Should You Stiffen a Bookmark?

Sue89

This is my first time making a bookmark (as well as my first time doing filet crochet and my first time using steel hooks). Anyway, I'm finished with the actual bookmark and now just need to decide how I want to add the tassel. I like how it came out, but it's so floppy. Am I supposed to stiffen it?

The pattern I'm using is the Faith, Hope, and Love bookmarks. Link Here I altered it slightly because I want the tassel on the top instead of the bottom so it'll come out of the top of the book without me turning it upside-down.

Somewhere in this house I know I have a bottle of something that's supposed to turn silk flowers to ceramic, but that actually makes them just a bit plastic-feeling. I wonder if that would work or if it would ruin it. Maybe I should test it on a piece of the cotton thread.

Someone suggested using Elmer's Glue with water. She said to add equal parts of glue to water. If you're adding the tassel, maybe you should stiffen it first? I have also saved that pattern for the bookmark before but still have to find time to make it. Post a pic when you're done....:))

good luck!

jackie

Exactly what I would do. I would stiffen before adding tassel. I have used hairspray before to do a "soft" stiffening. Just lay it out and spray it good, let it dry, and turn it over and do again. The Elmers and water works, too.

Hmm. Hairspray? I'd never heard that tip before. I have tried the glue and water before when I made one of those thread angels. It did stiffen it, but the head remained a little floppy. That could be because I had used a hook that was way too big so the stitches weren't as fine.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'll definitely stiffen before adding the tassel.

I just want to add a thank you to Heather Truelove whose post seems to have gotten lost in the move. I had been wondering if stiffening would make the letters show up better and you answered my question. As it is now, I can only see the "LOVE" when I look at it from a distance, which I don't normally do with bookmarks. Thanks for your input. :)

Glad I could help Sue. It did help to see the letters better, though they were still blended and easier to see at an angle. I want to try that bookmark with two colors, doing the letters in a different color.

My Lost Post Read:

I made the Faith one and stiffened it because I thought it needed it to make the letters show up better. It did too. It diluted the liquid stiffener whenever I stiffen bookmarks so it will give it a softer stiffness. I also run it between two fingers if I get it too hard to loosen it up.

Heather

My Blog - Truelove Treasures

Well, I don't usually stiffen the bookmarks. Probably something I should do but I'm lazy, and I find unstiffened works just fine:P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the hairspray tip. I use it for all kinds of crafts. If you spray 3 or 4 coats of hairspray on a silk flower it will feel just like dried flower. You can't tell which is which.

Archived