Food Coloring makes pretties!

Tapanga

These are my second and third attemps at dyeing. I used regular old gel food coloring to get these. And while the purple was a sad purple, I love how they came out. One is very bright and girly while the other is much more subtle and masculine.

Painted14.jpg

paintedyarn13.jpg

its fun isn't it!

my fav is coffee and tea dyeing...well actually its techincally staining the yarn, but its my fav way to dye.

I leave the other colors up to the experts.

When you dye with coffee/tea, do you get yarn that is all one color, or is it possible to get a sort of variegated yarn, but all with one color. Sort of a range of browns from lighter to darker??

Tapanga... I love the colors you got. I've got to try that, but I'll have to wait until spring so I can do it outdoors.

Joan

Whoa Lindsay, that is so cool :D I've dyed with KoolAid, but wondered how I could get more natural colors. I may have to give that a try. :D Do you have any guides/advice for how to do it? Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

Cool, I'm yet to try dying which is crazy as I drool over hand dyed sock yarn for hours. Well done you, the yarn is beautiful.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
its fun isn't it!

my fav is coffee and tea dyeing...well actually its techincally staining the yarn, but its my fav way to dye.

I leave the other colors up to the experts.

How do you dye with coffee?

Try onion skins for yellow...or red onion skins for some kind of pink. Walnut hulls will give brown, too, and it's about the right time of year for them if they grow in your area.

I'm curious about the manner in which you tie and dip/soak your yarn. Is there someplace that describes how to do that?

Archived