O.K. Bad Idea!

MindyJedi

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, but how pretty! Don't consign it to the closet! :no Uuuuuuuse iiiiiiiit. :yes

:lol Don't mind me and my brainwashing tactics over here. Handwashing and reblocking is a bit of a pain, but if you find a place for it that doesn't get it dirty too quickly, you'll get your wash's worth out of it! :yay

That's a beautiful tablecloth! Could you buy one of those nice clear plastic covers to put over it instead of just putting it away (or washing it every day!)? I think they are available in a variety of sizes/shapes and can be cut to fit any table. Just an idea...

I second this idea!

What a great Idea!!

I don't like cotton yarn ww very much, but I loove sport weight, so I will scrounge up some large oval doilies and see how those will translate to a tablecloth!

Great Job!! I like the glass cover idea although the plastic one has merit.

That's a beautiful tablecloth! Could you buy one of those nice clear plastic covers to put over it instead of just putting it away (or washing it every day!)? I think they are available in a variety of sizes/shapes and can be cut to fit any table. Just an idea...

that's what i do when i put the ones my mom gave me on the table....

i am a cheat, i would be throwing it into a delicates bag/pillow case and in the machine on a gentle cycle with no spin dry. there is no way in heck i'd be handwashing!! i know it sounds ridiculous but you'd be surprised what I have machine washed when others wouldn't have. not sure i'd do the blocking thing either.. maybe throw it back of the table and let the weight of the beads pull it to shape? if you hadn't noticed, I can be quite lazy about these things.

it is far too nice to never use cos of how "hard" it is to look after :)

LOL

I am too lazy to do things like that too. That's why I don't have much I can't throw into the washer and dryer. I like the pillow cloth idea or the plastic cover.

IT IS GROGEOUS You did a great job.

I have my grandmother's doilies under a glass table topper..........look but don't touch! They look even better under glass.......sort of get spread out better from the weight.

As for the worsted yarn for doilies and tablecloths, I've always suspected this would work and really want to give it a try! I think round blankets were doilies in another life!

Perhaps you could get one of the inexpensive round tables, the decorative ones, which you cover with a tablecloth all the way to the floor? Then put your lovely tablecloth over it, with a plexiglass circle. You could change the underneath tablecloth to match your decor, and the pattern of your doily tablecloth would be emphasized!

DO NOT consign it to the closet!! It's too pretty!

I read Shell's idea and loved it. I could never bring myself to put the tablecloth away, ever. My husband's first response after seeing it was "Wow! It looks like it's floating in space cuz of the glass table. Too cool." How can I hide something like this after a response like that. So I bought a hosiery wash-bag and washed it on gentle. The weight of the beads, after a bit of tugging and shaping, helped hold the edges in place. I simply put it on the glass tabletop to dry. And there it sits, looking great!

I encourage anyone who wants to try this to do it. It took very little time to make, because the doily pattern I was using was for a small doily: Only 29 rounds. Omit any "#%$@" picots and it is an easy project.

Thanks for all the compliments, and suggestions!:manyheart

I was also going to suggest putting it 'under glass' like they do in the fancy restaurants so it stays clean but the beauty shows through... of course you wouldn't want any kids using the part that's hanging down as a napkin:eek

:whew gosh am I glad that worked, or I would have been blamed for ruining your gorgeous work (I notice people second my idea but no one else actually said machine wash it!! :lol )

Are you afraid to wash it in the machine because of the red wooden beads in case they fade??? Can't quite remember all of this or where I read/heard about it but it had something to do w/soaking things like that in plain white vinegar to keep them from bleeding when washed - maybe worth a try on just 1-2 beads to see if it works???

It's BEAUTFIUL!! What a great idea too!

Smiles, Louise

Archived