Alternatives for cool-aid

new2crocheting

Hello

I have a question regarding dying...

I need to dye my yarn however, cool aid is not available at my country...can I use ANY sort of other food coloring powders or liquids?

How can i dye it so that it comes like this: 10 cm color 1, 10 cm color 2, 10 cm color 3, etc>> I mean i noticed most people dye in adifferent way so that one colors will be focused on very long areas , I know it is easier do to this, however, i want to do the other way...any ideas?

Is there any internet business like amazon sells cool-aid??? and delivers it to international countries?? I searched in amazon but it seems they do not sell food items!:P

You can use food coloring or cake icing dye. Both should be available at your grocery store. Make sure you add vinegar to the food coloring mix to help the color set. I used 1/4 vinegar to 4 cups water with my food coloring.

As for making smaller bands of color I know some people have used small ties to create a seperator. You could also try using a small sponge brush to apply the dye. THere will be some blending, but with practice you should be able to get it how you like.

it is spelt Kool Aid, with a K :) That may help in your search. When you can start a wishlist and make sure to add Kool Aid to it :) I *think* I read that you can use jelly crystals (jello). don't forget purchased dyes like edicol and all the others available at fabric stores. much more expensive that way though. other food products can work too. tea and coffee make lovely tan/brown shades. spooning on the colour mix should help to keep the areas small but you would have to be careful to make sure it soaks through all the threads.

I've never dyed before so don't feel bad if you need to correct me on anything :)

Archived