SnB:HH Fat Bottom Bag CAL

yarndiva

Love your FBB, Lara! I also love the other items you pictured. I have been dying to make the same flower purse from Skamama! Adorable!

Whereabouts in MI did you visit? That's were I live :)

Thanks, Jill! It's verrrrrry strrrrretched out and is evident in the photo. From now on, I am lining everything. Sewing is not my best talent, but practice makes perfect they say.

We didn't go far, just up to St. Joe (2 hours north of where I live). The weather was unseasonably cold, couldn't even go to the beach. It was 40 degrees, rainy and cold, and I packed like 5 kinds of sunscreen!

Tell me where you are in Michigan.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I HATE THIS PATTERN!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing LaraLing is helping me - I am sure once I figure it out I will go - duh - that was simple!!! yeah right :eek

I am not giving up

I too, had a difficult time with the finishing of this bag. After you finish crocheting it, it looks just like a football. I think our natural tendency is to fold the bag over so it resembles the shape of its finished product.

I wish there was a photo in the book that shows what the fold looks like before finishing. That would've cleared it up for me.

Basically, you are decreasing the rows on the long sides, by crocheting 2 rows together (crocheting 2sctog in each of the 52 rows will net 26 stitches).

Don't give up auntbubbels! I will continue to help you today. Please IM me when you are online. I looked at your photos and can tell you that you are very close!!!!!

Those of you reading this post that have made this bag -- please add your 2 cents to what I'm saying!

:hug

I am SE in the Kentwood/Caledonia area :) We will have to meet up sometime. What a small world!

Definately! I work right on Division...in a building (not ON Division, if you get me!) Have you ever been to City Knits in Easttown? Its great! I am hoping to go Friday after work, before I go to Kalamazoo to take hubby and in-laws to the airport...do you work during the day?

Definately! I work right on Division...in a building (not ON Division, if you get me!) Have you ever been to City Knits in Easttown? Its great! I am hoping to go Friday after work, before I go to Kalamazoo to take hubby and in-laws to the airport...do you work during the day?

LOL - our favorite pasttime is driving up and down Division seeing how is 'working'! I totally know what you mean :)

No; I haven't been to City Knits. I generally just go to Threadbender in Wyoming if I need something special - otherwise it is Michael's or JoAnna's.

I don't work - I stay home with my 5 and 3yo DD's. Anna will be starting K next week all day/every day and Lane will be in preschool on TTH - Woo hoo!

I too, had a difficult time with the finishing of this bag. After you finish crocheting it, it looks just like a football. I think our natural tendency is to fold the bag over so it resembles the shape of its finished product.

I wish there was a photo in the book that shows what the fold looks like before finishing. That would've cleared it up for me.

Basically, you are decreasing the rows on the long sides, by crocheting 2 rows together (crocheting 2sctog in each of the 52 rows will net 26 stitches).

Don't give up auntbubbels! I will continue to help you today. Please IM me when you are online. I looked at your photos and can tell you that you are very close!!!!!

Those of you reading this post that have made this bag -- please add your 2 cents to what I'm saying!

:hug

If you look back a few pages you will see where I posted my football in a frantic because I thought I did something completely wrong. Once I figured out you have to crochet the long sides it made complete sense :)

Just finished my 2nd. I was thinking about adding something on the outside of this, but I may just leave it plain. I put blue ribbon on it, but it looked a bit overdone.

One thing I keep forgetting to add is a magnetic snap before I sew in the lining - ugh! Maybe the 3rd time is the charm.

brownFBB1.jpg

brownFBB2.jpg

Your bag is very pretty -- I especially like the rich color with the tortoise shell handles. What kind of yarn did you use? You did a nice job, and I would leave it as is, it will go with 'everything'.

FBB = could also stand for "foot ball bag" :P

Isn't this fun? Wonder how auntbubbels is doing?

Lara

Thank you for the nice compliments. I used Vana's yarn. It worked up a little bit bigger than I thought, but it is still a nice small'ish size. I had the Amy Butler fabric lying around for a few years. I have been itching to use it for a while and when I saw Vana's Chocolate yarn staring at me in JoAnna's I had a huge light bulb go off!

I have a ton of WIPs (ok, not a ton) but I took today to run errands and finish up a couple, before I start on FBB #2. Sometimes I spend too much crochet time on the internet! I did buy some super bulky yarn Yarn Bee on sale at Hobby Lobby to make it with, so I expect to whip one out super quick, probably will start that on Friday while traveling in the car.

Janet -- Haven't checked my email yet today, but I'll go and check and will follow up with ya. I also got your PM. Taking a break is just what you need sometimes to work things out. When you're done with your painting, you can come and finish my kitchen! :P

We have open house at kids' school tonight, so off to another adventure.

L

I just wanted to let you know that your all EVIL!:devil

Before finding this thread I had NO problem not making the fbb. Then today I get to work, grab my hook and start making one. I've had the book forever but had no interest in it, probably because of the colors they used.

But then you all had to make such pretty bags and you twisted my arm :wink and now I'm just about half done. The only thing I don't understand is how to do the lining. But maybe I'll understand it better once I'm done.

I just wanted to let you know that your all EVIL!:devil

Before finding this thread I had NO problem not making the fbb. Then today I get to work, grab my hook and start making one. I've had the book forever but had no interest in it, probably because of the colors they used.

But then you all had to make such pretty bags and you twisted my arm :wink and now I'm just about half done. The only thing I don't understand is how to do the lining. But maybe I'll understand it better once I'm done.

Addicting, isn't it?

How are you going Janet?

DD and DS#1 saw me working on my FBB on the weekend, DD claimed it for herself and I also have to make one for DS#1 as well :). I've nearly finish the body of the bag - as DD will be getting this one I'm trying to work out a slightly different handle for her. My aim is to have it finish this weekend.

Room for another FBB-er? I've been lurking for ages... still kinda new to crochet (knitter really) but ever the risk taker.

I wanted something bigger so started with 29ch instead of the 18, 5 extra for either sides and 1 for the middle...if that makes sense. Hope it works. I'm about half way through and it sorta looks like what everyone says it should...

I was wondering, has anyone tried to lined it with a bias cut lining? It would make it less fiddly, no pleats….Hmm, might try it and update ya’ll. Cross your fingers 4 me.

Archived