last night on Top Design

susieq8579

I saw the show as well. Apparently the designer's felt it was too "Granny" for a young working post college student who they were designing the room for. The college student even said she thought the room was terrible! Personally I thought it was very well done and the afghan gave the room some color as well. So far, very modern , minimilist designs are the ones that seem to impress the judges.

Wendyb532

I saw the show as well. Just because something is crocheted doesn't mean it is beautiful. The afghan was sort of a scrap, granny square with any and every color. It would be the type of thing that had sentimental value to someone, but obviously not to the seller... his grandmother made it. I thought the afghan looked tacky in the room, didn't fit for the young person. However, I felt bad for the designer because I think she was eliminated just because of one mistake in the room.

Joan

I, actually, thought the afghan was very nicely done! I thought the colors were pretty and it appeared to be in nice condition. (I was more upset that he would sell something his grandma made for $25! he should be ashamed!)

I thought it was horrible the way the judges lambasted her about that thing! I'm sorry, but even when their clients LOVED the rooms, the judges have something horrible to say! I thought the woman who designed the room with the afghan was one of the more "normal, middle america" designers on the show.

Either way, just because it was crocheted doesn't mean it's nasty. That's what really left a bad taste in my mouth!

Yeah, I didn't agree with how they kept saying the afghan was ugly and too much like "grandma." However, I do agree that it didn't work with the rest of the room. In fact, I didn't think the room looked coherent at all, there was no one design element that defined the room.

And as much as the judges kept complimenting the wallpaper - I thought it was hideous!:eek

I think that if she had used the afghan as more of a focal piece and actually designed a room that picked up on some of the colors and that was youthful and exciting, the judges wouldn't have hated the afghan as much.

Archived