a dyed in the wool yarnie is doing thread

woolandflax

okay, you guys have driven me to it!! Add me to this CAL cause I'm gonna make a bunch of little flower doilies and flowers and applique them all over my jean jacket. I'll probably stick with #3 thread since going much smaller causes my carpel tunnel to flair up. Now I'm just looking for the right colors. I saw some gorgeous stuff in Michael's the other day but only got one color to do book thongs, now I've got to wait a week before I can go get the others. I've got some white though so I'll start with that.

~Rebecca

Yeah for Rebecca!! I know you're gonna just love thread crochet. After 15 years of doing occasional yarn projects, I converted to thread about 15 years ago and now instead of that occasional project, I crochet 4-6 hrs a day! The possibilities are limitless. With time, you'll be able to gradually decrease in thread size and never even notice. I'm using sewing thread now and when I do a project using #10, it's like going back to yarn! Keep us posted on your progress!

Susan Rae

I've never seen KA set on cotton. How did you get that to work, Seneca & Scooch?

I use jaquard procion dyes or natural dyes to dye cotton/hemp/ramie.

I haven't dyed thread yet, though, just plain cotton fabric and hemp top. I have been thinking about it, though... ;)

-jess

I have never used Kool Aid for a wearable, only small projects. But after the thread dried, I rinsed it in cold water to see if it would bleed and it didn't. I used a packet of Kool Aid to a little under one cup of water. Also, I only dyed a little thread at a time. I just lay the thread out on many paper towels and drizzle the Kool Aid over it with a spoon. It turns out really cool if you use a couple of different colors. :))

i was wondering what type of sewing thread you are crocheting with? I've been thinking about trying some. I've been using #80 tatting cotton amd I like it. I'd like to find a similar size thread so that I can get more colors.

Huh - cool. I'd never thought of dying thread. Hmm....I have a big spool of white in my house. And I think I have Kool Aid somewhere....if not, I'll have to ask Marvie to bring some this weekend. :)

You're welcome.:hug I use either Aunt Lydia's (size 10) or South Maid (size 10) I figure those brands of thread are only a couple of bucks so it's not a big investment if it doesn't come out as planned. I have yet to try Easter egg dye but plan to. You could also crochet a simple bookmark or little doily and then dye it.

Have fun! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've crocheted with Valdani machine embroidery thread, size 50, and been very pleased with the results. It comes in a great variety of solid and ombre shades. DMC also makes machine embroidery thread in a huge variety of colors.

As someone who crochets mostly in size 30, I've thought enviously of the number of colors available in those ultra fine tatting cottons. Now you tell me that's still not enough.

Archived