Choosing a (folding) spinning wheel

ava

What should I look out for?

I'm a new drop spinner, greatly enjoying it, and am interested in getting a whell. Due to space considerations I need it to be a folding one. I found a great comparison of folding wheels here:

http://www.woolery.com/Pages/foldingwheels.html

The ones that look the most interesting to me are the Ashford Joy and the Kromski Sonata. I note that the Joy has a nonadjustable drive band, would this be an important consideration? What do the different ratios mean? What are the jumbo flyer and fast flyer used for? Anything else I should be made aware of?

Thanks!

I'm an Ashford gal, but I've heard great things about the folding Lendrum (and the Joy).

I note that the Joy has a nonadjustable drive band, would this be an important consideration?

If properly put on, this isn't a big issue until the band stretches. I've replaced all the bands on my wheels (except the Great Wheel & the antique Irish saxon) with pony bead lacing. It's a stretchy band that grips the wheel well and stretches and relaxes naturally. You can buy these from one of the suppliers, like The Woolery for about $8 or go to a craft store and buy a package that has enough length for a few wheels for less than $2.

What do the different ratios mean?

This is how fast the flyer goes in relation to the bobbin. The faster speeds are for spinning thinner yarns. The Ashford has a wonderful selection.

What are the jumbo flyer and fast flyer used for

The jumbo flyer and fast flyer are used to have even more spinning ratios. For my Ashford Traveler, I have the jumbo flyer. I use it to ply 2 yarns together because the bobbin is large enough to hold 2 full 'regular' bobbins. I don't have the fast flyer (also called a 'lace weight flyer') because with the ratios I have on the Traveler, I can spin lace weight.

Hope that helps a bit!

I also am a spinner but new to it. I tried a few wheels and got the Lendrum dt and it spins like a dream. Plus it is a solid wheel and seems to be the best buy for the money. I also ordered it from the woolery and am waiting for it to be delivered. My friend has one so I tried her wheel and loved it. I bought the complete wheel which comes with everything, but spinning fine yarn on that with the regular flyer and bobbin is really easy so you woulldnt need the fast flyer.

Hope this helps

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to get the Kromski Sonata - I narrowed it down to the Sonata and the Ashford Joy, and the Sonata won out in terms of price, look, and features. Unfortunately I've had to decide all this based on the internet as no one has folding wheels near me. I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives!

• 4 weeks later...

Here it is!

Spinningwheel.jpg

There were some backstock issues but everything worked out in the end. This is the Sonata in Walnut finish. I still don't really know what I'm doing but I've got a class at the end of this month so that should straighten me out a bit.

She's beautiful, Ava!

You don't have to wait for the class to get to know your wheel. The first thing I have my spinning students do is just get used to the treadle of the wheel. Don't attach any wool, just sit and treadle until you can control the speed and direction. The slower, the better. See if you change the speeds, stop on a dime and reverse direction with just your feet.

When you're comfortable with that, tie on to the bobbin the end of commercial yan and spin that onto the bobbin. It will give you the feel of fiber being pulled through your hands and knowledge of what type of adjustments you'll need to make for speed of the fiber being taken up on the bobbin.

Have fun!!!

Thanks Cindi, I'll try those ideas! Does it ruin the commercial yarn or can it recover?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Ava - I was wondering how you are getting on with your wheel? I am looking at starting spinning with a wheel and am trawling everywhere to find somewhere local that does lessons - where did you go for yours? Have you found any good places in / near London which supply the wheels etc? I found some residential courses in Scotland and Wlaes but none local to the South East.... :(

Has anyone else found any good places in the UK to help me buy / learn??

I purchased a Sonata earlier this year. Had the opportunity to try out the Lendrum and the Kromski and there was no comparison! The Kromski Sonata has such an easy action. In comparison, treadling the Lendrum was like work!

I still have my Ashford Traveller to use with the jumbo flyer/bobbins for plying, but the Sonata is my main wheel now

Archived