SnB:HH Fat Bottom Bag CAL

yarndiva

Has anyone used Lion Suede to make one of these bags?? I've made Dot's Ditty Bag with the Lion Suede and liked it, and my SIL said it would make a good FBB, and I have SOOOO MUCH Lion Suede... like around 40 skeins of it total in 2 different colors. I want to find something to do with it, it may just become and afghan, but i never finish those, I want to work on something I'll finish and this bag would make a great Chrsitmas Present if I can pull it off.

So what do ya'll think??

i use suede for mine! it takes about 2.5 balls with a J hook! let me know if you want to see pictures

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have another on the hook, but its not far enough to make a good picture. im using the "moonshadow" colorway this time.

thanks athba, the pink one is mine. it has a cherry print lining too!

i like to use really fun, bright linings for them.

• 3 weeks later...

i made one with country blue RHSS and it looked amazing i`ll post the picture later

i`m making one to wear it tomorrow with 3 strands of yarn (gray wool, purple cotton, silver glitter)

it should match my cloths for tomorrow i wish it will be so nice as the first one :)

i have another on the hook, but its not far enough to make a good picture. im using the "moonshadow" colorway this time.

thanks athba, the pink one is mine. it has a cherry print lining too!

i like to use really fun, bright linings for them.

Hi Betty, I love your name!

I have a question for you, I hope you don't mine, as I'm not a member of this CAL but I do check in here a lot because I love the FBB's and will make one eventually. Here's my question. I recently scored a lot of the Lion Suede on Ebay because I love the way it feels, but am having a heck of a time crocheting with it. It sticks to the hook and rolls back on itself so bad, I am getting frustrated with it. Do you have any hints or advice on working with this yarn? I see by the beautiful bags that you have made that you have a lot of experience working with the Suede. Well, any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Katie

edited to add..What size hook works best with this yarn?

hi katie,

i use a J and a half hook that is wooden.( it was carved for me) i also make sure my hands are well moisturized, as that helps from having the "weird" feeling on my hands. being patient also helps. it takes me awhile to get used to working with this yarn if i havent done it in awhile. if you are just starting out working with suede, try a hook that is a size bigger than what is called for on the label. give yourself time and remember that it is a BULKY yarn. even though it feels like a worsted weight. HTH! feel free to pm me with any other questions!

hi katie,

i use a J and a half hook that is wooden.( it was carved for me) i also make sure my hands are well moisturized, as that helps from having the "weird" feeling on my hands. being patient also helps. it takes me awhile to get used to working with this yarn if i havent done it in awhile. if you are just starting out working with suede, try a hook that is a size bigger than what is called for on the label. give yourself time and remember that it is a BULKY yarn. even though it feels like a worsted weight. HTH! feel free to pm me with any other questions!

Thanks Betty...Sent you a PM.

Katie:hug

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everyone's FBBs are beautiful! I can't wait to start mine! But.. alas....... I have two afghans I am determined to finished before I start anything else!

Hi Betty, thanks for the welcome!

I found a really pretty Paton's Decor yarn to use instead of cotton. I started last night and finished 3 rows.

I like the herringbone half double crochet stitch, but I'm awfully curious to see how this little chain 18 start is going to grow into a Fat Bottom Bag :)

thanks! so did my stepmom!! (it was her gift)

deb, you increase ALOT....and you are not working from handle to handle. cant wait to see what you come up with!!!

i will be starting another of these soon, probably next week.

Has anyone used Lion Suede to make one of these bags?? I've made Dot's Ditty Bag with the Lion Suede and liked it, and my SIL said it would make a good FBB, and I have SOOOO MUCH Lion Suede... like around 40 skeins of it total in 2 different colors. I want to find something to do with it, it may just become and afghan, but i never finish those, I want to work on something I'll finish and this bag would make a great Chrsitmas Present if I can pull it off.

So what do ya'll think??

Quite a few have made FBB's in Lion Suede, you just have to dig through the first pages of this CAL (yikes!)

Hello Ladies!

Thanks for keeping this CAL going! It's been almost a year since I started the CAL and I am very delighted to see how many bags are being made!

Perhaps I can squeeze in one when I am not teaching, but alas, the wearables bug is still not wearing off and I can't think of nothing else but making clothes...

So now I must count on you gals to keep this thread going!! :laughroll

I am up to my sixth of these gems since Christmas, and have one set aside for both aunts' birthdays in March already. I am slightly frustrated by the lack of variety in handles available, but happy that I've been able to make the most of the New Year's sales in getting some lovely cottons to experiment with...but that puts paid to the 'stash busting' concept.....! :)

I buy a lot of my handles from ebay...I dont know how shipping will work out, but sometimes you can find some great deals there. Im a novelty-type person, so I like "different" handles, ebay caters to my unique (aka weird) vibes!

Thanks for those ideas - greatly appreciated! I am thinking of trying the brass rings (no Home Depot, but similar!) with satin ribbon crocheted over them, and have even considered using the cane circles that are in floristry supplies - not sure about the quality of the finish there, though....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived