Hook color

waponswa

The color of the hook doesn't matter to me. I just use whichever is the right size and easiest to find.

I have a lot of hooks, and I just leave whichever one I use in the project bag. So if I start another project, I just look for another hook in the correct size.

:manyheart

Me too. I just grab a hook the size I want. The only time I had a problem was with a Q hook matching the yarn and using 2 strands... I had to switch to a smaller hook anyway to get the pattern stitches right and it helped. But other then that as long as it's light enough I don't have a problem.

Debbi

• 3 weeks later...

Found a reason for different color hooks for each size. I started doing squares for my Tetris afghan and I thought the square looks a little loose. But didn't think much of it. I made a second square. Again, didn't think much of it, but did thnk it was different (of course I was using a new color I hadn't before). Then I third square and it was looser. I thought, hook size:oops Yep, one size too big. They are the same color hooks. So I frogged one and redid it, a slight difference. I decided to redo another one. The last one wasn't too bad and I thought, I'll just keep it. It was such a small difference on the last one I thought it might be okay. I'll double check after I have some time away from it I don't wan it to be too different it will affect the other squares I know... :(

Debbi

I pick my hooks partly based on color, partly based on my favorites, I have a pink almost purple size h, turquoise blue size f, gold j, and and hunter green I that are my favorites. The i has been used enough that the paint is coming off the tip. I am guilty of only buying yarn that matches the hook, but I think that has more to do with my own color preferences than anything else.

I tend to not like it if my hook is too close in color to my yarn. But I still do like to use blue colored hooks. I like the color because it's not too bright, and it's also my favorite! Alas, I've lost my blue H size hook, which was my favorite one!

I don't know about colour for hooks, mine are all silver except a couple that I hardly ever use. I have never lost my favorite hook though, a size 3.00 mm. It is so worn that the finish is off it and there is a shiny part on the back of the hook.

Selune, I have rubbery handles on most of my hooks too and they do cover the size but I used a permanent marker to put the size on the handle near the end of the hook where I don't really handle it so it doesn't wear off. So far so good.

Carol

Hah, maybe it's a good thing that I use cheapy Susan Bates plastic hooks that all come in white. ^-^ I just color-code the ends with different Sharpies.

White or silver hooks are a lot easier to use in my opinion, since I can see when the yarn is caught or splitting.

• 4 years later...

Hmmm, I've never thought much of hook colour.

When I first taught myself to crochet last year, I bought a "Starter Kit" and a self teaching book. The starter kit had a range of 6 hooks, all of them different colours.

I have one boring grey hook that I stole off of my mother. It's IMPOSSIBLE to find a size 4.00 hook in any of the stores that I've been in. My mom had a 4.00 from when she was growing up, so i had to steal it.

I have anywhere from 2 to 4 of each hook size (B through N), each different colors. I don't like to use the same color, like a red hook for red yarn. When I'm working on a project, I like change, so I'll often change my hook color each day, maybe blue today, red tomorrow, then green. :)

Archived