next on the runway we see.. oh wait, it's BARBIE!

Shell

As some of you are away, my daughter Jessi celebrates her 4th birthday this Sunday. Being a single mum money is always tight, but far tighter than usual this year! So I decided to get busy and crochet some clothes for Jessica's Barbie dolls. She loves when I make her things. And I enjoy doing it. It also affords me a great sense of achievement and fills in time. Remebering that she struggles with buttons and cannot tie things etc, I had to incorporate this into my designs to make them Jessi-friendly. The gals over at the doll clothes/Barbie crochet-a-long have been great encouragement and support. Thanks girls, especially Cara.

I have now finished all these pieces. I had shown photos in the CAL but many of the items have had a few small additions since then. I hope to get some more things finished between now and Sunday, but I am not overly fussed. She is going to love these! All but the burgandy nightgown are my own design, and I haven't written notes, sorry! I got bored with having only the Barbie the streaked hair to photograph, so I opened the doll I got for her bday. Ummah! I will only have to open it that day right? saves me time fighting the packaging in front of an impatient child.. right?? (i am at my graphic limit, no smilies *sad face*)

Cardiagan

th_DSC01934.jpg th_DSC01937.jpg

This is a cardigan crocheted from Coats Milford 4ply cotton and a hook about 2.5mm (it's old school, says 12 but not sure if that is Brit or US). A belt designed so as little fingers can just loop a bead through and it's all "tied".

[/url]

th_DSC01927.jpgth_DSC01926.jpg

Mint nightie is a piece of fabric edged in crochet, the night cap an unlabelled cotton, maybe size 30. Both blankets are variegated baby yarns. The small square one is in anticipation of the Barbie nursery (with baby) I hope to buy. Burgandy nightgown was designed by Mary Jo (many thanks once again) and is worked in DMC Babylo size 10 and a 1.5mm hook. The slippers are crocheted too, the mask a fun extra. The cream on the burgandy nightie is the same cotton as on the mint one and the cap. The moon is also crocheted and then sewn on.

th_DSC01919.jpg th_DSC01918.jpg th_DSC01921.jpg

Barbie is ready for the beach! Her charming 2 piece swim suit crocheted in Aunt Lydia's size 10 cotton even contains built in underwear! Her floral lei is but 2 strands of embroidery floss crocheted as flower motifs and joined upon making each one. Her very stylish net bag is.. I don't remember! But I do remember the flower on it was made with a 0.6mm hook. Wow! Her very vibrant blue beach towel was cut from one of my face washers.

th_DSC01911.jpgth_DSC01917.jpg

A snazzy and fun 2 piece pink skirt and top from Aunt Lydias size 10 cotton. Her very mini handbag being made from embroidery floss is super soft!

th_DSC01905.jpg th_DSC01907.jpg

Another 2 piece set. White DMC Cebelia size 10, the teal DMC Babylo size to. Accented by a row of very cute opalescent shell shaped sequins and 4mm pearl beads. A bead in the centre of her top, and 3 on the side of her skirt to highlight that which acts as a button on her matching clutch purse! Her necklace was tatted, it too containin a pearl.

th_DSC01931.jpg

Assorted accessories to highlight every outfit! Starting in the top right is a skirt very much like that of the swimwear, only the skirt is longer and contains no built in undies. The 3 handbags as previously seen, a pair of actual Barbie shoes for size comparison, a floral lei as seen above, a knitted scarf (4ply Panda Regal cotton) and tucked in the middle there is a "hand towel" hehe An off cut of the face washer.. it just called my name, I swear it! So I edged it in crochet. Waste not want not!!

makes me want to go buy a Barbie and crochet for her!!! Those are wonderful... you did great work! Your daughter will love it!:cheer

hmm.. no! :no that would be a MISTAKE!! lol. it's addictive. thank you for your compliment :rose

Very cool Barbie clothes and accesories! I have two Barbies around here somewhere; with no legs. :( (One of our sons pulled them off....) :blush Once I find their legs (and put them back on), I should try some clothes, too. I haven't made any Barbie clothes in a while.

Thanks for sharing them with us! :hook

Tina

Awesome! You did such a great job. I mean, wow. I know your daughter will :manyheart love them. I thought about making some for my daughter, but (a) I'm not as talented as all that and (b) shes 2, so if I make Barbie clothes, I'll be the one that gets asked to change them! :lol

Thanks for sharing - those are great!

