SnB:HH Fat Bottom Bag CAL

yarndiva

Katie~ Im not familiar with that type of ribbon yarn, but I cant see why you couldnt try it! It looks like the people on here have used lots of varieties of yarn for this bag...whatever you use, I would recommend lining it, as it can be quite stretchy. As for the size, its really up to you...smaller hook, lighter yarn=smaller size, bigger hook, heavy yarn=bigger size. The last one I made for my swap partner Donnalynn2 (pics on her blog) was HUGE-tote sized. I used Jiffy Thick and Quick and an "n" hook...HUGE! Id say play around with it, for sure, its a really fun bag!

Hello, NoLooseEnds...I'm kind of embarrassed, the ribbon yarn is actually Lion Brand Incredible, not "celebration"..no idea where that came from! :blush

I bought 5 balls of the "Rainbow" color pattern and 5 balls of "Autumn Leaves"..they are both so pretty..I've made my dd a couple of crocheted purses and she loves them, so hopefully I can complete the Rainbow FBB by Christmas. I'm going to save the Autumn Leaves for myself! I plan on tweaking the pattern a bit..am going to try to make a flap closure, and will try to crochet round handles. will see if it works or not..I hope this ribbon yarn works..I appreciate your input. :hook

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok I need help I don't think I am doing the stitch right. I am following the directions but it is not turning out looking at the pic of it in the book. I am just doing dc is that right? I need help please.:manyheart

The stitch in the book if for a half-half double crochet...hhdc...which is still smaller and more compact than the actual dc, however, in every one of the bags i have made, i used a straight-up half double...hdc...this help to keep your shape and your guage, especially when it comes to the ends of rows. i would imagine that dc is too loose and floppy, but i cant say for sure...hope that helps!

yeah, the herringbone half double crochet can be a little complicated. i did use HDC on one of the bags i made, but i like the way the HHDC looks, so i did the last one with that. what is confusing you?

The stich doesn't look like the one in the book. I am doing the yo. It just looks like the hdc. It says in next st am I supposed to skip a stitch. I can ususally figure it out but I don't know what I am doing wrong. it is getting wider and seems to be the right gauge I just want to do the right stitch. Any help would be great thanks ladies:manyheart

ok...i think i figured it out.....you YO , insert your hook in the stitch, YO, and draw back thru 2 loops. your YO and the first loop. (like a hdc) but then (this is the tricky part) you YO again and pull it thru the 2 loops left on your hook. if you need more help , let me know ok? HTH!!! good luck!!

hey i just made this bag before i found this thread!!

have now realised i did it wrong cos i used hdc instead of hhdc - but it looks okay to me!

i haven't sewed it up yet and now i think i might rip out the handles and put lining in first - might as well try to do some bits right!!

Hi Claire, welcome to the ville I see that you are fairly new and I am hoping that you will have a great time exploring and finding new friends. I have had a great time since I joined only a couple of months ago. check in often there is lots going on. see ya soon:manyheart

The stich doesn't look like the one in the book. I am doing the yo. It just looks like the hdc.

Im trying to work out where you are in the pattern. The HHDC is tricky to work out. It took me a while to get it flowing the first time. Have a look at http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/stitches-Hhdc.htm to see some images of how to do it. (I find seeing it can help).

hey i just made this bag before i found this thread!!

have now realised i did it wrong cos i used hdc instead of hhdc - but it looks okay to me!

As you can see from this thread - lots of people have done hdc rather than hhdc. I've made one with hhdc and finished the body of a second with hdc. There is a difference - but that is also the yarn I have used (bouche I think) for the second and stitches just don't appear in it.

i've lined my bag!!

this might not seem like much to you seasoned crocheters out there - but i've never done this before!!!!!

had to rip out the handles 1st so still have to do them again to finish but i'm getting there!

was a great weekend all round actually - watching rugby world cup and crocheting!

C

Hello all, How is everyone doing? I almost finished my bag I am not sure I did it correct but I am waiting until I get the handles to see how the bag looks. I did finally figure out the stich and it did take a little bit to really get going. I like the way it turned out. Where do you get the pattern for the lining? I thought about using vintage handles for the bag so I am going to look for those. I will check in later I hope to see some pics. :manyheart

Claire I am glad to see you here and having a great time. See ya here soon.:manyheart :manyheart

I'm wandering in here pretty late in the game--I'm going to be starting mine tomorrow, as soon as I get the yarn. I'm too much of a chicken to sew a lining, so I'm crocheting one. I'm going to do a shoulder strap rather than the wooden handles, because with as many critters around as I've got, the purse HAS to be washable! See y'all soon!

thanks for the lining info. It is never to late to join us we are still in the process or we are still making them. I might make a few more,now that I have the stich down. I am looking for vintage handles for my sisters purse so hopefully I can find some. Also if you wanted to make your purse washable and still use handles you can make the handle directions longer and add buttons holes and then just add buttons to the inside. I saw that on one someone did on there bag it looked good I even thought that I might try it too. Well good luck and check in here often we love pics.:manyheart

It's so funny making this bag at the same time I'm also in the process of making some granny squares for baby blankets, because every time I switch from the bag to the squares I have to remember my hhdc and my hdc and which is which. LOL. I've had to frog a few times and sit there and think about it. :)

Just started a FFB today as I just received my HAppy Hooker book! Had to frog a few times as I found the directions a bit confusing. Then realized there is ALWAYS 5 st between the markers! Duh! I am making mine out of Red Heart Tan. Haven't found the right handles yet and haven't a clue what I'm going to line it with. I'll post a pic when I get it done!

Lynn

Ok, just finished it but still have to make a flower for the front. It went really smoothly, so smoothly that I have purchased yarn for a 2nd FFB! Vanna's yarn in plum!

Lynn

That is great!! I still have to find handles for my sister bag. I think I am still going to make another one or two. I only borrowed my book from the library so I will have to return it soon. I do love pics so if you know how that would be fun for us.:manyheart

Ok, here is a pic of my first FFB. Not too happy with the handles. They are D handles and I had to bunch the material to get it to fit! Next time will use different handles. The flower is crocheted from the scarf & hat set in the S&B book

Lynn

th_1stfatbottombag10_07.jpg

Archived