New crocheters troubles

Hi all,

I've got a group of 2 right now. That seems like a good number for me. We've learned the single crochet and a turning chain. Now we're starting a project.

Once we begun the project with "directions" one of the students seemed to forget everything she had learned in the previous 2 weeks. Is this normal. She cried and dropped her yarn and hook. It is very emotional for her as she was attempting to learn to knit when her father passed away. How can I help this lady get over these hurdles?

Marilynn

I've not taught crochet but I'm a teacher by training. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

How often is the group meeting? If it's every week or longer, are you giving them "homework"? She should be practicing at home. What kind of resource materials do they have? If she had a website or a DVD or something to follow along at home, that might reinforce her skills and then make her feel more calm and confident.

Poor thing. I feel sorry for her; it shouldn't be such a struggle.

Good luck! You sound like a very kind and compassionate teacher! :manyheart

:eek oh no

It's sounds like you are going to do the right thing, starting with scrap yarn and a swatch, maybe practicing will build her confidence, and the "lightbulb" will go on and she will "get it" and then feel more comfortable going on to an actual pattern.

Good Luck! and let us know how it goes.

It is normal to forget from week to week. Our minds are on so many things these days, that it is hard to remember everything. Be sure to give out handouts and ask that they practice if they have the time. Or recommend a good book for them to get from the library that would help.

Good luck teaching.

:manyheart

Archived