SnB:HH Fat Bottom Bag CAL

yarndiva

Has anyone done a FBB in plain ol' regular hdc? I love the way the Hhdc looks, but I want to whip out a couple quickly and I'm not able to do the Hhdc as quickly as I can do a hdc (takes me about twice as long per stitch).

If you have, any photos?

the fbb's I have completed were all HDC. Posts 108, 163, and 188. I lost patience with the hhdc very quicly. Because I had been making prayer shawls using the hdc, I kept forgetting and slipping back into that stitch, so I gave up and just stayed with the hdc!

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tan_bottom1_th.jpgtan_bottom3_th.jpg

Yay, my first fbb! :D I've been doing a full-time student teaching internship, and since this was my last day in the school, I thought this would make a good thank-you gift for my teacher who I was working with. She absolutely loved it, and walked around showing the bag and its lining to the kids. :lol It was done using Caron Perfect Match in Lace, it didn't take that long.

This is really pretty! I love the lining, it is perfect for the color! :cheer:clap:cheer

See my take on the FBB here.

I did things a little differently. And it turned out so well, that I started another one!

I love the shoulder strap that you did on this bag! It's true that the handles are not that convenient. I found I kept laying my purse down because I always had to have a grip on the handles. The shoulder strap is a fantastic idea!!

BTW, if you like chocolate, be sure to eat a lot of Cadbury's while you are in England! The Hershey company bought the right to used the Cadbury name in this country and it doesn't taste anything like the real stuff!! I lived there for 8 years and it is one of the many things I miss!!

Okay ladies....I joining in! Here is my first one completed with Mainstays in black and a Yarn Bee black and gold for the trim. I loved working this pattern. Finished this the other afternoon, and after finishing up a couple of doilies, I started another one in red today. Mother and child have already put in their requests so it looks like I'll be working on these awhile. Thanks for the motivation to finally do this!!!:manyheart

446537248_b210cfe0f0_m.jpg

i'm in! :cheer i started my first FBB last night. i am using lion suede in spice. im not sure if im going to line it or what i'll line it with. walmart had some silky chinese print on clearance for 3.00 a yard, but i wasnt sure how much i'd need....any approximations? TIA!!!

I love the shoulder strap that you did on this bag! It's true that the handles are not that convenient. I found I kept laying my purse down because I always had to have a grip on the handles. The shoulder strap is a fantastic idea!!

BTW, if you like chocolate, be sure to eat a lot of Cadbury's while you are in England! The Hershey company bought the right to used the Cadbury name in this country and it doesn't taste anything like the real stuff!! I lived there for 8 years and it is one of the many things I miss!!

Thanks! That was the whole reason behind the shoulder straps - if I set it down, I will walk away without it... And I really don't want to lose my Passport!

I L-O-V-E chocolate! I will be eating as much as my tummy will allow, especially seeing as everyone has been warning me about the food! lol I'm sure I'll be working off the extra calories, anyway. hehe

Okay ladies....I joining in! Here is my first one completed with Mainstays in black and a Yarn Bee black and gold for the trim. I loved working this pattern. Finished this the other afternoon, and after finishing up a couple of doilies, I started another one in red today. Mother and child have already put in their requests so it looks like I'll be working on these awhile. Thanks for the motivation to finally do this!!!:manyheart

446537248_b210cfe0f0_m.jpg

this is gorgeous!! great job!!:cheer :cheer :cheer The black is really pretty and will go with everything. They are addicting...can't make just one

okay, i finally finished mine. i haven't gotten to line it yet though because i really dont know how, and that would just make me procrastinate longer. i have my sewing machine out, but i just need a good motivational wind. otherwise, i am really proud of myself!!!! i finished something!!!

Picture.jpg

tan_bottom1_th.jpgtan_bottom3_th.jpg

Yay, my first fbb! :D I've been doing a full-time student teaching internship, and since this was my last day in the school, I thought this would make a good thank-you gift for my teacher who I was working with. She absolutely loved it, and walked around showing the bag and its lining to the kids. :lol It was done using Caron Perfect Match in Lace, it didn't take that long.

that is a BEAUTIFUL bag! love the color and the print! wow. good job! it looks so retro!!!

okay, i finally finished mine. i haven't gotten to line it yet though because i really dont know how, and that would just make me procrastinate longer. i have my sewing machine out, but i just need a good motivational wind. otherwise, i am really proud of myself!!!! i finished something!!!

Picture.jpg

I love this color and it is striking with the black handles and flower! great job:cheer

Hurrah for shoulder straps!!! I'm definitely one of those people who would lose her head if it weren't attached. Thanks for the idea.

Happy to be of service!

I like the shoulder straps idea too...I have been putting off making this, because the handles seemed so un-functional (is that even a word? :rofl) But now that I see some alternatives...uh-oh! ;)

heres the finished pics of mine! i am gifting it to my bfs sister, its her (last minute) bday prezzieth_purse.jpg finished purse

th_100_2226.jpg and the polyblend chinesesilk print lining.

i used 2 skeins of lionbrand suede in spice (.99 ea at ollies) less than half a yard of fabric (3.00/yard wally clearance) and some wooden handles i got on sale at joanns. (3.50) awesome gift.....less than the price of a cd! :cheer yay!!

