Scrap Afghan CAL

Doula4U

What a great idea - they are all beautiful and original and you don't have to follow a pattern, so it is a no-brainer for when you are watching tv or talking....

Do you have to use 3 strands of yarn??? Could it be just one - will it come out okay?

I will start soon....love this idea///:think

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 strands give it a "rainbow effect" and actually makes it look really good (okay maybe not the red/bright yellow/light tan... red and bright yellow don't go together:P even with tan to offset it). I changed mine when I ran out of one color, anywhere, even the middle (most likely) and then continued. So I would use 3 colors, red, white, blue... blue would run out, grab any color, say add a yellow... so it's red, white, yellow... then white rund out, and then add any color, say a green, then it's red, yellow, green... and so on.

2 strands work also. And can if you can't work with 3. Of course you can do a dc with 3 strands if it's too hard.

1 strand is doable. I've done tons of scrap yarn afghans with one.

I did one like Super Granny, but what i did is I did each row with the right side facing, working in back loops, except the 5th stitch was a long single crochet... next row, back loops, 6th st from end lsc, then every 5th st lsc... next row, back loops, 7th st from end, lsc, then every 5th st lsc, etc. It make it a diagnol effect. I used a different color each row. Turned out gorgeous I think. Gave it to my aunt who has grandkids, figured it is a scrap yarn, perfect for that, but I doubt she would use it for that, she loves my crochet work too much to just use it for anything (except the disclothes, so she's getting a ton of those for Christmas this year).

Debbi

Help! I started this last night (ok.. I cheated and bought two skeins of yarn to coordinate with) but I'm making it for a gift for my boyfriend. I have lots of yarn colors that will go with his house, and thought this would be fun and fast. But, I think I made my chain too tight. I used a Q hook I think (it was huge, pale blue plastic, and from Walmart) My first two rows are kindof ruffly looking... what did I do wrong? I'm sortof new to crochet, and BRAND new to afghans. My attention span is too short for that.

I think you did crochet the first chain too tight. If you want you can take it out and redo it, or it may even it self out, but maybe not. If you start over, you can use a Q hook for the chian and then move to a P hook (smaller) for the afghan, a few crocheters do that to make sure the beginning chain is lose. If you want to use a Q hook throughout, just make sure the beginning chain is very lose. It's fine if it's very, very lose, too. Maybe practice a few times by doing a chain of 10 or so and practice a few times by making the chain, doing the first row, taking it all out and repeating.

Good luck.

Debbi

PS: I "cheated" by not using the same color family (light blue & dark blue). And it's not really cheating, this is just a free for all afghan sort of thing. Whatever you want.

• 4 weeks later...

It's kind of quiet in here :think How's everyone doing? I haven't worked on this in awhile, I have been "saving" scraps so that I can dedicate several hours to one sitting on this. Since it works up so quickly I needs lots of scraps.

My daughter (11 yrs old) is learning to crochet and I told her she could use and scraps she wanted. So now she is making her first afghan with them, which uses up some of it but that's okay with me. I am really proud of her.

• 4 weeks later...
i think i really need this afghan to finish a lot of my yarn and could convince hubby to buy more:lol

Could work! And if you did one your hubby would probably love it as you made almost a free afghan:lol .

I almost finished another one a few weeks ago (forgot to post here about it). I want to add more rows. Did it in double crochet and used a P hook (I think, need to check my notes). I'm making it for my Aunt. It has tons of verigated throughout, I did that on purpose. 1-to use it up. 2-because then she could use it as a throw on the floor for her grandkids and if they spill somehting you can't see the spill through all the various colors:lol . My aunt loves yard sales and believes in using up things to the very end, so I think this will work. Plus once she said to use up my left over yarn on some bed slippers for her sister (I make them for her just about every year), but I had enough yarn I didn't have to:blush .

Debbi

• 2 weeks later...

I started one of these afghans. I'm doing 3 strands and DC. Well, 3 rows of DC then 1 row of HDC. It's soooo thick and warm! My husband wants it--he told me I couldn't give this one away. I started it, of course, to use up all my yarn so I could start out fresh in January. This blanket uses a LOT of yarn! Love it-love it--love it....

• 2 months later...

Hey ladies....forgot about this cal. I started a 3 sub before christmas. It was set aside to finish some christmas projects but I should be picking it back up soon. i am usind three strands and DC. I only have a few rows done and you all are right. It takes up alot of yarn but thats great because I have alot of stash that I need to use up.

I have another one almost finished (another one of my WIPs:blush). I found double crochet works up quick. The other one is using verigated/multi-color yarn as one strand and it looks actually really good. I did mine in all single crochet and it took forever. Plus it's huge. Keep plugging away and it will come.:yes

Debbi

A 3SUB is an afghan made with 3 strands of yarn held together SUB stands for strand ugly blanket blanket I believe. To make one use the three strands and a big hook and any stitch you want and crochet away. Mine is an N hook and i am using DC.

• 8 months later...

WHEW! i finished the non-scrap ghan for the friends niece who was diagnosed w/ cervical cancer, so now I have been able to focus here a bit more.

This wknd, I have worked on my small granny scrappy. I needed to make quite a few more of the 5 round 1's. I think I have enough of the 7 round 1's tho, just need to decide if I want to trim them all alike or just put them together.

I also wove some ends on granny daughters, and did a few rows on the one im working on. (it's in leisure arts, "old-timey scrap afghans" book; not the 1 where you crochet around each granny and do a join as you go method).

I have been working on the friends/family square afghan also (was posted at c'ville). I have been doing the center parts only, but not the cc for the last 2 rows. I got about 8 w/ the cc's on them and ends woven.

didnt work on my 2-sub (dont have enough scraps to really do a 3-sub) but am working on trying to get more scraps for it. lol.

I think thats all. :think:think:think

Oh, the flamingo ghan, not a scrappy tho. havent worked on lately.

WHEW! I think I need a vacation :D

Sandy

This was the orgional post. I love the thought of not having a color scheme for the afghan!!!!!!

Gonna have to do this one soon. I have so much yarn I need to work through.

I'm interested in starting a 3 strand scrap afghan CAL (aka: 3SUB [3Strand Ugly Blanket]). This afghan would be any stitch you like to use. Just grab 3 different yarns out of your stash and start crocheting. When one ball/skein is used up attach another color and keep on going. The more mixed up the yarn the better. No color scheme's allowed. :) Just close your eyes and randomly pick the next color(s) to work with.

I have one that is 1/4 started and thought it would be fun to do this with others and share how wild our afghans can be. :)

Any takers?

Archived