SnB:HH Fat Bottom Bag CAL

yarndiva

Hi Everyone! I bought this SNB Book especially for this pattern, and finally got game enough to start it yesterday, and I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the base of the bag.

Trouble is, it's looking really small! I'm using a Moda Dea 20% Cotton, 80% Bamboo yarn (which is CONSTANTLY splitting), and a 4mm hook (as suggested on the yarn ball band. I'm now worried that it won't be big enough for the handles.

Also, I didn't buy round handles, I couldn't find any...has anyone made the bag with handles that are flat on the bottom, and half a circle on the top???? If so, how'd it go?

I'm so paranoid about this bag...I've never done the hhdc before, and I know I have to pick up stitches along the edge to make the handle flaps and I'm scared because I've never done it before. Can anyone offer any advice?

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought mine looked small too before it was done. Once its sewed together it will look different. It really holds a lot more than it looks like it would.

Handles - yes, I used the D handle and I wouldn't do that again. There is too much material to shove onto the flat part of the D. and it doesn't look as nice as the ones that are made with the round handles. Mine looks kinda lopsided too because of the D handles. If you can take your back and get round ones I would suggest doing that.

Lynn

Thanks for the suggestion Lyn with the D handles, I might keep them for something else...I just couldn't find any round handles that I liked.

Anyway, I finished the bottom of the bag and it was only 25cm from end to end. WAY to small. I put my handles near it and the handles were only a couple of cm shorter than the bottom of the bag. From looking at everyone's pictures it was completely wrong.

So, I started again using the same yarn, just a different hook. This time I'm using a 6mm instead of a 4mm and I think it's making a huge difference. Now I've just got to find handles!

Thanks for the suggestion Lyn with the D handles, I might keep them for something else...I just couldn't find any round handles that I liked.

So, I started again using the same yarn, just a different hook. This time I'm using a 6mm instead of a 4mm and I think it's making a huge difference. Now I've just got to find handles!

I found handles hard to find in Aus. Sounds like you have a solution to the size issue. The first one I made was fairly small (but I was making it as a test anyway and then DD claimed it - good size for her).

The next 2 I have made, I have used larger hooks than recommended by the yarn and the results are much better.

Well, here it is:

FatBottomBag.jpg[/img]

I ended up using the D handles. I've ordered some round ones, that I'll use with my next one.

I'm afraid that though bigger than the first one, it's still to small to use as a day to day bag...for me, I want it tote size!

I'm going to sit down with the pattern this weekend and see if I can double it or something to make it bigger.

I am really impressed with the yarn that I used though. It's a new one, from Spotlight called Moda Vera Bamboo/Cotton. It's 70% Bamboo 30% Cotton. It's quite a heavy yarn as well, much thicker than 8ply/DK yarn like I normally use.

One thing I was impressed with was how my lining turned out. I used the instuctions from Kel found here: http://crochetkel.blogspot.com/2006/10/sew-you-wanna-line-your-fat-bottom-bag.html

When I get a chance, I'll take a picture of the it. It's a lovely gold satin colour.

mandy this is sooooo nice

i like the color

some ladeis used 2 strands of yarn to make it bigger with bigger hook

some added more row on decreasing , strat row, and increasing so you can decide which way you like

Mandy that is lovely, well done. I know I have seen comments from people who have increased the size, both increasing the number of the starting chain and/or double thread and larger hook.

Janet that ribbon yarns is lovely. Is it bigger or smaller than the RH one?

Janet that looks really good!

As far as increasing goes, I'm going to sit down with the pattern today and double everything. I'll make a bigger chain, but still have the increases/decreases around the 5 hhdc in the middle...I'll add more rows, so instead of finishing with 51 rows, I might finish with 102 or something like that. My hubby's a math wizz, I'll get him to help me.

my bags aren`t getting as i want

the one with TLC essencial yarn got toooo small than i wanted i reached the half and stopped

i`ll might open the straight rows onlly and add increasing rows untill it reaches the length i want

but now i`m happy with the RDSS ww yarn country blue and 6mm hook it coming out nicelly and seems to be the perfect size ;)

i tryed RD casual cot`n but it was loosers experements :(

catch you later when i get my bag done

i wish there are others who will work with me in here :)

i'm still here!! :yay

loving reading about everyone's progress!

i'm still making 2 bags for my sisters for christmas - i've done the main part of one and i'm half way through the next - have to get some nice lining - one is purple and the other green - any ideas??

Has anyone used Lion Suede to make one of these bags?? I've made Dot's Ditty Bag with the Lion Suede and liked it, and my SIL said it would make a good FBB, and I have SOOOO MUCH Lion Suede... like around 40 skeins of it total in 2 different colors. I want to find something to do with it, it may just become and afghan, but i never finish those, I want to work on something I'll finish and this bag would make a great Chrsitmas Present if I can pull it off.

So what do ya'll think??

My first FBB :cheer:cheer:cheer

I used ribbon yarn and it came out alot smaller than I had anticipated but I put the handles on anyway.

I am sooooo excited that I finally completed this - thanks to everyone who helped me especially chrispersmom as she sent me a link showing me which way to fold the bag before following the handle instructions

click me!!

th_finishedfbb.jpg

I would like to put a snap on it and was wondering if anyone could suggest some that are easy to attach

jadyn

one lady made (pretty purses) in this yarn and it became amazing and the body is wonderfull

i think betty made her`s with it too

janet

that is wonderful :clap

youve done gr8 job good for you

enjoy useing it sis :hug

Archived