Scrap Afghan CAL

Doula4U

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amanda, I love your afghan :manyheart and the pattern looks like it would be a lot of fun! What size hook did you use for your two strands of yarn and approximately how many chains did you start with? I would love to try it. Oh, I hope it's not too late to join this CAL! :ty

I am using an N hook and I started with 101 chains. The pattern calls for 170 chains but it is for my 9 month old son and i didn't want it to swallow him:help

I've been plodding away on my Stained Glass Window afghan strips (which I like the look of a lot) but I needed something that was faster. So tonight when watching the news, i grabbed a P hook, 3 balls of yarn and started a 3 strand blankie. This thing goes fast!! I'm only making it 50 stitches wide for a lapghan, but in a couple hours it's 8 or 9 inches wide. I have a bunch of tennis ball sized yarn balls, plus some partial skeins, so I'm just grabbing one when one of the yarns runs out. Almost instant gratification!

I love all of you scrap blankie pix too!

I've been plodding away on my Stained Glass Window afghan strips (which I like the look of a lot) but I needed something that was faster. So tonight when watching the news, i grabbed a P hook, 3 balls of yarn and started a 3 strand blankie. This thing goes fast!! I'm only making it 50 stitches wide for a lapghan, but in a couple hours it's 8 or 9 inches wide. I have a bunch of tennis ball sized yarn balls, plus some partial skeins, so I'm just grabbing one when one of the yarns runs out. Almost instant gratification!

I love all of you scrap blankie pix too!

It's almost like your favorite comfort food, isn't it? :soup There is just something so satisfying in making this thing!:)

I am still only half way thru mine and I have some charity stuff to get caught up on this weekend, so I won't be touching it much...(maybe tomorrow during the Daytona 500?) we'll see.

Keep up the good work all...love the pics!

biz

Oh I am *so* put to shame!!! How many hours a day do you think you crochet? I haven't had the opportunity to pick up my hook in a few days or longer. :(

Thanks for pics! I'll get another one of mine out soon.:yes

Oh I am *so* put to shame!!! How many hours a day do you think you crochet? I haven't had the opportunity to pick up my hook in a few days or longer. :(

Thanks for pics! I'll get another one of mine out soon.:yes

Really? I only crochet on the stash buster afghan at night while watching movies. I sometimes get to crochet 4 hours, sometimes only 2 depending on what kind of movie binge the family is on. Some nights I don't get to crochet at all (chores, reading, etc). I haven't been able to crochet at work all week cuz the kids have needed me so my misc afghan CAL is suffering.

I think I just like working on this afghan so much cuz it produces something out of the mess I call my stash. This yarn has sat around my house for years (literally) and done nothing. I make and make and make for charity and almost never do anything for myself or my family. I am enjoying being able to provide some warmth for them. This winter has been cold and windy and our house is a little drafty by the windows, so everyone loves the blankets. I think we will keep 3 strand #3 and maybe...possibly...3 strand #4, just cuz there are four of us...but I really think I can do one for charity too out of all this yarn. There is a women's shelter near us that I love to do things for and they could probably benefit from a blanket. :hook

Sorry for rambling.

I think you can use as many strands as you want. Its just sposed to be a scrappy thing..right? I think??

thats awsom

i`ll receive yarns for 2 afghans which lefts looooooots of yarns wooooooow:clap for this cal i`ll be crocheting

if the left overs wgere enough i`ll make it whith 2 strands together:yay

thats awsom

i`ll receive yarns for 2 afghans which lefts looooooots of yarns wooooooow:clap for this cal i`ll be crocheting

if the left overs wgere enough i`ll make it whith 2 strands together:yay

Good for you. It'll be neat to see your afghan! Be sure to post pics!:hook

Hi everyone:

I've wanted to make a scrapghan for quite some time. The problem is, my scraps are non knitting worsted stuff. My knitting worsted yarn gets used up almost immediately and have very few scraps.

On the other hand, I have 3 or 4 large tupperware tubs full of novelty yarn (e.g. fun fur, boucle, 1/2 balls of chunky/bulky yarns/cottons). Has anyone mixed and matched textures as well as colours to make a scrap afghan? If so, can you recommend a pattern?

My fear is the fibre content changes from ball to ball and I'd hate to make an afghan with wool/cotton/acrylic mixtures. :eek It would be a washing/wearing nightmare.

Comments anyone?

Cheryl. :hook

Bizzy, I am really glad you are finally doing something for you and your family! And the fact they are enjoying them is even better! Good for you! I'm jealous you get to crochet for so long each day! If I get crocheting in..it is maybe 15 minutes. If I have an abundance of time it might be 30 min. But all of that is rare to begin with.

Cheryl- I was tempted to put some "fun yarn" in my afghan. I don't know that I would do things that can't be washed. But if they all can be washed and dried..why not?

Hey, I got 2 more rows done of my afghan yesterday! I took it to a little group I have once a month. They all loved it so I was happy about that.

Altho, I have to get 60 butterfly fridgies done by Thursday...so I will be working on that this week in my oh, so limited time I have to crochet.

LauraLee- I think I would die if I only got 15 minutes to crochet. *gasp*

And :cheer, you got some rows done!!!

My daughter saw your avatar and said, she must have a thing for butterflies. And then in the next post you said you had to get 60 butterfly fridgies done..LOL

biz

Archived