What was your bigger sucess with crocheting?

My biggest sucess was my FIRST ever sweater for myself. see it on my blog in finished projects. I've been doing the 3/4 of it in 2005, then THE LAST SLEEVE I've done only after 1 year--it's amazing, how much time I need to actually FINISH the LAST part of crocheting!! I remember also how I was afraid to sew it--whare to start, where to go??:eek

But I've done it and it fits me!!!!!:manyheart:cheer:clap:c9

I'm not sure if i've had any 'bigger' sucesses. I've been pretty happy with what I've done, but I haven't done anything that I think of as supper spectacular. I'm probably most pleased with the hat I made a few weeks ago for my teddy bear, if only because I had to figure out how to put ear-holes in it, and it worked on the first try.

I have several projects I'm quite proud of since I started crocheting about 11 years ago, but I still consider my first project quite a success. That's because I had to frog the thing (it was a pillow) and start it over 4...yes, 4...times. Mind you, that's just *starting over.* Altogether, I started it 5 times.I still have it. :manyheart

I had a pattern for a multicolored doily that had over 30 flower motifs on it. I thought it was beautiful, but it was so complicated I was afraid to even try it.

One day, realizing I had enough different colors to attempt it, I did. My thought was, 'Well, if it doesn't turn out or I can't follow the pattern, I can just throw it out.'

The colors weren't exactly like I would have picked if I'd had money to go out and buy new thread, but hey, at least I actually had pinks and some green.

Well, guess what? I got that sucker done, with only a couple mistakes [that only a GREAT crocheter would ever even locate!] and I posted a picture of it to my friends and family.

I ended up selling that sucker [it was 19 inches across] to a lady for $100. It matched her living room PERFECTLY and she decided she couldn't live without it!

That experience taught me a lot.

I'm more willing to try a pattern that scares me now.

Every time I make something that has stretched me as a crocheter is a success...but probably the one that sticks in my mind at the moment was the After 5 jacket that was featured in Crochet! magazine as a pattern back in January 2005 (I think) and after I made it, me and the jacket and an email were published in the Letters to the Editor section of January 2006 Crochet! magazine.

It was an experienced pattern and the first experienced pattern I ever did. I love that jacket and wear it all the time.

But there have been other successes since then. The first time I made a crochet cabled/aran sweater for my DH (and he wears that all the time...) in fact, actually nearly all the sweaters I make for him are great successes...for two reasons...they've all been something I hadn't quite attempted before and he loves them all and wears them all the time...the last one was almost like a final exam for me...I found a very basic zipped up front jacket pattern from Better Homes and Gardens Crochet and I just completely reworked it...completely different stitch pattern for the body, added pockets with borders (an idea I got from a knitting school book), did contrast colored ribbing and collar, and with the collar, because I had actually gotten the wrong sized zipper, had to flip the collar out (it was suppose to be folded in) so the zipper would fit...and the jacket is prima...DH wears it around the house...

I like nearly everything I do, but I think I'm always most proud of my wearables (especially when I make them for other people and they fit like they are suppose to...) but I also get a thrill out of successly taking an idea for a purse and it comes out great...(meaning I'm more than satisfied with it...)

I think for me, my biggest success in the year I've been crocheting is teaching myself everything I knew beyond the chain and sc. I seem to catch on to it fairly quickly. I don't let skill levels scare me away from trying something I want to try. I've made some really pretty doilies I'm very proud of, as well as a couple of afghans. Then again, I'm pretty proud of just about all the things I've made.

I'd have to say my biggest success was the 63 Square Afghan. It took ages to slog through it, but it turned out beautifully. I'm now working my way through the 63 Cable Stitches Afghan as a present for a friend, which is turning out to be a lot harder. :lol

My parents last name in filet!

I didn't try this technique until about 10 years into crochet because it looked too hard,plus,I didn't like #10 thread.

I used 2 strands of #10 held together and gave it a try!

I planned it for a Christmas present & started it in the summer,thinking it would take that long to complete.It was done in 2 days!

I have since made other filet items.

I am proud of every thing that I finish. I show it off to everyone that I can. I have only been really crocheting for two years now. The items that I am most proud of are the hats that I made by just "winging" it. The first one that I made was for a little girl, who's mom is very picky about cloths and stuff. And she liked it so much that she asked me to make one in brown too. That was the biggest compliment ever. So I guess that would have to be my biggest success. Just because it was my design, my, work, my idea, and of course because she likes it so much.

• 1 month later...

I've been so pleased with the hat that I made for my oldest boy. I learned how to crochet in a spiral and then just kind of made it up from there. It's kind of like a newsboy's hat and just looks adorable on him!

Last Christmas and some post-holiday birthdays, I was proud that I crocheted most presents (knitted a few too). They were a lot of dishcloths, scarves, and caps. I was proud that a mesh cap and skullcap with accompanying flowers have been requested again and again! I guess when someone likes what I make and actually uses/wears it, I'm proud. I really haven't done anything that most crocheters would consider technically amazing--I'm not that good!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The first pattern i completed which was the hooded babyafghan with the pound of love yarn from lion brand. turns out that right when I finished it someone at work was becoming a grandma for the first time so i gave it to her to give to her daughter

• 4 years later...

My biggest successes are the reactions I get from people when I surprise them with something I made especially for them :) I just love the feeling!!

• 5 weeks later...

I'd have to say finishing my 1st afghan. It took over a year to finish. I am into girly things and the blanket it was manly with manly colors, so I was glad I made it for my boyfriend. He was really happy when I finished it which made it even better

Archived