SnB:HH Fat Bottom Bag CAL

yarndiva

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok...I know I am alittle behind the times but I just purchased The Happy Hooker book....and I am dying to make the fat bottom bag (I need to buy yarn first) BUT what kind of yarn has everyone been using....and how hard is this pattern...I am a beginner and what is the difference between the green one in the book and the gold one? Is there anything I need to know about this pattern??? I appreciate all your help!

Think the gold one has slightly more pleating to it (I've only ever gone for the green bag pattern) ...as for what you use - I've used everything from Sugar 'N Cream cotton to pure wool and ribbon yarn. I found that the wool was the nicest to use and in terms of finish - so far. Take a look at the first post for some of the gorgeous examples, and there are also tips on lining in the early post - go to crochetkel for an invaluable tutorial. Lining sets them off perfectly, and isn't hard to do at all.

the pattern calls for cotton. i have used cotton (sugar n cream, peaches n creme) and lion suede. if you read thru this CAL there are TONS of pictures and tips. the gold one is almost exactly the same, its just with shiny yarn. and i think its a tiny bit bigger. (not enough to count, IMHO)

i dont think the pattern is THAT difficult, you do a different stitch (HHDC= herringbone half double crochet) but its NOT hard, it just takes patience. i can whip one of these out in less than 6hrs. ( including lining and washing) HTH! glad to have you in the CAL!!!

• 4 weeks later...

hello

made one with RRSS country blue and i`m so happy that i followed the advise of one lady to use it

the yarn shows the beauty of the stich, the texture is amazing and it makes the bag stand and stronger

of caurse with the lining it will be more stronger and it even got little bigger than the size in the book :)

i loved the one AmyS made for her self and i have one pounde sky blue yarn from caron so i`ll try to make one with it

have fun ladeis :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK ladies. I just made my first FBB and it's pretty cute, but there were two problems I noted with mine. First of all, it's really much smaller than I anticipated. I even used one hook size larger! Also, the sides of mine stuck out, and not in a cute way. Some of the bags posted on this thread look as if they've been sewn up. I didn't see that part in the instructions. Any help would be great!

Well, I was trying to edit my post with a link to photobucket to show the bag, but I just realized I am shy of the 30 posts necessary. I will try to post it later, once I've become a villager.

that is very lovely one

did you make it with hhdc??

i want to finish my bag i know the hhdc will give a special look and texture but my baby is taking all my time and i can`t crochet this sts fast :(

that is very lovely one

did you make it with hhdc??

i want to finish my bag i know the hhdc will give a special look and texture but my baby is taking all my time and i can`t crochet this sts fast :(

Yes I did. I like the stitches but I dislike how slow they are. :hook Good luck!

athba, it takes me about 6 hrs if i just sit and DO it. (including lugging out the sewing machine and doing the lining) dont be too hard on yourself, you have a new baby! when PDF was new, i barely ATE let alone crocheted.... its very tiring.

betty

woooow 6 hrs

that is amazing

it also gets faster as much as you make more of the same pattern

i don`t have sewing machine but i heard about lining technique with kind of material that can be put between the fabric and the bag then iron it

the material will melt by heat and the lining will stick harlly

mayby i`ll try it

Hi ladies....check this site out....Look what this lady uses for handles..Looks like a great idea...you can see it about maybe half way through the video..it is in portuguese but its visual so you will understand. And check out all the other videos she has.

ohh one more Q :D

what is ur yarn and the name of the color please?? i love it so cute for summer

Sorry don't know if you were asking me or someone else but I use Red Heart super saver in light blue. Good luck! :cheer

Archived