Scrap Afghan CAL

Doula4U

LauraLee- I think I would die if I only got 15 minutes to crochet. *gasp*

And :cheer, you got some rows done!!!

My daughter saw your avatar and said, she must have a thing for butterflies. And then in the next post you said you had to get 60 butterfly fridgies done..LOL

biz

Yeah, it's not easy not getting much crochet time in. And to think that is not even 15 minutes a day that I get! :eek

Wonder what made your daughter think I had a "thing" just because of the avatar? I do like them tho. It's kinda my trademark. hee hee

Once something that looked like a butterfly saved my life. Literally and seriously!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok everyone. Where are you hiding???? I am done working on the butterflies so it is back to the afghan!!! Who else is working on theirs this weekend?

Let's see how much we can get busted out!!! :cheer

Hey all, I've been following your thread until I - hopefully - get a chance to start an afghan of my own. I've got so many WIP's and WIM's thanks to this forum!!! You're pics are all looking pretty darn good for being scrap-gahns.

Once something that looked like a butterfly saved my life. Literally and seriously!

I'd love to hear the story behind this cryptic statement!

Cheering you on from the Saskatchewan prairies!

Yeah LauraLee it would be interesting to find that info out! (Butterfly)

I am all but finished on afghan. Just doing the outer edging, but my shoulder felt like it was going to fall out of its socket, so I quit and went to bed. I will finish tonight if I'm not too tired.

biz

Bizzy....how many rows are in each of your 'ghans? And how wide are they?

I just must be really slow or something! I got 2 more rows done yesterday at the baseball game. I should count how many rows I have done.

Yes, you have some comfy 'ghans...AND your stash is smaller! :clap

Bizzy....how many rows are in each of your 'ghans? And how wide are they?

I just must be really slow or something! I got 2 more rows done yesterday at the baseball game. I should count how many rows I have done.

Yes, you have some comfy 'ghans...AND your stash is smaller! :clap

Lauralee, you ask hard questions. I really don't know the row count. I only know that I am 5'1" and they are about 3"-4" taller than me. And 100 dc's wide with three strands.

Girl, you got 8 kids!!! Slow is better than not moving!! :D

CALs are way to addicting... that's my excuse.

As I was looking for skiens of yarn to do my Tetris afghan (another CAL) I realized I have tons of half skeins, in fact I had 3 half that were different shades of red:think . So as I was looking at my stash (not as big as some here, but still big) I couldn't decide what to do with it. I saw a few show and tells of 3 strands and though they looked nice. Mine never seem to. But yesterday afternoon I was reading through crochetville and came to this CAL and thought, why not.

So last night I started my 3 strand afghan! I'm using a P hook and doing single crochet, but since I crochet loose it's not a very night stitch, but tight enough. So far I have 10 inches done! And it's kind of ugly, but I kind of like that.

I know some probably haven't done this afghan for a while as it's getting hot in places (here too) but I want to bust some of my stash so I feel better about buying new yarn (Of course that probably wont' stop me, but it will help). And it's a great excuse to buy some...

So I hope it's okay for me to join since I've all ready started (wanted to start before I join to make sure I'm more committed... to a CAL).

Debbi

[quote name=Debbi-a1

So last night I started my 3 strand afghan! I'm using a P hook and doing single crochet' date=' but since I crochet loose it's not a very night stitch, but tight enough. So far I have 10 inches done! And it's kind of ugly, but I kind of like that.

[/quote]

Debbi, It will be beautiful when it's done, and it will be warm too :-)

I'm using single crochet and a P hook for mine also. Mine is almost big enough and I'm thinking of stating another one. These go sooooo fast!

Welcome Debbi! I'm glad you chose us to use up that yarn. :)

Would you all mind not talking about how fast they work up? hee hee I just counted my rows. I have only 52 done!! Now I am all depressed. lol

But as Bizzy says...movin' some is better than not movin' at all.

I would LOVE to see pics of the 'ghans as they are in progress (HINT HINT)

~LL~

I started mine Yesterday! I'm using an "M" Hook and HDC's

I used 51 Balls Yesterday, I haven't had a chance to work on it today!

I posted a few pictures on my Blog - Check it out! I love having Comments on my Blog, so leave me a comment!

I started out with a Tote full of Yarn and I have used 1/4 or so of it!

Have a Great Week!

P.S. Thanks for the invite Doula4U!

Pamela,

WELCOME!!! Thanks for joining us. Your 'ghan looks GREAT! I tried leaving you a message yesterday I think it was on your purple 'ghan but it wasn't accepting it. Maybe you could walk me through it? lol I entered my google acct info. Anyway....

I am needing more yarn for my 'ghan. And I am too cheap to go buy some more. So I may be stuck for awhile. Until I can get some. ::sigh::

Pamela, I don't have a google account, but I love your afghan. Now I'm thinking mine looks pretty good, but I like yours because I wanted mine to be the ugliest thing so I could keep it.... LOL.

Lauralee have you looked at second hand stores or yard sales (if it's warm enough)? Or do you have a micheals 40% off coupon, if they have one? or check the clearance bins? That might help offset costs. Or just put it aside until you have more yarn left over from other projects. I was worried that might happen to me, but I'm thinking it won't.

I have about 20 inches done (need to take a pic soon) and it's very wide. And I still have more yarn!

Question: I saw this posted earlier but maybe missed the reply as I didn't read all the posts... Are any of you using vergiated/ombre/multi color yarn? I have a bunch of it that is just sitting there and could use it, but not sure. I saw most don't, but wondering if some of you have. I thought maybe I'll save it for a scrap rug, like one I made before with verigated, it turned out nice because of 3 strands of different verigated, but may use it for this afghan... not sure...

Debbi

Question: I saw this posted earlier but maybe missed the reply as I didn't read all the posts... Are any of you using vergiated/ombre/multi color yarn? I have a bunch of it that is just sitting there and could use it, but not sure. I saw most don't, but wondering if some of you have. I thought maybe I'll save it for a scrap rug, like one I made before with verigated, it turned out nice because of 3 strands of different verigated, but may use it for this afghan... not sure...

Debbi

Debbi,

I've used Variegated in mine! I think it looks neat with the other colors mixed on top of it!

I'm not sure what is up with Blogger and Comments? O Well!

Question: I saw this posted earlier but maybe missed the reply as I didn't read all the posts... Are any of you using vergiated/ombre/multi color yarn?

Gosh, I never thought of using varigated yarn. I'll bet it would be nice. Just more colors. I like how the colors morph into each other by changing just one strand at a time. Speaking of changing--- how are you doing it? Knots? No knots? I've been overlapping 12 or more inches and working the extra one in. Doesn't seem to effect the thickness that much. Then if I need to I can work in the little tiny yarn tails.

Okay I'm going to use verigated when I run out of the other yarn. I have long ends to weave in (still). I'll probably weave them in like any other yarn ends.

Here's a pic of mine so far. It's fold in half so you can see how long it's going to be. Again it's about 20 inches wide so far.

scrapghan3-21-07.jpg

[not clickable]

Here's a close up

scrapghan3-21-07b.jpg

[not clickable]

How I got so much red I don't know.... I found some when doing my tetris afghan and realized the 3 different shades wouldn't work for that afghan so they're used for this one because they are right there.

Debbi

Archived