O.K. Bad Idea!

MindyJedi

tablecloth2.jpg

I made this out of Lion Cotton, worsted. I used a simple doily pattern from an old copy of Decorative Crochet magazine. I omitted the picots and added red wooded beads instead. I thought it would be a pretty and decorative tablecloth to use every day. Bad Idea

:think

It is white: It must be washed frequently.

It has wooded beads: This washing must be done by hand.

It is made of lace: After washing, it must be blocked.

So! Look at it, admire it, notice how well it accents my glass top table. Memorize the way it looks for it won't be this way for long.

:confused

Also, How do you pronounce the word "PICOT"?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's GORGEOUS, Mindy!!! :hook:tup

Although I can understand why you think it's a bad idea. Maybe put it away and only bring it out when special people come over??? :thinking

Oh, and it's pronounced "PEEK-oh" ;)

Looks good! Maybe you can find a round piece of glass to put over the top to protect it, but still let you see it.

As far as the pronunciation, if you hadn't asked, I'd still be pronouncing it wrong. I always thought it was pie-kaht, but it's pee-ko. The emphasis can be put on either the first or second syllable. Go here and click on the red speaker icons to hear it both ways.

That's a beautiful tablecloth! Could you buy one of those nice clear plastic covers to put over it instead of just putting it away (or washing it every day!)? I think they are available in a variety of sizes/shapes and can be cut to fit any table. Just an idea...

Also, How do you pronounce the word "PICOT"?

Don't care how it is pronounced, they are a pain to make. I made a doll outfit that had 24 per row.:eek

Beautiful cover. Now you have answered my question on making a doily out of thicker yarn or thread. Big Thank You.

Beautiful work.:hook

gorgeous table cloth. the beads to do look pretties :D

i am a cheat, i would be throwing it into a delicates bag/pillow case and in the machine on a gentle cycle with no spin dry. there is no way in heck i'd be handwashing!! i know it sounds ridiculous but you'd be surprised what I have machine washed when others wouldn't have. not sure i'd do the blocking thing either.. maybe throw it back of the table and let the weight of the beads pull it to shape? if you hadn't noticed, I can be quite lazy about these things.

it is far too nice to never use cos of how "hard" it is to look after :)

That tablecloth is beautiful - I would NOT call it a mistake! Be proud of what you did - I would use it for special occasions - because it is very special - and take the time to treat it with care - it's worth it! Think of how long it took you to make it!!

Joni

VERY PRETTY!! Don't call it a mistake, it will never let you forget it :P , it is great work, and I love the idea of a plastic cover for it.

humpppppppppp I always said picot like this

Pee-Cot...roflbo

In spite of your protestations, I don't think this was a bad idea at all...I've gotten use to hand washing certain things and finger blocking other things and so this wouldn't bother me in the least. That it's white if you have young children around, yes, that could pose a problem. But I believe things should be enjoyed, yes, even if they get stained by little ones...they are future memories...

Beautiful work and I love the idea of the beads...

gorgeous table cloth. the beads to do look pretties :D

i am a cheat, i would be throwing it into a delicates bag/pillow case and in the machine on a gentle cycle with no spin dry. there is no way in heck i'd be handwashing!! i know it sounds ridiculous but you'd be surprised what I have machine washed when others wouldn't have. not sure i'd do the blocking thing either.. maybe throw it back of the table and let the weight of the beads pull it to shape? if you hadn't noticed, I can be quite lazy about these things.

it is far too nice to never use cos of how "hard" it is to look after :)

I totally agree with Shell on this...

I like the clear cover idea either a glass topper or a clear plastic table cloth. what is the point of having something so beautiful if you are not going to use it. DH grandmother had a beautiful table cloth on a big table that had a glass topper on it kept it pretty safe. Enjoy the table cloth.

Archived