.

With White WW yarn, attach yarn in CB and work sc around the entire edge of the jacket work it so that the white sits well on the bulky yarn rather than one in one stitches. Decrease at neck if needed to maintain circle.

Secure the white but do not break off.

Following the picture, attach yarn and work 2 rows of pink HDC along the CF edges.

Attach Green yarn at bottom right edge and work 1 row of green HDC around entire FRONT of jacket.

Go back to the white yarn and work a row of HDC around the entire jacket but work 3 buttonholes along the right front side with a ch 2 loop and work a sc increase in every other stitch around neck edge.

Work another row of stitches around entire jacket but work an (HDC, FPdc in next) ribbing along the bottom edge

Work sc on front opening (3ch in buttonholes)

Work HDC collar around neck edge

Add large buttons at front.

Snowpants...

sb3.jpg

Because of the shape of this sweetie, it is necessary to break off after making both legs so that they can be aligned and put together. (yes you can do it without breaking off if you put in a whole lot of thought and planning – if y’all wanna do that… go for it :wlol )

Legs Make 2

Chain 16 and join

Work 1 row DC

Work 4 rows of hdc evenly

Work 3 rows of hdc increase by two stitches at the back but change the locations. Pick a part to be the back and make the increases in that area.

Break off.

Align the two legs so that the back portions are together and begin near the back and join the two legs with sc along 6 stitches…

continue around the two legs working in hdc to begin the torso and increase one on each side of pants back.

When you are working this remember that you are really starting and ending at Centre Front so put your “back” increases in the right place.

Work 4 more rows of hdc but reduce by one at CB on the last two rows. Break off

Centre 8 stitches across the front as a bib.

Decrease one stitch at either edge of the bib on row 2 and finish with one final row of 6 sts. Break off

Centre at back and work 8sc along but begin and end with a decrease SC so you have 6 sts

work another row of sc turn and

work slst, sc, hdc in the first three stitches.

Work 10 rows of dc on these 3 stitches and then work ch 2, dc into last st. Break off with a long tail. Use the long tail to secure and tidy up the buttonhole on this strap.

Return to brace and work another strap as the first. Sew large buttons to bib front section.

Hat … Wit EBBouclé

sb2.jpgsb5.jpg

Work standard hat base

Ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook

Row 2: work 2 sc in ea sc

Row 3: Work Sc in 1, 2 sc in next around

Rows 4 -8: HDC around evenly. at end of row 8, ch3 and turn work

DC around increasing by 3 evenly around. Join. Break off. Tidy ends and turn up last row as brim.

Make your favourite flower and leaf motif and attach at front of hat. Can be coordinated with the colours of the jacket front.

Mitts.. WW yarn. Work in any colour pattern that suits you

sb4.jpg

I did

White -4 rows

Green – 2 rows

Pink – 2 rows

Yellow – 2 rows with the last row as ribbing (sc, FPhdc in next)

Begin with chain 2 and work 6 sc into 2nd chain from hook.

Row 2: Work 2 sc into every sc.

Row 3 to 10 work even in colours you choose.

Copyright: Darlene Cutler, 2007

Hi i am new to this site and i love your 18' doll clothes and my granddaughter does to thank you for have such a wonderfull crafty mine

Oh my GOODNESS Darski, now your going to MAKE me, FORCE me, BREAK MY ARM, to buy one of these dolls!! I will HAVE to...okay printer get ready..

I saw Target has a 18inch doll, on the order of American Girl dolls.....humpppppppp.........

D-A-R-S-K-I.....here goes ALL my ink now, you KNOW I gotta make these too:yes

• 3 weeks later...

than you for created the spring fling dress and the spring blizzard outfits. they are sooooooo beautiful. keep them coming. because i have been looking for some free 18 inches clothes for my dolls. which i have six of them.

• 5 years later...

Help!! I've never done a pattern like this before & I'm confused. On the jacket, I've done the row that says Work 1 row of sc in 13, slst in 6, sc in 13. What does the next row mean?

Sorry to be so dumb, but thank you so much!!

Hi, I thought I already replied, but I don't know. Still learning.

I've never crocheted doll clothes before so I'm a bit lost. I've completed the row that says to Work 1 row of sc in 13, slst in 6, sc in 13. What does the next row mean?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Hi, I thought I already replied, but I don't know. Still learning.

I've never crocheted doll clothes before so I'm a bit lost. I've completed the row that says to Work 1 row of sc in 13, slst in 6, sc in 13. What does the next row mean?

Thanks so much for your help!!

On that row you will only work across 13 stitches for 7 rows. 

On the sc in 13, slst in 6, sc in 13 you are forming the "shoulders so that 13 sts belong to left front and 13 belong to right front and the 6 slst are not worked again until you are edging and trimming the piece.

• 10 months later...

Hi.  I want to make this for my two granddaughters, but I don't know what the gauge is.  Can you please help me with this?

Thank you.

No I'm afraid I can't.  I never record gauge and I never keep my outfits to be able to check it later.  This outfit goes back a long way.

Edit ti add:  you could try the hat first.  it is small and if it fits it is likely the rest will too.

Archived