Shell, how wonderful all of those are!!! You're daughter will be absolutely tickled pink!!! Wish her a very happy birthday for me!:cheer:cake:bday:birthday

If I still had a figure that looked like that I'd ask you to make clothes for me! Just gorgeous!

i'm also a single mom and I know how hard it is. Please believe me when I say that it's a much bigger deal to you than it is to her. By the time she's 10 she'll be lucky if she has vague memories of being 4. I guess that's why we take so many pictures lol.

I think any little girl would LOVE it! Are you going to wrap everything separetly so it looks like there's more? (single mama hint)

Very cool! I wouldn't have had the patience to make even one of those outfits! (I most definately don't like working with hooks smaller than a D or E.) She'll just go ga-ga over them. If you were my mom I'd be really happy if I just got one set of handmade barbie clothes for my b-day. My mom used to make me lots of clothes (sewn, since she doesn't crochet) for my cabage patch kids. I eventually started to help and that was tons of fun.

Happy B-day to a very lucky little girl to have such a talented mommie!

They are gorgeous Shell, I may have to ask you for some patterns in a couple of years (my DD is nearly 2, not quite into barbies yet) I promised that she could have just about any doll(within the budget), except Bratz.

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing, you brought a wonderful memory back to me, my mom passed away 14 years ago and I remember my mom sewed barbie clothes (she was an okay crocheter, just blankets in double crochet, but we loved those too). And I loved the barbie clothes she made for my dolls. I remember one I loved, just a simple dress with a full skirt, and I loved that one best! LOL. Your daughter will love these too. Keep making them for her too until she grows out of it, she'll love them always.

Debbi

Awesome! You did such a great job. I mean, wow. I know your daughter will :manyheart love them. I thought about making some for my daughter, but (a) I'm not as talented as all that and (b) shes 2, so if I make Barbie clothes, I'll be the one that gets asked to change them! :lol

Thanks for sharing - those are great!

Lol I know that feeling Kate! One of the purchased pair of jeans is too hard for Jessi to get on by herself and she is always brining them to me. I am sure that you and the other mums of young girls will understand why I made these specifically for Jessi. If they were just for the sake of it, I'd have been using ties and such as they're easier for me to make, less sewing and easy for me to handle! lol PS. One of the mums in the doll clothes cal only has a 2yr old :) they grow before you know it

Shell, how wonderful all of those are!!! You're daughter will be absolutely tickled pink!!! Wish her a very happy birthday for me!:cheer:cake:bday:birthday

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes!! I just showed Jessi but she is too busy fuming that a tv show she doesn't like is on tv. :think

If I still had a figure that looked like that I'd ask you to make clothes for me! Just gorgeous!

i'm also a single mom and I know how hard it is. Please believe me when I say that it's a much bigger deal to you than it is to her. By the time she's 10 she'll be lucky if she has vague memories of being 4. I guess that's why we take so many pictures lol.

I think any little girl would LOVE it! Are you going to wrap everything separetly so it looks like there's more? (single mama hint)

Thank you!! And unfortunately this is the first year Jess really "gets" what a birthday is. She keeps talking about cake and parties and the like. I am hoping my mum does something small as I just can't. I haven't had a party for her since she was 1 I don't think. It doesn't mean too much to me either. I am the kind of person who hates parties as I hate people to think they must gift her. Of course we all LOVE pressies, but I invite them for their friendship. I've heard mums here complain about "last minute invites. they leave no time to buy presents" and the like and that really isnt what it is all about (we dont have a toy shop or anything here. dont even have a chemist!). I do plan to wrap them as "outfits" too. She will remember from that hat goes with what and will chuck a fit if she cant find what she is after at a later date!

They are gorgeous Shell, I may have to ask you for some patterns in a couple of years (my DD is nearly 2, not quite into barbies yet) I promised that she could have just about any doll(within the budget), except Bratz.

I am with you on this Chantelle! I wont let Jessi have Bratz either. She wanted one once, so we bought a baby Bratz. the first one she picked up was a mini baby bratz and it was lying on a tanning bed. I said no way and I chose one instead. That is as far as bratz go in this household! but my cousins 8yr old is fully into Bratz and has all her mums Barbies and barbies of her own. My cousin Stacey is going to sort through all that stuff and has offered to pass some on to Jess. YAY!!

Archived