Weekend in Gaspé -15 inch doll

darski

Weekend in Gaspé :pinterest

post-4896-0-86578500-1364349515_thumb.jpg

This ensemble is one of those fabulous mix and match separates that we all had to have back in the eighties so everything went with everything.

The items allow for exploring the beach and rocks , supper out for down-east hospitality and something to wear to church on Sunday and of course, a nightie with panties for an overnight stay.

(I am planning a trip to Calgary for our darling soon and it will also co-ordinate with these items.)

The items include
Nightie with panties
Overalls - can go with short sleeve tops
A-line skirt with 2 tops and lobster bib
Hat and shrug add-ons for church on Sunday.

I used WW yarn for all items and hooks varied from 5mm to 6.5 mm depending on the item and the heft of the WW yarn.

Nightie

post-4896-0-20485100-1364349515.jpg

With pink
Work closures in any way that works for you. I put in button loops as I went
Chain 31
Row 1: sc in 5, 2sc in 5, sc in 10, 2sc in 5, sc in 5. ch turn

Row 2: Dc in 5, ch 4, sk 10 sc, dc in next 10, ch 4, sk 10 sc, dc in next 5.

Row 3: hdc across working 1 hdc in each chain created in the last row.

Row 4: work (1dc, 2dc in next) across row.

Row 5: ch 3, sk 2 dc. Work shell ((2dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next dc and every 3rd dc across. End with dc in last hdc.

Row 6 and on: continue to work rows of Shell in shell until the nightie is as long as you would like it. I joined the rows and worked in the round after row 8. Please note that you have a beginning and ending DC (or ch 3) that you continue until you join at the end of round 7. At that time, work another shell at the join spot and continue working shell in shell.

Easy way to start in the chain space. always start your shell with a ch 5 and 2dc in ch space. work around your shells and come back to the original space... work a dc and join in 3rd chain of chain 5. slip st into space and begin next row with Chain 5..and so on and so on and so on and so on

I made a long nightie but was really tempted to go with baby dolls.

Panties:
Make a waistband of 1/4 inch elastic and work 40 sc into the ring formed.

Work 4 rows of dc and then join the 1st stitch to the 20th st and the 21st st to the 40th stitch.

The Overalls
You need 6 buttons for this and a small amount of a contrasting yarn for the pocket.

post-4896-0-46147700-1364349516.jpg

Legs… Make 2 and do not break off after finishing the second one.

Ch 21 and join with a slip stitch. Work 7 rows of dc joining at the end of each round.

Line up the two legs and join together with sc in four stitches. Work around the two leg sections with Double Crochet coming back to crotch area and break off.

Torso
Flatten the legs and find the two side seams; mark both sides.. Attach yarn to front loop only of left side (as worn)

Row 1 F: Work double crochet in FLO for 2 stitches then in both loops across to 2 st before your marked stitch for the right side seam; work 2dc in FLO. Ch and turn.

Row 2 F: work dc across.

Row 3 F: work button loops at both ends and dc across

Row 4 F: work a row of dc across

Row 5 F: repeat Row 3F. Break off

Row 1 Back: Return to where Front torso was started and attach yarn in back loop. Work row of double crochet across working in BLO when they are presented..

Rows 2 – 5 B: work 4 more rows of DC and break off.

Bib…
Find and mark the 10 centre stitches in the front.
Attach yarn in 1st st and ch 3, dc in next st, dc in BLO of next 8 sts, dc in last 2 st.

Work 2 more rows of DC and break off.

Bib Pocket…
With contrasting colour…
Attach yarn in top of 3rd dc (of row 1). work dc in first Front Loop left from working back loops in original row and in the next 7 front loops as well. Connect to the top of the loops from the background

Ch 3 connect to top of stitches and then work dc across pocket again connecting to the background

I did put 2 dc in some stitches because my varigated yarn was much finer than my overall’s yarn. It also gave it a bit of bulge.

Straps…

Find the centre 6 sts of the back and attach yarn with sl st. Work Sc in next st, 2 hdc in next 2 sts, sc in next and sl st in last ch and turn.

