Scrap Afghan CAL

Doula4U

Your 3SUB is GREAT! How much time do you get a day to work on it? I know what you mean by being awkward. I can't take it "out" anymore because mine is so huge. And I rarely get crochet time at home.

Thanks Doula4u :hug, for the lovely compliment on my 3SUB.. I work mostly on mine during evening hours while watching tv, plus I'm pretty much a night owl, so between the computer and working around the house I get a few inches worked in...I'm really ready to have this one finished, and as Debbi said it is a great way to learn the way colors mix and blend together. I will know from this experience what NOT to blend together to get a pretty effect.. The red and bright yellow looks pretty yucky :ohdear in mine, too, but at least I see what colors do look nice together.

I'm eager to see y'alls beautiful blankets, so please do post a piccy if you have one, or when you get your SUB finished... :yes

Thanks again - Peyton :hook

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I worked on mine some more. I was stressed yesterday from my day job and went to bed early, then woke up thinking about it:no so I got up and worked on this afghan. I did decide not to deal with tangled yarn and cut one I was using, I couldn't deal with it... :P ... I choose 2 new colors (as one ran out by itself) and used red, white and blue together and thought that looked so nice! I think an entire afghan in red,white and blue, all together would be gorgeous. I like this afghan for that reason, I know now for sure that bright yellow and red do not go together:no even with a light tan mixed in... LOL. But some other colors do. This will be great to look at when I want to use 3 colors in a project.

Oh I need about 5 more inches (maybe that few) to finish and then a boarder (maybe) and I'm done!

Debbi

I agree with you Debbi on the red, white, and blue being a gorgeous afghan.. I put the red/white/blue colors together in my SUB someplace, and said 'WOW' now this would make a beautiful blanket.. Also another color combination of pale mint green, medium torquoise and and off white/soft white color together is beautiful.. It would make a lovely baby afghan.. This has been a great learning experiment with color, so I'm glad I joined this CAL for that reason alone...:D

• 5 weeks later...

I was lurking for a while and saw this thread. It motivated me to bust my stash. :D

I'm not sure if it is acceptable but because I had a ton of black, black is the only constant throughout. The other 2 colours get picked by my 3 children. :)

:welcome Truffles!!

I'm not doing this Cal but Keep an eye on all the pretties,here

What you and the kids are hookin up sounds:interest

If you love it, I know we're gonna

:clap:hook:cheer Great 'ghans here everybody

I'm not sure if it is acceptable but because I had a ton of black, black is the only constant throughout. The other 2 colours get picked by my 3 children. :)

Here it is:

scraphanje0.jpg

I think next time I'll do a shell or bobble. I wasn't sure how this was going to look so I did a very, very easy stitch.

Truffles that looks great! One strand of black sounds fine to me. I did a lot of red because I just happened to have those (found 3 different shades:think ).

I haven't worked on mine because it's been too hot. I think I'm probably done though.

Anyone else (looks like Truffles doesn't have one) not doing a boarder around theres? I was thinking of not doing one (then I'd probably be done;) ) but not sure yet.

Debbi

I was contemplating a border but then I decided not to because this will be for the basement for my young kids and the cat. :lol My kids think "it's bee-yoo-ti-full, mommy" as it is and I don't think the cat really cares. ;)

I was thinking mine really is long enough. Maybe I could lay it down and weave in the ends. Then it's not on me and too hot. Just sit on it or near it. All the ends are on one side (I did that on purpose so I could get an idea of what it would look like finished).

I'm thinking of not doing a boarder. It's just for me and it looks fine without one, the edges are straight. Then I'd take it outside to lay flat to take a picture. If I want I could add more next winter to it, or make another one, I have enough yarn right now:blush :yes

Debbi

Ok, I'm signing up for my first CAL here. The scrap CAL is perfect as I have so many skeins of yarn, I dont have anywhere to put it all. Even all of my "hiding" places are packed! Besides, there are some new colors out in Caron yarn I would love to have, but I promised myself, no new yarn until I can open my hiding place drawers without disassembling the cabinet! lol.....Debbie in Wisconsin

I finished my first tootsie warmer for hospice today. As soon as I can get some time, I will try to post. I used the Caron one pounder scraps I had and it did make my stash look a little, very very little, smaller. Next, I am starting the lumberjack flannelghan! And probabaly another 3 strander.

lol...Debbie

uwcheese

A great way to use up stash is rugs, they take three to four strands and a Q hook. First you make a huge chain out of all three/four strands (long enough to finish a rug), then find a circular or oval pattern (should be easy to find) and single crochet the giant chain you just made into a rug of any size. If you run out of chain to crochet with, stop and chain some more, then sc some more, chain some more, etc. until the rug is the desired size. Great for doggie mats.

Anita I've done rugs too. One was on annies attic a while back (actually there's another one today) that was an oval one I did with 3 strands. If you use the verigated yarns it looks woven.

This afghan is another great way to use up scraps. Boy will you. I couldn't believe how much I used (and still have). I would like to do another one in the fall/winter.

Debbi

well, I got some yarn out, and started my ghan last night. I don't have very much done yet, only 8 rows I think, but its going fine. Not too pretty right now though. I'm taking you all at your word about waiting a bit and see how pretty it is...lol

Patty

If it wasn't so hot, I would join you as I have tons more yarn. I wonder if I could do one in squares? Of course I need to finish some more projects. Of course that would be different to do small squares. Maybe with 2 strands, similar to a pot holder, but a little larger. I'm doing an afghan right now with 1 strand and 12" and that works for this hot weather.

Even if it does't end up really pretty (and it will) these are great to have anyway.

Debbi

Debbi,

You could always take it in the car with you. We almost always have the air on in the car. Just a thought. Don't get me wrong, I'm just thinking out loud and saying what works for me. You surely don't have to do this cal with me...lol.

Patty

Patty, you're fine think outloud. Unfortunately I can't drive and crochet at the same time. :lol That would work though as I have the a/c on too and it can get cold. Once our a/c gets fixed I may be able to finish up afghan. I have a few more rows I want to do and maybe a boarder, but not sure yet.

Debbi

Hi everyone!! I would love to join you while I complete my Scrap afghan!:hook

I work it as I finish other projects........will post pictures later tonight if I get a chance!

Archived