How to make yarn hair on crocheted doll?

EmEyeAaay

Question

I've been making those little amigurumi dolls and want to make gobs of long hair out of yarn on them. Thing is, I have no idea how to do it. Am I just not finding instructions/directions somewhere here at the 'ville?

Any help would be really appreciated, I'm also went to the library to look at doll making books to see what they have, but there wasn't a large selection. I did check out two and thought there may be some info. in them, but mostly it's for fabric dolls, I'm going to look into it some more after the kiddies hit the hay, but I don't think it has what I'm looking for. Thank's for any help you can give me!

Mia

2 answers to this question

I've done hair in two ways.

One way, for really bushy hair, is a fringe technique. You cut the strands twice as long as you'd like the hair to be (plus a bit for trimming to even it out). Fold 1-2 strands in 1/2. Starting near the centre of the head, insert hook around post of a sc, catch the fold of the strand(s) and pull partway through. YO with the tails and pull through your loop and pull to tighten.

Another way, this worked great with braids, was to cut strands of yarn twice the length from the centre of the head to desired hair length. Place along head, and sew along the centre of the hair to attach to the head.

I'm sure there are other ways, and look forward to hearing how others work their hair!

Sally

I was thinking more along the line of the bushy hair you described first, I have a nine month old daughter and she loves hair so on one of her dolls I wanted to do just a ton of long and loose, would the above method work *and* stay attached to the head with the pulling and chewing associated with a baby/young child playing with it?

Archived