Hdc in the sc and 2 hdc from first row…
Work 1st strap by working 12 rows of hdc (includes this first row)
End by working hdc in 1st st, ch 1, hdc in last stitch. (forms buttonhole)

Attach yarn in remaining sc of strap base and again work 12 rows of hdc and end with buttonhole row as above.

Sew on buttons to front bib and to pants back pieces to match buttonholes.

Weave in all ends. Go explore those rocks :lol

Skirt…

post-4896-0-09428400-1364349517_thumb.jpg

Create your ¼ elastic waistband and sc 40 times in ring formed.

Work 3 rows of double crochet even.

Work 1 row increasing stitches in whatever numbers you want.
I worked 3 dc into every 5th stitch.

Work (at least) one more row of dc and break off. Weave in ends.

Red Top
Remember to allow for joining method.

With red… Chain 25
Row 1: sc in 4, 2 sc in 4, sc in 8, 2sc in 4, sc in 4. Secure end but do not break off (32 sc)

Trim Row: Attach Skirt yarn and work sc between the stitches. Break off.

Pick up the Red again…
Row 2: Work 4 dc, V-stitch, 6 dc, V-st, 8dc, V-st, 6dc, V-st, 4 dc.

Row 3: work across row working dc in every dc and V-st in V-stitches.

Row 4: *Work dc in dc to V-st, work dc in V-st chain 2 then dc in next V-st, * repeat and end with dc in dc to end.

Row 5: Dc in dc across

Row 6: Work dc in 2 dc, 2dc in next dc across row. Break off.

Add closure as needed.

Varigated Top… (for church outfit)
post-4896-0-91716600-1364349519.jpg

Work as for Red top but omit Trim row and instead, work sc edging along back edge, chain3, sc in every other stitch along the neck then and sc along last back edge adding button loops if desired.

Lobster Bib
post-4896-0-99642000-1364349517.jpg

Row 1: With white, chain 16, dc in 4th chain from hook and work dc across with increase in every other stitch.

Row 2: slip st into 4 stitches then work sc across ending at 5th dc from end.

Continue working dc rows on the right side and sc rows on the wrong side but decrease a stitch at each edge in dc. Break off.

Use red to create chain ties with sc across top of bib.

With Red, embroider something that could be believed to be a lobster on the front of the bib or just the word EAT or something like that.

Hat…
post-4896-0-64175600-1364349518_thumb.jpg

Rows 1 – 7: With Overall’s yarn, start the basic circle hat and work flat for 7 rows.

Row 8 – 11: Work double crochet around and join. I had 43 stitches around at this point but your mileage may vary.

Row 12: Work FPsc around increasing in every other stitch.

Row 13: Work double crochet in every sc and break off.

The Shrug…

post-4896-0-20668800-1364349519.jpg

I am not happy with this but I think that is because the yarn is too hefty for what I was trying to make happen. I am including the pattern because it does round out the weekend outfit pieces. This follows Mrs. Who’s fluffy blue shrug process

First half…With Blue…

Row 1: Chain 9, dc in 4th chain from hook and across. Place a yarn bow at this end to mark it as the bottom of the shrug.

Row 2: Dc across, working increase in next to last stitch.
Row 3 -7:work dc across row increasing at both ends, join at the end of Row 7.

Work 5 rows of Double Crochet in the round and break off. (I had 16 dc at this point)

Work the second half into the original chain and in the same way but be sure your increase on the 2nd row is at the top. (you marked the bottom so you could do this :yes )

Join yarn at the back and work a row of dc around the edge of the shrug keeping even at the back and increasing gently as your work around the front and the neck. Join and break off.

This shrug is large and easy to get on. One might almost say it is too generous but the last one I made would have been impossible for little ones to get onto the doll.

Copyright: Darlene Cutler, 2007

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

Wow! You sure have been busy :hook. These outfits are wonderful. Dora is going to have more clothes than the gd's. I sure admire your ability to create all these wonderful clothes. Thank-you, thank-you!:clap

Carolyn

I've been waiting with bated breath for your next pattern, and you hit me with THIS!?!

Do you not know that I'm involved in a swap, woman? That I have a house to clean? A child to feed? A mother to mollify on a regular basis?

