Thread Teddy Bears

crochetrae

Are any of you making those tiny little teddy bears that are about 2" tall? I would love to try, but I would like to talk to someone who's done it before I invest in that. The patterns are soooo expensive! Do you have to buy that high dollar mohair or silk that comes on the little cards? Do I have to get those dinky little size 16 or smaller hooks that are impossible to find? The idea of the jointed limbs scare me, too.

I'm probably a hopeless case with all these insecurities. I just want to know what I'm REALLY getting into first.:spina

Susan Rae

I have been making a few of them. I actually joined a group in Yahoo that is just for making little bears and friends. It's called threadanimals. This group should answer your questions. There are even a few free patterns to try out. I am using #80 tatting cotton for my bears right now. I am having such a great time creating these little guys. Don't worry about joining the arms and legs. It's alot easier than you think!! :)h

i'm kinda making one.

it's my first one, so i am using some yarn that is between sizes. it's handspun, smaller than fingering, but larger than 10 thread.... it's not all that hard, truly. just smaller. i think i am using a 4 hook. i think. it's in the suburban, so i can't ck just now, but i think that is right.

I made mine with size 10 and hook size 1 and she is 3". I really enjoyed making her and am now making a piggy with size 10 thread and hook size 5. Got the head and body done just the feet. I want to make a bunch of thread animals! They are so cute!

Hey guys, thanks for all the encouragement. I have some Luster Sheen I thought I would try so he would be a fuzzy bear. All the problems I had with the full size teddies 30 years ago with worsted weight are coming back to haunt me, like shaping the muzzle (mine looked like a 3rd ear), joining legs and arms, all that stuff. Oh yeah, stuffing -- a fat leg and a skinny leg. Embroidered eyes that were never the same size or in the right place.:th

Give me a few more weeks to work up my courage. I'll let you know when I'm really really ready.

Susan Rae

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am one of those folks that make the small thread animals and I have a free pattern on my site for a fully-jointed cat. It's a good starter project because it uses easy-to-find supplies and I also include instructions with pics to show how to join the limbs. Here is the link if you're interested in taking a look....

http://www.wendysweewoolies.com/Jack_the_Cat.html

I have seen these, but haven't saved the pattern and can't remember where i saw them. Can someone post the patterns? THANKS!!

Here's the link to Jack the Cat that weewoolies posted. She's shared that one and others are linked on her home page for free, and there are others on her site that are for sale. Fabulous work!! :clap

• 3 weeks later...

I think...............I'm gonna make one of these for my mom for Mother's day. She collects teddybears especially the little tiny ones. Where is the best pattern for a bear? And please tell me these aren't toooooo awfully hard? At least I know I'll be able to afford the materials!! LOL

I actually joined a group in Yahoo that is just for making little bears and friends. It's called threadanimals.

Thanks for the info! I just joined the group. Looks like fun if I ever finish my other projects so I can start on something new! :yay

Archived