SnB:HH Fat Bottom Bag CAL

yarndiva

Well,

I started mine Sunday afternoon and I am up to row 46ish now. I'm making mine in sage Sugar n creme yarn. I printed out the tutorial on how to line it as I've never lined anything I've crocheted before. I'm hoping it turns out right! Instead of pinning a flower to it, I'm thinking about making a flower out of poptops. I saw how to crochet one in craft magazine, they are kinda cute and don't seem too difficult to make. Guess I'll find out.

Melissa

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

laraling - are you around? I want to know if I was doing the bag right. I really want to learn how to do these as I love them like everyone else.

I painted my dining/living room so I haven't had time to pick up this project in a few days - I worked on some dc scarves which are real simple but will be donated and get good use :cheer

Ok, I am joining this CAL a little late but better than never right? I just picked the Happy Hooker book up at my local library and started working on the bag tonight. I am only on row 15, it seems to be going slow, I hope to get it done within a few days though. I am making it for my SIL for Christmas.

I'll join in too. I finally bought this book and spent ages yesterday reading it every chance I had (needless to say not alot got done yesterday...lol). I want to make most of the patterns but after coming here and reading through some of this thread and looking at all the pics, I'm going to make this my first project. Now off to find some yarn!!

Sorry I haven't been around, Janet. And welcome to everyone who has joined this week.

I'm around on weekends only for now, as I'm going to school to become an esthetician, and am in "boot camp" right now! If you need help and see me online, either here or at my myspace (myspace.com/pokmama), please IM me and I'll do my best to explain.

I've been working on my FBB #2 today, and just finished the body of the bag. I'm using a super bulky yarn. It's from Yarn Bee (Hobby Lobby), and the name of it escapes me at the moment. It worked up so large I had to omit 10 rows from the middle.

Now I am going to take my digital camera to take shots of each step as I progress, and I can post them somewhere as sort of a mini-tutorial if that would help anyone.

I will check in with you all later. Hope your bags are moving along well.

I've finished my first FBB and can see why everyone loves making it. So easy and quick. DD picked out the lining and had to bring it with her yesterday to show my parents. She loves the finished bag and I'm really happy with it.

I'll try and get a pic soon of it to post.

Now to make another 6 of them (My Mother, MIL, Ex-Step MIL, SIL, DS#1 and myself) And maybe other SIL as well.

If it's not too late, I want to try this one. I bought the HH book specifically for this pattern and haven't gotten up the courage to try it yet. But you all make it sound like a fairly easy project, so I'm going to give it a go. I was going to try and use a lighter weight yarn to make it smaller, do you think that will work out ok?

TIA! :)

Alrighty, I finally got my FBB done tonight. I made it for my SIL for her b-day in October. I need to add a flower or something to it, I will do that later. Here are pics, not sure if I will make another one or not. I used Lion Brand Jiffy Quick & Easy Mohair Look Yarn and an I hook.

DSC03341-1.jpg

DSC03342.jpg

DSC03344.jpg

Your bag looks great! How did you know where to start your stripes to get them in the middle of the bag?

Also, what kind of yarn did you use?

Thanks for the nice compliments. I got the lining in and the edge stitches done. Now, I am just hunting for clear round handles. I think that is what I would like to put on this purse. If I have to, I will use the light brown/tan ones I found at JoAnna's today.

I already found some Chocolate Vanna's Yarn with cool handles to make my next purse with. I have some adorable blue/chocolate Amy Butler fabric I am going to line with it. I just love blue and brown together. I wish I would make and sell these at the craft bazaar I will be having a table at in November - these are just too fun and adorable too!

bag.jpg

liner.jpg

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing all of your experiences in making this bag. I have not made many things from patterns before, so I haven't had much experience in reading them. I had been wanting to make the FBB for a while, but I had so many other things going on that I never got around to it. Having this thread to read while working on it really helped me.

I had some Lion Suede (in Denim) that I had bought for neighbor who wanted to make something for her mother. She came for one crochet lesson, and never mentioned it again. (I keep forgetting how fickle 13 year old girls can be sometimes.:lol ) I wanted to make the bag for myself, but I usually carry only black purses. So, I bought the same yarn in black to make one for myself.

I made the blue anyway. First of all, I wanted to practice. Secondly, I thought that I would give it to the neighor's child for a gift for her mother anyway. It turned out fantastic! I was very pleased with it. I just used plain black handles and no other embellishments. It looks very sophisticated! I used a simple light blue fabric for the lining. I LOVED working with the suede yarn. I had never used that before.

It was amazingly quick! I started it Saturday morning and finished that night. I spent Saturday watching football and worked on the bag and a couple of other projects that I have been trying to get done. I'm not much of a seamstress, so I think picking out the lining fabric and lining the bag actually took longer than crocheting the bag itself. I probably spent about 4-5 hours on it. I did it in HDC since I was trying to get it done quickly.

It was a bit smaller than I would have liked if it would be for me. I used a J hook, as recommended on the yarn label. Has anyone tried using Lion Suede yarn and a larger hook? I have the black suede yarn that I'd like to try. I just don't want to use too large of a hook and have the stitches turn out loose.

I'll post a picture of the blue suede bag tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks again!

Everyone is doing such a great job with this bag and I am still struggling.

Take a look at my pics and tell me if I am crocheting up the sides properly. I know that the bag itself isn't perfect but I wanted to finish it up so to learn how to do it

the first pic is the bag with the flap crocheted on - I don't think its long enough and look at the side - there is an opening there

th_fbb005.jpg

the second pic is where I think the handle would eventually go

th_fbb006.jpg

Ok, the problem you are having is at the start of the directions for the handle flaps. You need to: Join in the first row end st and then ch 1. Sc 2 rows together all the way across the side of the bag- you should end up with 26 sts. What you are doing in that step is gathering the sides of the bag so the handle flap will be in the middle.

Ok, I wasn't sure if I would make another one of these bags but I think I am addicted now. I love lining them, super easy and it was a pretty easy bag to make with great results. Ahh, more WIP to add to the list, lol

--------

Lindsay, love your bags!

Finished Mine!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks pretty darn good. not perfect by any means but pretty good. I even got it lined! am hoping to get a pic posted later tonight or tomorrow. Have been having computer problems at home so we'll see

melissa

Take a look at my pics and tell me if I am crocheting up the sides properly. I know that the bag itself isn't perfect but I wanted to finish it up so to learn how to do it

It looks like you haven't gone all the way along the side yet - but otherwise that is looking okay. What isn't clear is if you are doing a gather on the side.

As Lindsay explained as well - the idea of that first row of the handles is to have half as many stitches as you do rows in the bag. Just think of it as a normal reduction. All I did for the first row of the handles was sc2tog (single crotchet 2 together) all the way across. I also noticed if you look at the sides of the rows, it isn't a completely straight line (bumps and dips). I used the bumps to keep track of my stitches.

Hopefully that will help you.

Ladies - It just isn't becoming clear - I am going to ask CrochetCatskills to start one soon and we will do it together - and then we can send pics back and forth to each other as we go along

Thank you all so much for trying to help me -

the first pic is the bag with the flap crocheted on - I don't think its long enough and look at the side - there is an opening there

th_fbb005.jpg

the second pic is where I think the handle would eventually go

th_fbb006.jpg

In looking at your pictures it looks like you missed out on the gathers you SC 2together for a total of 26 stitcvhes on the first pass and then the second time around you decrease by 2 for a total of 24 stitches. You then work those stitches for the 7 rows.

Like I said, I think that is the only step you are missing ... everything else looks right on target!

good luck -

Archived