Scrap Afghan CAL

Doula4U

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the compliments! But Ooops...:eek sorry guys! It seems there are two cals with a similar title. I meant to post my spiral scrapghan pic in the other one.

But.....since you asked, tahlara, you can find pattern information here.

But it's not really an afghan pattern, just general directions. It gets you started with 4 rnds and then just says increase each rnd by 9 sts. I had to get a calculator out to figure out how best to do that, then discovered that all you do is increase into the increase of the previous row. Then I could stop counting, and it was easy sailing.

It's really not as hard as it looks. Just a little awkward getting started. And it's not round but a 9-sided nonagon, the increases make 'corners'.

:mdust

Wow, its amazing how beautiful scraps turn out!

I started a 2 strand DC scrapghan, and despite how it pained me...I have made every effort NOT to pay any mind to whether the yarns "matched" or not.

I say this...I found a few combinations quite by accident that I just adore!

When I'm finished I think I'm going to choose one color to edge it with and pull it together!

xo

• 1 year later...

and I love it! I've never heard of a 3-sub before, but i loved the concept and started on it right away to get rid of some of my huge stash! I used 3 strands and an N hook and DC. It's really quite ugly, but I really like it!

I see that this cal isn't active anymore, but I had to comment anyways. My blanket is huge and heavy, but I have a feeling it's going to be the favorite blanket for my family of 5 to snuggle up with on the couch!

I'll take a pic later and post it!

Thanks for the great idea!

Michelle

post-34091-135897488554_thumb.jpg

I'm glad someone found this thread and resurected it! :yay I still have one of these laying around that I started for my son. I think that was about hmmm....a year or two ago!! I really should dig it out and work on it this next year. Goddness knows I have enough scraps laying around. :lol

i'm still working on mine. dint really have much scraps, so been doing multi colored ghans/items to build it up some and posted to free cycle/craigs list to find scraps. hoping i can work on it some after the holidays.

thank you for revitalyzing this thread. i hope others post their updates/rogress also

sandy

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great way to use up scraps. I really should dig mine out again and work on it as an alternate project while trying to get some baby blankets done. :yes It would be nice to have it on my ds bed this winter. (Oops! to late for that! Maybe in time for next winter. :lol)

I finished one it wasn't very big and my 9 yr old DD stole it fresh off the hook I need to snag it while she's in school tomarow and weave the ends in, I am working on another one it will go to my 7 yr old DS when I'm done with it then we will see how many scraps I have left afterwards to make another or if I will have to work on other stuff to make more scraps.

and I love it! I've never heard of a 3-sub before, but i loved the concept and started on it right away to get rid of some of my huge stash! I used 3 strands and an N hook and DC. It's really quite ugly, but I really like it!

I love it, I think it's beautiful :) I'd never heard of it before either but I think I'll put this down as a future project.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm about to start my second 3-SUB!

It's still the favorite afghan in my house...now I need to make a couple more for camping!

Thanks to whoever came up with this idea!

• 3 months later...

I know this thread was started long ago and is pretty quiet right now but I wanted to say that I read the whole thread and looked at all the pics. All of the 3SUB ghans are just beautiful and of course, now I want to make one :) Not sure if I will because I want to make some prayer shawls right now but who knows.

For some reason these afghans remind me of Lion Homespun Yarn.

Thanks for posting all the pretty pics.

• 4 weeks later...

I see that this cal isn't active anymore, but I had to comment anyways. My blanket is huge and heavy, but I have a feeling it's going to be the favorite blanket for my family of 5 to snuggle up with on the couch!

I'll take a pic later and post it!

Thanks for the great idea!

Michelle

Just came across this post....that blanket is beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...

I started one of these last night... I'm useing three random balls out of my stash doing a row then grabing another random ball and switching out a random color. I love it so far! & I can work on it while watching t.v. =-]

I'm totally intrested in reviving this cal if anyone else is game I'll post a pic of mine soon

Archived