a Guardian Fairy comfort blankie - Ferosah's pattern

Shell

th_fairyfixed.jpg th_06032007152.jpg th_05032007140.jpg

Ever since long before I joined Crochetville I bookmarked Ferosah's page, mainly cos of the gorgeous filet fairy and butterfly. Filet has never really taken my interest, but Ferosah's sure do! Maybe it is their 3Dness?

I didn't know what I would do with a fairy in filet, but I just loved it. I was recently RAoK'd the most giant ball of Mainstays arcrylic WW yarn, so I decided to make a fairy to place on Jessi's bed when it is made. Almost like a decorative throw thingy. I wasn't sure. Well as I worked it up and saw how big it was getting, I thought it would make a brilliant "comfort blanket" for her. She is 4 and spends a bit of time in hospital either as an in patient or an outpatient. Either way, we seem to be there a lot! So I thought it would be a lovely thing to carry around with her. To hold when she is sad, to remind her of home when she can't be here, and to always know how much her mummy loves her.

It's crocheted with the free Filet Fairy pattern on Ferosah's site with Walmart Mainstays WW and a 4.5mm hook. I started yesterday afternoon and finished today. Really quite quick :cheer It's probably a bit too big. How big? Well, from th tip of the uppermost wing to the tipof her toes (measaured straight, not tip to tip) it's 46inches!! :eek Jessi is only about 37inches tall.... :think:hook

th_05032007142.jpg

She loves it! Got told she couldn't have something just after I gave it to her so grabbed her fairy and went off for a sulk :lol Mission accomplished.... Thanks for a great pattern Ferosah! Maybe I might do this with the butterfly one day. Imagine how big that will be!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Shell, how delightful and something I could do for my nieces down the road...great work, brillent idea and I just love that last pic...take a bow sweetie, you did great!

Very cute! I love the pic of Jessi sprawled out on her fairy. It's a doll and a blankie all in one, how cool is that! (I also have a soft spot for both faries and purple....) Wonderful detailed work on that. Congratz!

WOW! What a great throw and comfort blankie! I have both the fairy & butterfly from Ferosa's site and have always thought they were special. Great job. I had never thought of doing the fairy in yarn tho. I had actually printed the butterfly with the notion of doing it in yarn because I think it'll make an awesome shawl. What size hook did you use?

Thank you all :hug I am about to fix her foot as we speak.. it's supposed to point in the opposite direction. OOPS!!! :blush

WOW! What a great throw and comfort blankie! I have both the fairy & butterfly from Ferosa's site and have always thought they were special. Great job. I had never thought of doing the fairy in yarn tho. I had actually printed the butterfly with the notion of doing it in yarn because I think it'll make an awesome shawl. What size hook did you use?

4.5mm/7UK/G-H US

That is a beautiful Blanket. Jessie looks very happy with it. She is such a precious girl.:hook

Thanks Mary Jo, she really is! :yes

It is beautiful Shell! Your baby is such a cutie! Scary to read about her allergies...I send you a mommy hug!

:hug thanks.. I need that sometimes! 2 allergic reactions last week, both times we end up at the hospital. I just haven't blogged it yet. I was too busy crocheting the fairy :D

beautiful, how wide is it at the widest point?

im thinking of makeing one to hang on my door but im not ready to do such a big project in thread...

or maybe i'll modifty the pattern so it can be a rectangle blanket, like a purple fairy with black around it

i also love purple and fairys *points to avatar* hehe :D

you're daughter is so cute, such a shame her allergys are so bad :(

th_fairyfixed.jpg th_06032007152.jpg

I've fixed the poor fairie's foot (it was more like her entire leg). These pics aren't too good as it was taken on the lawn and it's a bit uneven, not flat enough.

The fairy measures about 36" wide at widest points :)

Archived