Wow! That's beautiful. :clap

Did you do yours in hhdc? I haven't finished mine yet, but it doesn't look anywhere near that polished!

First, just wanted to thank you all for the comments on the fbb! :D

Secondly, the bag was done in hhdc, and took 3 days of rushed, crazy-woman-crocheting/sewing to get done. The stitch was a pain to work with at first. But when you just yo-ed and pulled yarn through the stitch (3 loops on hook), just pinch the loop closest to your hook with your thumb and middle finger as you pull it through the middle loop. Then follow directions like normal for the rest of the stitch. I found my crocheting go much much faster doing it this way, hope it helps those who find the hhdc frustrating.

Third, the straps are an awesome idea, it really makes the black bag look great. I'm gonna try that out on my next bag, thanks!

edit - Just noticed your bag Betty and had to mention that it's a great looking bag - love the colors and the lining. Good job!

450990903_18e76295c2_m.jpg450990917_d48783070e_m.jpg450990923_eb68a5db3a_m.jpg

Well, here are the 2 new ones I finished over the weekend. I love the red!! It is for my 27 year old daughter. The black one is for my mother. I have 2 more that are finished but not lined yet and one more on my hook. I am playing around with yarns. Both of these are done in Mainstays. The other 2 are Peaches and Cream and the one on the hook is in plain ole Red Heart. Believe it or not, I really like the texture of the Red Heart with these bags. It gives it just a little more body.

Hey all... just got HH over the weekend and can't wait to jump into this CAL... I have a pattern question though..

The note before the pattern indicates to skip the first stitch of each row and work in the turning ch at the end of row..

SO..I should skip the first st of each row... but when it says to work in the turning chain... do I start in the first ch or 2nd ch of the turning chain.. I know it sounds confusing for me to explain but if somone could better explain the note section before th pattern. I know it is uber easy but I can't "see it"

Thanks!!!

I've been watching this CAL for awhile now, and I absolutely love all of the bags I've seen here! You all do such wonderful work! Of course, now it's time for me to jump into this CAL too. I started my bag last night using a discontinued Red Heart yarn in the color Dark Navy. I have some cute blue and white gingham checked fabric with sunflowers on it that I want to use for the lining. I'm not sure what I'll do with the handles yet. I like the thought of straps, but I have several pairs of wooden purse handles here that I'd like to use up. I should have my bag finished sometime this week, so I'll post a pic of it when it's done. Meanwhile, I hope more of you can post pics of your finished bags! They are so fun to see!

Candy

thanks hesper!

catheryn: those are cute! i love the detail (pin?) on the black one!!:cheer

cranky: i used the 2nd stitch, but i historically do things my own "special way" so you might want to wait and see what other people say....:lol \

candy: welcome!!!:yay cant wait to see your bag!

450990903_18e76295c2_m.jpg450990917_d48783070e_m.jpg450990923_eb68a5db3a_m.jpg

Well, here are the 2 new ones I finished over the weekend. I love the red!! It is for my 27 year old daughter. The black one is for my mother. I have 2 more that are finished but not lined yet and one more on my hook. I am playing around with yarns. Both of these are done in Mainstays. The other 2 are Peaches and Cream and the one on the hook is in plain ole Red Heart. Believe it or not, I really like the texture of the Red Heart with these bags. It gives it just a little more body.

Catheryn: The dark green came out great too! I can't wait to get back to the ones I am working on for Christmas (had a comforghan and prayer shawl that came up unexpectedly). When I see all the beautiful new bags, it makes me want to drop everything I'm doing and make FBB instead! :hook Love them!

Cranky Crocheter & Candy: I look forward to seeing your bags!:D

SO..I should skip the first st of each row... but when it says to work in the turning chain... do I start in the first ch or 2nd ch of the turning chain.. I know it sounds confusing for me to explain but if somone could better explain the note section before th pattern. I know it is uber easy but I can't "see it"

I just picked one and stuck with it on each row. I don't usually pay much attention to if it is the first or second, etc, since I turn my work the same way at the end of each row, the end of every row looks the same. I doubt it would make much difference, anyway, so I say go with whatever is easiest for you!

Well, I did start the bag and I chucked the idea of the HHDC or whatever it calls for and did it in HDC.... as for the skipping ch and the working in turning chain, I just slipped it as well... and now on row 9, I realize that I have the right number of stitches between my increases but now I have an uneven number of crochets on each side of that... skipping would def correct that.... Gotta go frog this one.... Thanks!!!

A better explanation of the HHDC for those who are having a hard time with it... like me:think

http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/stitches-Hhdc.htm

I like the bag in this stitch but I am trying it in HDC to test out how well I can do this pattern!

Archived