Bridge to Terabithia

Hi Everyone,

I saw this movie yesterday with my son. In the farmhouse, there is a very nice granny square afghan.

The movie is very good. Just right for older children. I think from age 10 to 15 would like it. Lots of imagination. My son is 14 and he loved it. Very good family movie. Which doesn't happen too often.

Linda:manyheart

I took my 7 (almost 8) year old grandson to see it a couple of weeks ago. We both really enjoyed it. Some might think that 7 is too young to see it, but he was prepared for the issues addressed.

I'm debating whether to see this or not. I loved the book SOOOO much and sometimes (most of the time, actually) the movie is so far off from the book that it just makes me mad. I don't want the movie to ruin my love for the book. Is it pretty close?

I didn't read the book, so I really don't know if it is close to the book. I do know what you mean.

Even in the Harry Potter series, there were things in the book that were left out of the movies and you do feel cheated.

Maybe I will put this book on my list of "Must Reads" this summer.

:manyheart

This was my favorite book as a kid. I read it in 5th grade and several times after. However, it has been many years since I have read it now. I was so excited to see this move, it was awesome! In my memory, I don't remember Jess's Dad being around so much like he is in the movie, but otherwise, I really enjoyed the movie! I think they did a great job on the imagined parts. I am going to re-read this book as soon as I can find it on my girls's bookshelves.... they own sooo many books.... I let them put my original copy with their other books.

Tina

My friend wanted to see the movie, but I told him he had to read the book first.:devil He finished it last night, so we'll probably see it next weekend. Did you know the book was banned for a few years?! I don't think it is anymore.

Had no idea the book had been banned :eek

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised this had been banned at one time, too. I looked it up and found this:

From the People for the American Way website:

In Cromwell, Connecticut an attempt to ban Bridge To Terabithia, a Newberry Medal Winner, was motivated by a drive to purge the middle school curriculum of “materials containing information about witchcraft, magic, evil spells, or related material, now and forever…. We believe this material is satanic, a danger to our children, is being studied excessively and has no place in our schools." In particular, Bridge to Terabithia was challenged for its “magical” content. Ironically, the book, about two friends who create an imaginary world in the woods, was written by the daughter of Christian missionaries and wife of a Presbyterian Minister.

Honestly, when did imagination get mixed up with imagination?! Even with the Harry Potter books, who really thinks it's real?!

After I learned it had been banned, I had to read it again because I couldn't think of any logical reason why they'd do that. After reading it again and trying to find something, I still had no idea. This was all pre-internet and was later able to find some answers. One was the answer you posted and another was that Leslie's mother and father's political views were too radical and how their family didn't go to church but she was interested in learning the beliefs of other religions. In looking for the answer to why this one was banned, I came across a lot of banned book lists and was completely confused as to why some of them were on there. Almost all of Judy Blume's books have been banned at one time (Tiger Eyes, Are You There God . . . , Blubber, etc.), even books we were required to read in school were on some lists (Of Mice & Men, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Julie of the Wolves, To Kill a Mockingbird, Diary of Anne Frank, Catcher in the Rye, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, The Outsiders) and others (Harriet the Spy, Carrie, Cujo, The Color Purple, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, How to Eat Fried Worms). They could just shorten the list to say any well-written, interesting book. One list even included Where's Waldo. That doesn't even have any words! I have a lot to say about my opinion on banning books, but I'll refrain, as this is a friendly crochet board.:manyheart

Archived