Too, too cute.

I may just do the hat and shrug from this. I'll try the shrug with sport weight baby yarn and let you know how it looks.

I did the February dress, btw, and it came out great. I had to do a little tweaking in the back for the velcro, but I worked it out.

For anyone else that wants to do velcro, get 5/8" SOFT velcro (not regular velcro) and then cut it in half lengthwise so it's half of 5/8" (I'm NOT doing that math and you can't make me). Then just hand sew it on, making sure you only sew into the part of the stitch that is on the back of the fabric, or use a matching thread.

The soft velcro is soft enough to not "catch" even the Caron simply soft yarn I used on the dress. Oh, be sure to put the "hard" side of the velcro on the side of the garment that goes closest to Dora's body and the "soft" side of the velcro on the side that will get pulled off. That also lessens the snagging factor.

Darski, you seriously need to look into selling these patterns to Leisure Arts or something. They are wonderful, and very well written. I don't think I've run across one error that wasn't just typo in any of my read throughs.

I think I'm going to have to go stock up on some RHSS at JoAnn's while it's on sale so I can get Dora all gussied up - I've run out of scrap yarn!

Wal-mart has for $15 - and shipping is like 97 cents! I feel a shopping spree coming on - and I don't blame you on the original clothes. I saw some of the extra ones you can buy and MAN! they're almost more than the DOLL!!

I LOVE your creations - and I AM BUYING THIS DOLL! (Maybe even one for my niece as well as my daughters - they can share - Heck, I may just keep her for MYSELF!)

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

WOW! thank you so much! You do realize the company that makes Dora is making alot of money because of you! lol I ran out (well, after much convincing hubby that I needed another doll) and now have Dora here:).......thanks again..................Lise

whoa Darski.. you've outdone yourself!! all brilliant as usual, but I do love that little nightie

Oh my!!! I can't keep up. I have finished the ballet dress, and I think I'm going to pair a shrug with it to keep her shoulders warm, lol. Then I'm going to make the February dress, then the nightie, aaaahhhhhhh!! I also have to come up with a headband tiara/crown to go with the ballet outfit. My dd is 3 and everything is about princesses. I'll also have to create a Cinderella type dress for her too. She got this doll last xmas and hasn't touched it for months, now there is a renewed interest. Thanks so much!!! Its fun coming online to see what you think of next.

Denise.

If you come up with a pattern for a crown, I'm sure lots here would love it.

I was thinking of one but if you have it figured out - have at it girl!

I just can't decide on a colour :queen

My dd loves crowns. So I came up with this

Headband crown

With H hook and ww yarn ch 45 and without twisting, join.

sc 10, (sc, ch 1, sc) in next 5 chs, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next 5 chs, (tr, ch 1, tr) in next 5 chs, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next 5 chs, (sc, ch 1, sc) in next 5 chs, sc 10, join with sl st and fasten off. The sc part of the band goes under the hair and the rest is a bit wavy, like the ballet dress with the trs in the center front.

I wanted to keep that bit of waviness to match the dress and it looks cute on Dora.

Denise

Thanks for sharing the ballet pattern and shoes. They work up fast and look great.

Dora.jpg?t=1171660011

Okay Darski, fess up. The doll and cloths are yours right?:rofl

Boy if your Granddaughter (if you have one) comes over and sees all those cloths you are sunk.:help

Sorry couldn't resist. You are doing a great job on the cloths. It is really nice of you to share also.

This doll is better dressed than I am.

Keep up the beautiful work.:tup

Can someone give me the waist measurement for Dora so I can make my elastic waistbands? Thanks for your help. I have 2 dolls coming for my gd's who will be coming to visit us in two weeks.

Carolyn

Can someone give me the waist measurement for Dora so I can make my elastic waistbands? Thanks for your help. I have 2 dolls coming for my gd's who will be coming to visit us in two weeks.

Carolyn

The waistband tied and at rest equal 8 inches. Well, that is the skirt that I grabbed and measured so that is the neighbourhood. Remember that that is already tied so don't cut to 8 inches.

Depending on where your tape falls (and how wide it is) her waist is around 10 inches.

Archived